England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon first opening Through The Deserts box, the first thing I noticed was the lack of components inside. For a box so fairly large I was maybe expecting more. You get a nice cloth drawstring bag of components, a large board (which does justify the box length/width) and a single page colourful glossy rules sheet.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the board would have benefitted from another fold, or could have been supplied as a jig-board. This would have allowed it to be supplied in a smaller box (as much as half the box size again). The bag of components would still have fitted in - with the depth of the box still being deep enough.

Also the single bag of camels makes for a lot of downtime during setup. Maybe a bag for each colour of camel would have been better. I would like to know if other players use different ways to store their Camels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Li
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Size of a Camel!
zombiegod (#17379),

The many different camels necessitates the storage of the camels of the same colour in their own bags. The only thing I put in the drawstring bag are the palm trees and the starting riders and their respective camels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Zamira
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're right about everything. I just got the game last night, (the German version) and couldn't figure out why the box was so big. The game board didn't fill the box and the game pieces could have fit in a smaller box. The cardboard spacer that holds the game board takes up most the room. That bag for the camels make it take longer to set up the game than play it. Everything is very good quality but they could have designed the box with compartments for the price of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralf gutzeit
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
zombiegod (#17379), You could use a small zip lock bag for leaders as they should be seperated from the group. Also, for the ultimate in efficiency and play value you could have had a map on each side of the board. This would have increased the cost however. You're right about box size as they are often too large for the contents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod (#17379),

And I would suggest that you sort the camels AFTER each game, rather than trying to do it BEFORE the game. Obviously, if you are storing them in individual bags, you will have to do this. Much easier to sort them at the end, (when they are all grouped on the board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
db3000 wrote:
Also, for the ultimate in efficiency and play value you could have had a map on each side of the board. This would have increased the cost however. You're right about box size as they are often too large for the contents.

My guess would be that the size of the box reduced the cost of the game, as it used a "standard" box, instead of a custom one. Or maybe it was the combo of the box-size and the board-size. Anyway, it would have been nicer to be smaller, but it's a great game regardless of it's size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralf gutzeit
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
Joe Casadonte (#17480), You're right that Through the Desert is a great game regardless of the box size. Actually, when i stated that the game would cost more i was referring to the addition of making a different map on the reverse side and not the box size. Extra work and printing. I think it would have been worth the additional expense however. I also have a theory that German game companies believe that bigger(in terms of box size) is better. As a result, the bigger box size often translates into a bigger price tag. As a rule, i like bookshelf size games and tend to dislike oversized game boxes. If the game warrants a large oversized box then that's fine, if not it's abit annoying as shelf space is not unlimited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleister Finchley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Computer games used to be in oversized boxes, but now come in DVD boxes (in the UK). I wish they'd do the same with board games - erm, I don't mind playing games using magnifying glass and tweezers.

Yaquinto had the right idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perdurab00 (#17496), Computer games and music CD's are all good examples of boxes that have shrunk over time. I dare say that gameboxes would shrink too if a decent roll/fold-up substitute could ever be found for gameboards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob (#17507),

Speaking of roll-up substitutes, I have the tube version of Pente and the playing mat is great. I could see this idea working well for other games although cost might be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the rolled-up version of Pirateer, and the board is great!

Also, regarding Through the Desert's box: I just got back from a vacation where I took a small suitcase full of games. I actually took advantage of TTD's box - inside it, I fit: Through The Desert; Carcassonne (plus Inn&Cathedrals expansion); Set; The Very Clever Pipe Game; the "flags" for Battle Line; and Dungeoneer (in a Rook Capsule). I also put in the rule sheets for a few other card games (Bohnanza, Battle Line..) whose cards I put into a separate card box. Very space-efficient!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Dickinson
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
zombiegod (#17379),

Besides the manufacturing/ printing issues mentioned, the size of the box could have been driven by marketing concerns.

I used to work for a construction toy company (K'NeX), and box sizes and grahics were the topic of much debate. If a product is expensive to produce (as high-quality, relatively low-volume injection molded plastic things tend to be) and also small, then using the most efficient box can result in a product that doesn't present well on the shelf. If TTD were sold in a box that was half its current size, it might not seem at first glance to justify its price. "They want $30 for THAT little thing?" As the marketing department will tell you, that first glance is crucial.

One large retailer (Wal-Mart) even went so far as to ask us to develop kits that used very few parts but were packaged in a large box, to be sold for a low price. The idea was to wow the customer with a really big box at a low price point ($9.99). We wound up throwing about thirty parts (enough for a small car) and a vacuum-formed ramp into a 12" x 12" x 4" box. Shady, if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.