Subject: how to make a colorku board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rebecca Holloway
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hello,

I have not had much experience making things with wood and would like some info on how to go about making a board like this. Esp. how to make the indentations for the marbles to sit in.

http://www.toydirectory.com/MadCaveBird/index.htm

Thanks!
Rebecca

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't look too hard. You could use a cheap cutting board for the board and draw a grid on it. Take a hammer and nail and give the nail a couple hits where you want the hole to make a starter hole for the drill bit. You don't have to drive the nail into the board, just make a dent for the drill to start out in. The indentations can be made with a big drill bit, just drill down until the very tip of the bit is in the wood before the straight shaft goes in and stop. A drill press would make that much easier. A quick layer of wipe on varish and that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no woodworker, but here's what I'd do...find a gnome with that exact pattern on his face. When he's at least 30 feet away hold up a chocolate bar (gnomes LOVE chocolate bars). The gnome will instantly start running towards you at an unbelievable speed. Right at the last second hold up a nice piece of wood and whack the gnome squarely in the face. This should leave the desired imprint on the wood. Then you just need to trim around the imprint to whatever size you want the board to be.

Either that or you could just use Donald's suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cook
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy a special bit from Rockler.com that makes those indentations for marble games. It looks like it'll get the job done pretty well. And $20 isn't a bad price either.

Just search for "Marble Drill Bit" on www.Rockler.com.

They have other bits that you might be interested in too for making games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not absolutely need a speicalized drill bit, but I suppose it makes for a nicer finish. A drill press would be VERY helpful. To get those lines in the board you'd need a router, but if they are purely cosmetic, I'm thinking Sharpie. If all you have is an electric hand drill, just get a drill bit with a diameter a little smaller than the marbles you intend to use. Take a piece of paper and map out the locations of the centers for all the holes. Transfer those locations to your board with a hammer and nail (just a little tap), then use the drill to make your holes. You can use a piece of tape on the drill bit to mark how deep you want to go so you can stay consistent.

burunx wrote:
Hello,

I have not had much experience making things with wood and would like some info on how to go about making a board like this. Esp. how to make the indentations for the marbles to sit in.

http://www.toydirectory.com/MadCaveBird/index.htm

Thanks!
Rebecca

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.