GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,455 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

zollom
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my first try at Dark Elements and found it extremely difficult to avoid doom moving up on the track. Monsters were a piece of cake, as usual, but having to run through the campaigns were nearly impossible, trying to avoid moving doom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it on par with the previous co-ops. We didn't choose any characters with condition removal abilities which would have helped immensely, and
we used the apothecary class which had minor healing abilities - just enough to ensure we survived. The final room was easier than expected, though one more fate or doom advancement and we would have lost. In retrospect, if the final encounter card hadn't been shuffled onto the top of the last stack in set-up, we might not have made it!

Another good but weird (story) expansion! The second is probably still my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zollom
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, like most of them, 3 heroes is a minimum. 2 fighting the monsters and 1 accomplishing the task needed to get rid of the exploration card. Only thing, try not to get the task hero killed. The times I've defeated the final boss/exploration, I've basically ran through the dungeon preventing doom from moving and killing as I go.

I do agree with your assessment of class and exploration deck draw. I don't think I'll ever play again without the necromancer or beast master. Leave their familiar behind to mop up the annoying, weaker monsters; allowing you to race ahead to complete the task.

I also think the second co-op is the best of the three. Better story, great use of NPC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charmy 004
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really enjoyed the tense atmosphere of this one. The flavor text fosters a creepy, suffocating feeling, and the torchbearer mechanic and trying to always stay in the light makes every square of spacing between heroes even more critical.

I also like how some of the perils were potentially boons for the heroes as well, if managed correctly. It certainly made things easier.

Nature's Ire is for sure more challenging, but this one wins for me in terms of setting. I also love using expansion content, and want to see a lot more of that in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played 3 games of this now, two at three player and one at 4 players.
Got our butts well and truly kicked each time.

Boy it's hard as mustard.

Any more tips to beat this will be very much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charmy 004
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Few tips for beating it:

- Your party spends most of this adventure tightly grouped together because of the need to stay with the torchbearer, so use heroes that benefit from clustering (e.g. Leoric of the Book, Andira Runehand, Tomble, etc.)

- I found the bard a very powerful healer for this one. Their area of effect healing, condition removal, and Peaceful Rest skill makes them able to consistently deal with party burns (and there is a lot of burning in this one!) as well as efficient heals while the party keeps their stamina up.

- Runemaster is quite effective on this one because of high base Pierce + Runic Knowledge. A whopping 3 enemies on this adventure have Act I Black defense dice, so having early access to powerful Pierce and Damage options is pretty nice. Later in the adventure, a reliable Blast becomes *very* useful to blow up large numbers of enemies at once as they like to clump up at bottlenecks.

- As in all co-op adventures, having a Thief is extremely useful due to Sneaky and Lucky Charm. Every time the Thief opens the door for free, that is one additional action your heroes have access to. Bushwhack is a great skill in co-op too as there are many opportunities to use it. Just get the thief a good weapon ASAP, as throwing knives kinda suck..

- Take advantage of encounters with no time limit and no ban on healing! As an example, there is one encounter in this adventure in which you have to defeat the Master Dragon Hybrid Auxirumn, but all he does is bring you closer to him on every overlord turn. Clear the room of minions and stay spread out, and this becomes a potential opportunity to heal up, rest, and get everyone in position for the next room without having to draw peril cards. Breathers like this are very useful to get out of dire straights where everyone is beat up and exhausted.

- Don't get discouraged. This co-op in particular starts off very difficult but gets easier as it goes along. The final room is quite easy compared to the other co-ops after the minions are dealt with. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Charmy, I will implement your recommendations and get back with the results

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charmy we implemented most of your recommendations and fared much better, reaching adventure card 2 before a peril card sealed our fate.

We played for around 4 hours at 3 players. ( which was fine)
What playtime are others experiencing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zollom
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 hours seems about right with all the co-op expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. W.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finding Dark Elements to be brutally difficult as well. With 4 players, the first room will likely be the only room you see. My party are probably choosing who we want to play, rather than who we must play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Virus wrote:
I'm finding Dark Elements to be brutally difficult as well. With 4 players, the first room will likely be the only room you see. My party are probably choosing who we want to play, rather than who we must play.

The advice on here from Charmy is very good.
We too just used our favourite characters...and it was a slaughter.
As suggested, Pick the characters wisely , ones that benefit from being in close proximity to each other, sneaky trait to open doors for free is good.
Spend xp wisely to tool up powerful weapons and ( I think I'm right in saying this) kill all monsters to gain extra stuff and so they don't follow you into the next room.

This tactic got us from only reaching main encounter 1 up to reaching main encounter 2 in one session .

As suggested by Charmy, rest when you can to recover fatigue, have a healer in the party, search tokens for a potion to heal all wounds is awesome and a life saver.

I initially thought we will never win this bloody game, now I know it will be a challenge, but we will do it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lorphanpaibul
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is two players game possible to win? I usually play this solo and managing two char is a lot easier but I am willing to go 3 if it make the game at least winnable (or get close to the end). Also seems healer is a must have or your doom will go up fast because the heroes kept dying.

I really hope next version of Descent, they would address the healing so you don't always need to bring healer into every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this several times solo and in a group. Died horribly every time without reaching final room. Many times died within 3-4 rooms from start.

Very tough!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryuhi Hikari
Germany
Georgia
flag msg tools
I honestly think this one is badly done.

Specifically, it has very badly done scaling regarding the number of heroes.
Nature's Ire does a much better job at this, this one though...

You get Square One where you will need four actions to finish the encounter, regardless of the number of heroes, the only thing changing is the number of monsters who will not greatly change the difficulty.

Then there is Nightmare Gate.
You get three free movement points for two heroes, two each for three heroes and one each for four (6/6/4 in total).
...and the monster scaling is weird. You get a master and minion hybrid sentinel for two heroes, an extra minion for three and no change for four.
You can avoid a few more fire imps with less than four heroes, but if you do so, you set yourself up for more attacks.
You need 7 actions (six if you are extremely lucky) to take care of the chests, one to have the door opened.
With fewer heroes, that eats up more and more time, then you have to defeat the hybrid sentinels, and you will likely need two actions on average to take them out and that assumes good skills / equipment.
this is four or six actions.

So, basically, with few heroes, you will cut it extremely close and that assumes you are able to take lots of attacks from the fire imps and don't die / miss.

Don't the people who designed this one know basic math?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.