GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,341 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How much shelf space will I need for about 100 games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I am looking at getting shelves for about 100 games; they range in box size from 'No Thanks' (smallest) to 'Lords of Waterdeep' (largest).

Most likely i will get Ikea, possibly the 4x4 Kallax.

From your experience, about how much shelving space will i need?

Does it make a difference if I stack games flat rather than vertically?

Cheers,
Tod
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the 4x4 Kallax could be enough. I have a 4x4 Expedit (same dimensions as the Kallax) with 50-odd games, plus lots of expansions. I also store my vinyl, comics, toys and other random stuff there so you should be good. I store my games both horizontal and vertical, depending on box size, weight etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My badly organised Expedit: 5 or 6 games not pictured. Some of the bigger boxes are on top of the unit. The covered section contains my X-Wing Miniatures. I put the paper in front to stop them collecting dust, until I find a nice glass display cabinet for them. Each section can store at least 4 games, so you're looking at storage for at least 128 64 games, plus whatever you store on top. Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn. You own cave evil. Is it good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great! Check out my review here: Shameless Plug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the quick replies.

Thinking quickly, if each section of the 4x4 Kallax holds about 4 games, then the 16 sections could hold 64 games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You registered 1,5 yr ago, and you now need space for 100 games.....

That means that you need space for 200 games in another 1,5 yrs....

So, why not immediately go for that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! You're correct! I don't know where I plucked 128 from! blush
Hmm, it is early for me. Haven't had my coffee yet. Excuses excuses...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moorwild wrote:

That is what I am trying to avoid.
My hope is that limited shelf space will stop me accumulating... but I doubt it will work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 4x4 might work, depending on how many small boxes you have. My games fit in one (large) bookcase, but I also have a nearby lidded clear plastic storage tub to hold small card size boxes (i.e. The Great Heartland Hauling Co., etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Williams
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a 4x4 Kallax with a 2x4 Kallax stacked on top. They are storing my 275+ collection with some room to spare. I turned the 2x4 on it's side and reconfigured the shelves to have a 1x2 opening for larger games. It works great and they are fairly inexpensive. It all depends on how big your game boxes are.(Just saw a 5x5 Kallax at Ikea last week)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tod_13 wrote:
moorwild wrote:

My hope is that limited shelf space will stop me accumulating... but I doubt it will work.

Let me be the first to say, That you can in fact do this! Over the past 6 years, I've cut back from 200 or so games to only having 56 (+expansions) {and about 15 or 20 of those I wouldn't mind giving away at a yard sale}. This helps not only my wallet and storage issues, but also deciding on what game to play! I try to only keep those that are really interesting for me and my family. It also helps with what to bring to my gaming group. If, for whatever reason, I don't want to play anything in my collection, no problem. I just walk out the door with nothing in hand and play whatever someone else has brought (I live on the fourth floor with no elevator). Keeping so few games has not hindered the variety of games I have gotten to play either. (see my geeklist)So far this year I've played 80 different games with almost 250 plays in total.

When I decided to start culling and trading, my thoughts were centered around not only the number of games in my collection, but also the volume. Now the bulk of my collection resides above my kitchen cabinets (I'm tall and we don't cook much). But it is difficult to separate myself from the one or two oversized coffin like boxes that still reside.

Sorry to drone on, and I'm not trying to be a buzz kill or anything. I just want people to be encouraged that if they truly want to keep some sort of lid on this hobby, that it can be done and is, in fact, not all that difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
tod_13 wrote:
moorwild wrote:

It won't work. You will find ways to fit more games into a space that you think can fit only 100. When you get to about 108, you will buy more shelving. So it is written. So it shall be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
tod_13 wrote:
moorwild wrote:

It won't work. You will find ways to fit more games into a space that you think can fit only 100. When you get to about 108, you will buy more shelving. So it is written. So it shall be done.

Agreed, because then you will start putting expansions in the base boxes - which in turn makes more room. Then one will "go on the floor" - followed by others. Trust me, it's not possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space has never been a deterrent for any collector in my experience.

It seems like it should be, but it's not.

You can keep a lid on the hobby (but it's like a boiling pot, so don't expect it to be easy) but space concerns, sadly, won't do it.

So get two shelves.

Edit: gamer joke:

"How much shelf space will I need for 100 games?"

answer: "double that amount."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
Space has never been a deterrent for any collector in my experience.

It seems like it should be, but it's not.

Yeah. When I consider buying new games, "where will I store them?" is generally near the bottom of my "reasons not to buy them" list. If I really want a game, I will buy it and figure out the shelving configuration later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Bonilla
United States
Winneconne
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100 games is a pretty abstract concept. Too many box sizes out there and some games demand extra boxes for their expansions.

That's my setup from a couple months ago. It's actually changed slightly since then, but as you can see the black shelving unit (from wal-mart since I've no Ikeas near me) hold 4-5 big box games per shelf.

But you can also see I've got all sorts of tiny games slotted into nooks and Supersize games on top of the unit.

That is slightly fewer than 174 games plus expansions, RPG books and magic cards on those 2 units pictured (174 is the current count for that room, but I know it's changed since Tabletop Day).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geddon wrote:
The covered section contains my X-Wing Miniatures. I put the paper in front to stop them collecting dust, until I find a nice glass display cabinet for them. ]

Thread hi-jack.

Amazon here in the US has this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sugatsune-Stay-Degree-Close-White/dp/B...

Perhaps your side of the pond has something like that.

Get some Plexiglas for cheap too and use it vs glass and you can oogle them while they await their next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.