4 Posts

PitchCar» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Pitchcar - First Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the process of expanding my game collection I noticed that one genre I've been totally lacking in has been Dexterity games. So, I started looking around for the most popular games and came across Pitchcar. I read the other reviews, checked out the pictures, and read several posts to help figure out if this was the game for me. I decided to take a chance and ordered it online.

When Pitchcar arrived I quickly started assembling it. There wasn't much in the box besides the track pieces and wooden discs. The rules are only half a page long, but then again, this is more like a toy and less than a game so I didn't expect a rulebook. The pieces themselves are top notch. The tracks are very sturdy and well made. I've heard complaints that the plastic rails often come out during play but they seem to fit in the tracks very snug. Maybe if I pulled the rails out after each time I played they might become loose, but I was able to fit everything back in the box without removing the rails, so I don't forsee any problems with them falling out.

The wooden discs are also very nice but I think I was hoping for perfection. It appeared from the pictures on BGG that the car emblems were engraved into the discs but my copy included stickers. One word of advice on applying the stickers: try the disks out a few times on the track first. Some of the discs slid smoother on one side than the other, and some discs had tiny imperfections that made them not totally flat. Very minor though. I also notice that this makes some of the discs spin when they stop sliding. Again, I doubt it will affect gameplay although I might hear someone say "I want the yellow one. It goes faster."

I would also advise that before playing you insert tiny shims under the edges the each track section to eliminate bumps at the seams. I noticed right away that even the smallest bump will totally effect how the discs slid. I won't go into detail about this since other have written lengthy posts on the subject and I'm thankful for their advice.

As far as gameplay, it's all out fun! You can just tell by looking at the pictures that this game will be fun and it is. I don't know what else to say beyond that. After a few games your fingernails will start hurting, but you won't care. All ages can enjoy this game and it seems that 4 or 5 players is probably the best, from my limited experience. The more cars on the track, the more the last place cars have to worry about bumping into. But Pitchcar is the kind of game you won't have trouble finding people to play. I can't wait to play it again. I'm very glad I purchased it. Next stop, the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've just got Pitchcar as well and also enjoying it..

We're using playing cards to slide under the leading edge of the track to make it ever so slightly higher than the next track. This makes for a smooth track..

As far as the rails coming off the track, we've found a diligent pre-race check to make sure the rails are down deep in the groove, will lead to none popping off during a race..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Stickers? My Pitch Car has engraved/embossed cars. I guess they may have changed it to make it cheaper to make, or maybe USA and UK are different?

I like the idea of using playing cards to even out the joins, but then again the joins are all part of the track, and add to the 'flavour'.

I usually use a rubber mallet on the rails before each session. That keeps them in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sorewinner wrote:
After a few games your fingernails will start hurting, but you won't care.

I saw some flicking technique posts in the Crokinole forums. It is something like flicking closer to the disk. That probably will help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.