Firestorm Planetfall: Battle for Proteus Prime» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Planetfall Miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
flag msg tools
This is a review of the models that come with the Proteus Prime starter set for Planetfall. I've copied an inventory of what you get down below for quick reference.

We played this game for the first time yesterday using a friend's starter set. I have held off buying in largely due to the starter set's higher price (MSRP $140 USD) I wanted to play the game a few times and also wanted to see what quality the miniatures were. Our friend had not done any significant work on the minis other than assembling them. He had not done any major clean up of mold lines, priming, nor painting.

The game is set at 10mm scale so the average soldier in the game is about 1/3 of an inch high (or thereabouts) and vehicles/terrain are made in the same proportions. The models come in a white resin with some models requiring metal bits as supplemental pieces. For example, the Directorate troop transport (a half track looking vehicle called the Intruder) has a metal piece on top that looked, to me, like some sort of weapon and/or smoke launcher. Infantry bases are largely resin with a hole left in the rectangular base to allow placement of a metal infantry figure. That is, most of the infantry on a base will be resin with only one figure (maximum) being metal. Was told the metal minis allow you to customize the infantry units so you can give them, for example, missile launchers/other heavy weapons.

All the models come on a scenic base that's textured to represent the soil, rocks and other terrain that the vehicle/infantry are occupying. Treaded vehicles have molded track marks left behind the vehicle to show where they've moved. The infantry bases are more like small dioramas with troops crouching behind walls and obstacles and casualties littered around. The Aquans (fish-oid aliens) have hover vehicles so they have little plastic pieces that make them appear to float over their textured terrain bases.

I have played miniatures games heavily over the past 15 years and collected miniatures for other gaming for over 30 years. I also am not new to Spartan's games and was a little skeptical going in. These vehicles and infantry are definitely a cut above. The castings were very sharp and crisp and there was a good amount of detail in my opinion. The work that Spartan Games have done to design the molds to minimize mold lines is some of the best I've seen.

My friend's set could be primed and painted as-is and would look great. If you've ever done much clean-up of mold lines on resin/resin plastic (restic) models then you understand just how significant minimal/no mold lines is to enjoying the building and painting process.

Inventory of Miniatures from Proteus Prime:

Aquan Core Helix
1 x 'Sedna' Heavy Skimmer Tank
3 x 'Lamana' Medium Skimmer Tanks
4 x 'Imzani' Light Recon Skimmer Tanks
1 x 'Sirsir' Medium Skimmer Designator Tank
2 x 'Votari' Crystal Nodes
5 x Bases of Aquan 'Khitari' Infantry

Directorate Core Helix
1 x 'Desolator' Heavy Battle Crawler Tank
3 x 'Retaliator' Medium Battle Crawlers Tanks
5 x 'Informer' Light Recon Buggies
2 x 'Trojan' Cyber Warfare Tanks
1 x 'Intruder' Combat Personnel Carrier
5 x Bases of Directorate 'Patriot' Shock Infantry

In summary, the miniatures in this starter set are top notch and highly recommended.

I am holding off judgment on the actual rule system for Planetfall until I've got some more games under my belt. I will note I'm looking forward to more plays so I can properly judge
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.