GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Argent: The Consortium» Forums » General

Subject: Average game length time to play??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Langston
msg tools
Hi everyone, so this game looks amazing but my gaming group is usually put off by 2+ hour games. I know the game has a lengthy setup time (which they also don't love).

On average how long would you say this takes to play 4-5 players? We would also likely get the expansion since we typically have 6-9 people around for games (we split into two smaller groups pretty often).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The game is almost definitely going to take 2+ hours with 4+ people, so I'm skeptical that your playgroup will like it if they're put off by anything more than 2 hours.

In my experience, with first time players I'd put the game at ~50min. per player including setup time and teaching. I've had 4 player games last 3+hours and 5 player games last 4+hours. Granted, you can reduce this time depending on the speed of the people you play with. Also, to me it doesn't feel like the game is that long because I'm engaged the whole time, as compared to other long games, but again this is a matter of opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hoffman
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say on average, my experience has been about 30 minutes per player which would put four at 2 hours and five at 2.5 hours. That is after having played a couple times. First game(s) your looking at least 30+ minutes over that play time especially with rules explanation most likely.

I tend to have people in my group that drag the games out a little bit so your experience may vary, but it will probably push your groups maximum time barrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on how hard that 2 hour cutoff is. Even with experience, I think a five player game is going to go beyond that mark. A four player game is also likely to exceed it.

However, I'll echo the above. It's very engaging and you have to pay attention on everyone else's turn. So there are few lengthy periods of downtime.

I think about 30-40 minutes per player is about right.

Setup time is substantial, but good organization can minimize it. So can the randomizer app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Langston
msg tools
Thanks for the info everyone. We play a lot of games like Dead of Winter which seem complicated but really aren't. We're also not on a hard 2 hour per game cut off, it just seems like once we hit 2 hours people start to get restless.

Then again, if you are engaged in the game even during other peoples turns that would definitely help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, it is about 30 min. per new player, 20 min. per veteran player.

Of course, this is going to vary wildly based on how quickly your group plays. Some groups will be faster, some are slower.

Setup is actually not that bad either. About 5 minutes once you know what you're doing and other people help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like your first couple of games your group should play them as 3-player games or maybe 4 but ideally 3. Once people are more familiar with the game the pace will be swift even at high player counts.

And there's so much to think about when it's not your turn I've never really had anyone complain that the game dragged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first five player game took 4.5 hours, including explaining it. The biggest time block was when the spells were being replaced during research then the next player to research wanted to spend a long time looking at the new spell(s) that became available. Some general AP also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've generally seen a maximum(*) of ~45 min/player with new players or APish folks, and a minimum of ~30 min/player - but I have yet to play any games with a very experienced table, so it might well be possible to get it down to 20-25 minutes/player. These times don't include rules explanations; I think the first time it took me half an hour, but I've been getting faster with each subsequent explanation.

For a teaching game, you can also shorten game length by only playing 4 rounds; see this comment for a simple variant I've used. There'll be a little bit of "aw, I was just hitting my stride!", but better to leave folks wanting a bit more than to overstay your welcome.

I would not recommend teaching with 5. Downtime gets high, and when you don't know the game very well it's hard to plan / think about options (and stay engaged thereby).

(*) = There was one game which went longer than this, but it was late at night, involved all the expansion stuff, had one totally new player, and there was a huge amount of spell research during the first two rounds. Despite the length, it ended up being one of the most fun/engaging games of Argent I've played; there were some fantastic back-and-forths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Also: thinking about keeping playtime short makes me wish there were blank Consortium cards, so I could use a cumulative turn-timer and have a "Most decisive" (fewest minutes used) voter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darker wrote:
Also: thinking about keeping playtime short makes me wish there were blank Consortium cards, so I could use a cumulative turn-timer and have a "Most decisive" (fewest minutes used) voter. :)

This should be in every game :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.