Popular Tags: canada [+] [View All]
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey, who says Mark L is the only one who can post these things?

Big group out last night, with 3 tables of 4+ players each for much of the evening. My tables were:

1. TransAmerica. Bob, Angus, Andrew, and myself played. I _believe_ Andrew won but I kinda lost track as my runaway train smashed its way off the board. I know I was furthest-from-being-the-winner.

2. Pirateer. Noah subbed for Angus (so it was Bob, Noah, Andrew, and I)... but he didn't survive long. After a short skirmish for the gold in Andrew's corner, he made a lateral-around-the-world move and gave himself a longer path home.. and then proceeded to dodge us as he made that run home. Finished with a 4-6 roll that Noah prophetically pre-announced.

3. Oshi. While I was setting up RoboRally and Bob was setting to leave. Angus and Bob played a quick round of Angus' new 2-player abstract. It was a close battle but Angus eventually put Bob into a no-win situation.

4. RoboRally. Andrew, a reluctant Noah, Angus, and myself. Some boards I thought would make for a quick game really didn't. Andrew sprung out to an early lead after picking up the Robo Copter option card, but when Noah caught up and then drew the Big Jet, it gave him an insurmountable lead. Once he was a full board ahead of the pack Noah took his time getting to the final flag, which he touched on the same turn as some of us first breached the edge of the final board.

5. Wizard. Steven (Stephen?), Noah, Angus, Andrew, and I finished the night with the card game Wizard. Once again Andrew emerged victorious.

If the other tables could report on what happened there... I believe I saw Railroad Tycoon and Goa played at MarkL/Jack/Sean's table... and Basari, Modern Art, and Sticheln at Martin's table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
I believe I saw Railroad Tycoon and Goa played at MarkL/Jack/Sean's table...
Tack Paul's name onto the end of that list, put a scoring valley between Jack and me, and you'll have the order of finish for both games.... I was happy to get the chance to try Railroad Tycoon (Thanks!) - like the game play but not particularly keen on the production. I suspect I rushed the teaching of Goa last night, but we muddled through okay - I'll try to do better next time....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this an open or closed gaming session?

I live in Ottawa aswell but most clubs don't work for me in terms of dates/times. I have started a group myself but am always curious to game with others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Very open. It's one of the TwoTuesdays 'groups' in Ottawa. Every second Tuesday a group meets at Broadways (Fisher at Price of Wales), and on the inbetween Tuesdays a mostly-different group meets at Zavida Coffee House in the Kanata Centrum (I believe there are two Zavida's and they meet in the one near the Harvey's, not the one near the cinema).

Both are open. The Zavida group has a 'membership card' that's, like, 5 bucks a year or something, but I believe that's only required to participate in the annual prize tournament and to get a game-store discount (Fandom II). You can show-up-and-play for free. They do annoucements, suggested games, and polling for attendance through a mailinglist, and if they cancel the session they cancel on the list - contact kanataboardgamers@yahoo.ca to get on the list and/or get more info.

The Broadways group isn't nearly so organized. We tend to announce in a thread here and then summarize in a thread here (or this week, two threads). But who and how many show, and what games are to be played, tend to be unpredictable. Settlers, Puerto Rico, and Tichu have been commonly played in recent months - though none of them got played last night. Things usually start at 6:30pm, and we're usually near the Fisher-side windows (when you go in the front doors, turn left and walk to the end of the line).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That probably explains it. I live in the market so getting to Kanata Centrum or Broadway's takes some effort. I'll keep an eye out in case I can make it sometime but I usually get off around 6pm so could be tricky. I actually have my gamenights at home and this weekend we managed to get 15 people in a one bedroom apartment (two tables - and managed three games at once). Quite a scene! I'm holding monthly game night on Sat. througout the winter.

If you ever think of it, let me know when the next Tues. at Broadway's comes up!

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.