GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,111 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Hanabi» Forums » General

Subject: Hanabi Terminology rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Tempest
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello helpful Internet folk

I've been looking through the Hanabi forum, very interested in the game, but cannot decipher some of the terms being used.

"Chop card" being the primary one, but there are several concepts and terms that I cannot make sense of or find a definition.

I appreciate that several things would become more apparent when playing, but I'm surprised that I could not find the answer to what some of these terms meant.

Could some kind fireworker please explain or provide a link to a post I could not find, that clarifies some of these terms?

Thank you very much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not sure if a "definition" post exists, but probably most of the terms that you're coming across (eg: "finesse", "bluff", I'm guessing?) are defined in some of the "advanced strategy guides" that are kicking around these forums. Also, many play groups discovered these tactics independently, and named them, so there are a bunch of different terms for the same concept.

I'll do a quick definition of some of these terms below - if there are other terms that you're unclear about, ask away. But

***WARNING*** : The following contains spoilers. Reading about these tricks and tactics means you can't discover them yourself, which is some of the fun of Hanabi.

"Chop card"
Spoiler (click to reveal)

The card which, next time you choose to take a discard action, you will discard, baring other information.

Finesse

Players A, B, and C sit in that order. Player A gives a clue to player C, which only makes sense to Player B if Player B has a card in his hand that is playable (eg: A clues C's Blue 4, but the table only has a blue 2). So player B plays that card (eg: Blue 3), without having known it was in their hand before the clue.

Bluff

Similar to a Finesse - except the card that Player B ends up playing isn't the card that unlocks Player C's card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gubisi Róbert
Hungary
Székesfehérvár
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More terminology: http://forum.boardgamearena.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4860&p=1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Robb"]Finesse

Players A, B, and C sit in that order. Player A gives a clue to player C, which only makes sense to Player B if Player B has a card in his hand that is playable (eg: A clues C's Blue 4, but the table only has a blue 2). So player B plays that card (eg: Blue 3), without having known it was in their hand before the clue.

How does B know which one to play if they haven't been clued already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
Robb wrote:
Finesse

How does B know which one to play if they haven't been clued already?
Again a spoiler:
Conventions probably differ, but typically it's either (a) a card that B new something about, but not enough to be confident playing it (eg, B had a card that she knew was blue), or (b) the newest card in B's hand, which is the most likely to be newly playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
In scenario (a) I usually call that a pseudo-finesse since it depended on the prior information and was not a "pure" finesse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverse Finesse
Like the Finesse above but the positions of Players B and C are reversed and the clue is given to Player B with the expectation that they will wait a turn and let Player C play the finessed card blind first.

Double/Triple Finesse
A Finesse that pulls out multiple cards from one or more players based on a clue to a much higher card. e.g. Player A knows they have two blue cards which are B2 and B3 and they then draw the B4 which causes me to clue Player B's B5 as "Blue". (this actually happened and actually worked given the particular situation.)

Comment about "advanced" play
All of these techniques are aimed at getting more plays out of a clue and most of them are very effective. There is a danger, however, that advanced players will get too clever or fancy and overuse these tools in ways that are confusing or lead to bad plays or frustration. Sometimes the simpler answer is the better one and you never have all of the information since you almost never have perfect information about your own cards. You have to learn to understand your teammates and to trust them.

A common situation that can come up, particularly with play-and-hold (see the thread about that if you want to know more), is that once players have information about one or more cards, it can become impossible to finesse out their newest tile because the finesse clue might implicate the previously clued tiles and they cannot tell it is a finesse and not a pseudo-finesse. If the player giving the clue doesn't realize the player already knows that information and will find the finesse ambiguous, the result can be disastrous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And my advice if you have never played with finesse is NOT do to so until you feel you fully master the game without them.

Finesses are very advanced play and a huge source of strikes if you read a finesse in a more basic move. So master the basics first, and once you're shielded, try finesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.