4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Need help finding a GeekList (if it exists) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was searching for some games the other day and noticed that some game entries could (or perhaps should) be split into two or more separate game entries. For instance: Carabande/Pitchcar, Linie/Streetcar, O Zoo le Mio/ZooSim, etc. I'm sure the list could go on and on. I realize that in most circumstances the games are identical (except for the entire components and sometimes even the rules).

One strong argument for making these games separate entries would be in regards to trades and marketplace sales. It just seems easier to identify exactly which game is in question in such circumstances.

Anyway, what I was wondering is if there was a GeekList in existance that lists such games. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, as far as I know the admins explictly try to resolve multiple instances of the same game under different names and/or publishers as one entry. A while back there was an effort to do a pretty big "cleanup" in this respect.

Mostly it's more useful this way... reviews and articles and so forth are mostly relevant to all instances, with helpful folks who know occassional differences noting them, such as different production values etc.

There was debate as to possibly setting up some kind of heirarchy so that things specific to specific incarnations of games could be differentiated, but it never seems to have gone any further, that I've noticed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be a Parent of/Sibling of/Expansion of section to each game. It was very useful for this sort of thing where the games are enough different to warrant separate entries, but similar enough to connect them.

It was a great way to find expansions and other related items, especially if the original was published in a different language, but an English version now exists. As it is now, it's very difficult to find that sort of thing without some detective work. I like the updated Geek quite a bit but I feel the game pages took a step backwards when that feature was removed.
I really miss that feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other way around:

Shouldn't this be...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/12050

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.