GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,553 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Want a boardgame souvenir from the UK - recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be in the UK for a short trip in June. I have received a warm welcome (online) from the friendly LOBsters and will be attending s couple of the Londin on Board meetups.
I'd also like to buy a game to take home as a souvenir. I'll be in Liverpool, London, and Dundee, Scotland.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:
London (first edition)
Hammer of the Scots
Brass: Lancashire

I can get these cheaper in Canada (exchange rate) but then they wouldn't be a souvenir of my trip, would they?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Oliner
United States
Owings Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Haggis, Last Will,or Letters from Whitechapel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotland Yard
Snowdonia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aeoliner wrote:

Hmmm Haggis is a good idea and small too!
I considered lfwc but I will probably buy Specter Ops instead to play with my daughters. Don't want the murdered women theme really. But thanks for the good ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:

Snowdinia- I hadn't thought of that! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mijnlieff

Excellent abstract game from a British (I think) designer. Possibly hard to find elsewhere, but is small in size and easy to transport. Not certain what stores actually sell it, but the designer is on BGG, so geekmail him and ask him. (Or maybe one of the LOBers have a soare copy, or could arrange one).

Are you going to be around for the UK Games Expo (May 29-31)? If so, try to make a detour to Birmingham for it.

Finally, if you're going to be in Liverpool, drop me a line if you want to meet up with a fellow Geek. ;-)

P.S. Brass: Lancashire, as you yourself suggested, is definitely worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornish Smuggler
Waggle Dance

Are both by a UK publisher, you "may" be able to get them cheaper over here. The latter seems to be getting positive reviews, while the former even comes with a map of part of the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craw-daddy wrote:
Mijnlieff

Excellent abstract game from a British (I think) designer. Possibly hard to find elsewhere, but is small in size and easy to transport. Not certain what stores actually sell it, but the designer is on BGG, so geekmail him and ask him. (Or maybe one of the LOBers have a soare copy, or could arrange one).

Are you going to be around for the UK Games Expo (May 29-31)? If so, try to make a detour to Birmingham for it.

Finally, if you're going to be in Liverpool, drop me a line if you want to meet up with a fellow Geek. ;-)

P.S. Brass: Lancashire, as you yourself suggested, is definitely worth it

I haven't heard of that but I'll look into it - thanks! I'll be in Liverpool on the evening of June 2 and all day on June 3. I'll send you a GM closer to the time! If there is a gaming night anywhere on the third I'll try to pop in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlybath wrote:
Cornish Smuggler
Waggle Dance

Are both by a UK publisher, you "may" be able to get them cheaper over here. The latter seems to be getting positive reviews, while the former even comes with a map of part of the UK.

I like the sound of both - particularly if you combine the titles - "Cornish waggle dance smuggler"!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Portobello Market - excellent, underrated, quick abstract game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bondgoldfinger wrote:
Portobello Market - excellent, underrated, quick abstract game.

That one is new to me but looks interesting. Light Euros are favored by my wife when she is willing to play. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivor the Engine. Pssshhht-cuft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
Ivor the Engine. Pssshhht-cuft.

If you want something that is absolutely British, that's it. (Or so that is my understanding, being an American and all...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything from here:
http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/great-british-design-25-c.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:

Funny I was just looking there since this site sponsors London on Board. Thanks for the link... I am feeling a distinct Wallace hunger... I've played Mythotopia and Onward to Venus recently and really enjoyed both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how easy it is to get hold of Tinners' Trail and Canal Mania these days.

My brother actually picked up Brass for me while he was on holiday once in the UK - great game, but one we don't get to the table often enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aeoliner wrote:
I recommend Haggis...

Whilst it has a Scottish theme it's not at all easy to find in the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
aeoliner wrote:
I recommend Haggis...

....it's not at all easy to find in the UK.

I have to disagree with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanted to get a board game that you absolutely can only get in the UK you could go for this:

Sure, it's probably crap, and you'd have to go to Nottingham to get it and for some people, buying any Games Workshop product is as paletable as a plate of poo but other than that it looks like a winner.

Here's the link: http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/bugmans-bar/exclusi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - thanks for all the recommendations and for my new favorite saying:

"Palatable as a plate of poo"

That's going on heavy rotation. Not sure I'll go for the games workshop option, but I'll keep my eye out for the others!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a copy of Snowdonia, someone from the London On Board crew could pick it up from the UK Games Expo and have it in London for the following week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
Not sure how easy it is to get hold of Tinners' Trail and Canal Mania these days.

My brother actually picked up Brass for me while he was on holiday once in the UK - great game, but one we don't get to the table often enough.

Ha I think there's still a few thousand copies of Tinners Trail on the shelves, which is strange as we rather enjoy it (we dusted it off after watching Poldark)

However I'd take up Tony's suggestion of a copy of Snowdonia from UK Games Expo if a LoBster can grab it for you as it's going to be reasonably priced & Tony may even sign it for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:
If you want a copy of Snowdonia, someone from the London On Board crew could pick it up from the UK Games Expo and have it in London for the following week?

Wow - I would love that! I have always wanted to play/own Snowdonia... I think it would be asking too much of any of the LOB members to do that, though... But this game is at the top of my list though - I will seek it out.

Thanks!

Edit - my phone likes to correct the spelling of Snowdonia...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morti wrote:
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:

Ha I think there's still a few thousand copies of Tinners Trail on the shelves, which is strange as we rather enjoy it (we dusted it off after watching Poldark)

However I'd take up Tony's suggestion of a copy of Snowdonia from UK Games Expo if a LoBster can grab it for you as it's going to be reasonably priced & Tony may even sign it for you!

Thanks - I agree - Snowdonia seems like the top choice. I'll look for a copy even if I can't get one from the expo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:

Ah, silly me - I didn't realize that I was getting this good advice from the game designer! I spent part of the day reading reviews of Snowdonia and I'm convinced! In part, because I think my wife would like this, and also because my maternal grandparents emigrated to Canada from Wales (my dad was raised in Ediburgh so Hammer of the Scots was a strong contender, too).

Thanks everyone for the advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.