Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an enjoyable saturday at home this weekend, playing Mutant Chronicles with my girlfriend and two mates. I have played the game alot, but never been able to finish a campaign. Last time I played was atleast 10 years ago. This time, I'm hoping we'll be able to finish it over time. The other players were Marie, Johan and Jocke. None of them had played the game before.

We started out with assembling the playing field for the first mission, while I explained the rules. It went pretty well and I even found a few rules we had neglected when playing it "way back when". I got Imperial, Marie got Mishima, Jocke got Cybertronic and Johan got Bauhaus.

First mission
A short and straight forward mission where the doomtroopers only need to kill off 20 points worth of enemies and then escape the board to collect their reward.

I volunteered to be the Legion player in the first mission. The doomtroopers split up between the two deployment sectors. Cybertronic and Steiner started in sector 1 (closest to the citadel) while Mishima (with their increased movement) and Valerie started in the sector below.

The turn order couldn't have started better for the doom troopers, as I (the legion player) got the first action in the first round and had no troopers to beat up on. I took my reinforcements (a necro mutant and two legionaires) and placed them far away from the doomtroopers. Initial tactic was to skulk about, play evasive and try to deny the doomtroopers the points they needed to complete the assignment.

This proved to be a poor tactic, or atleast poorly executed by me. I didn't want to cheese out completely as it might put the others off the game. While it was a close call wether they would get the final precious points or not, I never really doubted what the outcome would be. A victory for the dooomtroopers, who got away almost unscathed. I managed to almost kill off one of the Cybertronic troopers, who got caught in a gaggle of legionaires but those were the only wounds I inflicted.

Bauhaus was the clear leader, already on level 2. Imperial was left behind with three measly points.

Second mission
Next up was the mission where the doomtroopers flee from the Ezoghoul. This is usually a win for the Legion player, who was Bauhaus this time.

Things started out nicely, the doomtroopers managed to go for the stairs quickly. The second combat round things went south though. The legion player's event card allowed him to teleport one of the legion minis as a movement action and ofcourse we all of a sudden had an ezoghoul standing in front of us in the stairs. With a lucky draw of turn counters, we managed to squeeze past the ezoghoul and up on the elevated part of sector 8. By the end of round 3 we had all the doomtroopers assembled just outside of sector 8. A few legionaires and necromutants blocked our way, but it looked like we'd be able to escape, all in one piece. The ezoghoul had to waste a full turn chasing after us and if only we were lucky with the turn draw again, we'd be more or less safe.

What happened next was an 8 credit win for the legion player. Imperial had a full wasted turn, as they were locked in by other doomtroopers in turn 4 Cybertronic and Mishima failed to punch through the blocking enemies and then it was the legion's turn. Well, look at that... "Nefariten förvrider verkligheten" as the swedish event card reads.

The nepharite shows up and allows the legion player to switch location for two sectors. Ofcourse he swapped the sector which the ezoghoul started out on, with the sector all doomtroopers were on. The only one who got out was one of the Cybertronic guys who had a doomtrooper card allowing him to teleport. The rest of us were stuck. The ezoghoul mopped the floor with both Imperial and one Mishima trooper. Would've been more casualties if the legion player hadn't rolled such crummy dice. The ezoghoul once failed to wound on all three attacks!

Once again, Bauhaus was the clear winner. His doomtroopers were now level 3, while Mishima and Cybertronic were level 2 and Imperial stuck on level 1. Cashing in 7 credits also put him way ahead in the monetary department. Especially compared to Imperial who still only got the 2 starting credits.

I'm hoping to arrange another sitting soon, as I'm itching to bring my lowly Imperials to grand heights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curse those Eaoghouls angry! They'll get you every time...

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Can't wait to play this one again myself (been about a year or so...)

Ever played "Fury of the Clansmen" by any chance? It;s another great Mutant Chronicles game.

Good luck next round. Too bad the scenarios get pretty much more and more hopeless...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, we never picked it up "back then" and I haven't been too compelled to look it up second hand. I'll see how this takes off with the other guys and if they enjoy it I might look FotC up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report - we played w/3 players last night & the same stupid alternate reality thing ate our lunch.

There are no reinforcement points on the 2nd scenario map - where do the Legion troops come on? (We played anywhere... I'd love to hear we were wrong!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.