Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olivier REIX
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

We played last night and we basically had a question about the traitor part. To us, it seems to have been added after the rest of the game and we were wondering if the was a reason for this.

What would happen if we remove the traitor possibility ? Did you test the game without it ?

We supposed that it had more possibilities to finish the game quickly. Or maybe that it was too static without it ? Is that the case ?

Thanks for the answers

Olivier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

The traitor phase has always been an integral part of Tara, Seat of Kings - you can't really have a game about struggling for power without the idea of infiltrators and spies!

I'm sure you've seen how powerful gaining a traitor can be (it affects your and other players incomes, sets up for a King in the next round, prevents the gaining of a King etc), so it is a part of the game which encourages sneaky play ie. I really DON'T want to be the dominant player in a region - 2nd place in that region will do!

For more background info, I'd encourage you to visit our website and read Alan Paull's article about how he designed the game (and why!) - www.surprisedstaregames.co.uk (click on the TARA icon)

Hope you are enjoying the game!

Best wishes,

Tony Boydell
(Designer of Coppertwaddle & Bloody Legacy, One half of the Design Team at Surprised Stare Games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier REIX
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had already been on the site and had read the author's notes. They mention a lot of evolution but not the traitor part, as far as I have seen.

Do you mean that playing without it has never been tried ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played a game of Tara WITHOUT the traitor phase - and that's a LOT of games of Tara! It would take away one tactical aspect of the game ie. to aim to get the traitor yourself for your own benefit. Without it, I think the playing of the cards would be too sterile, and unlucky positions too difficult to get out of!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd echo Tony's comment there that the Traitor is a fairly crucial part of the design - I've lost too many games by either not dominating a region enough to make the Traitor relatively insignificant or, alternatively, not having quite enough strength in a region to take advantage of one when I had the chance.
Taking it away would mean that a number of decisions about how heavily you move into a region become uninteresting, especially if you play after your main rival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paull
United Kingdom
HUNTINGDON
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReiXou wrote:
I had already been on the site and had read the author's notes. They mention a lot of evolution but not the traitor part, as far as I have seen.

Do you mean that playing without it has never been tried ?

The Traitor was always in Tara, Seat of Kings. One of the game's earlier incarnations (King of the Castle) had various experimental types of traitor-like effects - it was played without at a very early design stage, but the system needs the unbalancing effect of the Traitor as an extra concern for players when placing pieces and as an extra tactical measure to prevent players executing a 'traditional' conquest strategy.

Alan Paull

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier REIX
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.