GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,698 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Railways of the World» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there to all!
My copy is on the way, but I'd like to know some things before my first play - you can call 'em "clarifications".
I'm really sorry if they've already been answered, but, alas, it's like searching for a needle in straw!
So, thank you in advance...
1) May I take a 5 (or even 10) value bond, or just values of 1? (Of course, I'll pay the according amount at the end of the round: 5,000 and 10,000 respectively).
2) According to the rules, I can use someone else's line to add it in my lines and make longer deliveries, unless it's the starting line of my trail. So, I suppose, there's no problem at all, if it is the last one, right? Here's an example:
Let's say that there are 4 cities: A, B, C and D. I own B, C and D and another player owns A. I can deliver from D to A, but I can't deliver from A to D... Is that so?
And some queries...
3) Why they cancelled the Advance Rules of England and Wales in the newest Great Britain? It wasn't something obligatory; you could take it or leave it! I think it was the perfect gateway for 18XX series.
4) OK, they added Edinburgh in GB map... Why not Glasgow? It should be only a tile away!
Thanks again, guys!
Greetings from Greece!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You can only take enough bonds to cover what are about to spend.
2) Correct
3) Don't know. But I don't consider Railways and 18XX similar, either.
4) Haha. You're right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, pal!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Bim-Merle
United States
Trail Creek
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1)You use the 1, 5, and 10 bonds just like the 1,000 5,000 or 10,000 paper money; whatever denomination is most convenient e.g. if I already have four "1" bonds and I need to issue another, I give the four "1s" back to the bank and take a single "5" bond out. (the phrasing of your question makes me wonder if you have some misunderstanding of bonds in the game... or maybe its just me reading too much into a simple question)

2) Yes and you would get one less victory point and your opponent would score one point.

3) I didn't know that they had cancelled it... that's too bad. I've only played that variant once but it was fairly good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Bim-Merle
United States
Trail Creek
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang it Scott... you beat me to the punch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You can only take bonds when you are spending money, and don't have enough cash on hand. The 5 & 10 value bonds are just to consolidate the number of things in front of players.

2. Technically, you don't own cities, you own links, but with that substitution, you are correct.

3. Dispute between Martin Wallace and Eagle-Gryphon Games over reprinting Age of Steam. Stripping the advanced rules from Railways of England and Wales allowed them to reprint the map as Railways of Great Britain. Those advanced rules were poorly supported, and few people actually played with them, or even liked them.

4. They tacked on a Scottish city so that they could change the name, and didn't really consider geographical positioning of Scottish cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much guys! Both of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tirerndil wrote:
1)You use the 1, 5, and 10 bonds just like the 1,000 5,000 or 10,000 paper money; whatever denomination is most convenient e.g. if I already have four "1" bonds and I need to issue another, I give the four "1s" back to the bank and take a single "5" bond out. (the phrasing of your question makes me wonder if you have some misunderstanding of bonds in the game... or maybe its just me reading too much into a simple question)

Here it is:
It's the start of the game - round one, turn one. I decide to connect Atlanta with Jacksonville - so, I'll need 7 tiles on plain ground... that's $14,000 and it'll take 2 turns: 4 + 3, on putting tiles. So, in fact, I'll need, totally, 3 bonds of 1. I was wondering if I could take a 5 value bond, from the beginning, (instead of 2+1).
I watched Rahdo's runthrough, so, I already know that bonds are "cumulative" - you can exchange them for better counting. (Besides, the Bank, as a cashier, needs change!)
But, now, thanks to your help, I can see it clear...
EDIT
Well, I know that at the end of the round, after the delivery, I'll have $0 income ($3 from my 1st point on the track minus the bond) - so, bad strategy to make long lines, so early... So, what if I would try to make a longer line, asking for more bonds? Could I have a negative income? Is that possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sun Of A Beach wrote:
Could I have a negative income? Is that possible?

Yes, and you must take enough bonds during the next income phase to get positive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
JavaJack wrote:
Sun Of A Beach wrote:
Could I have a negative income? Is that possible?

Yes, and you must take enough bonds during the next income phase to get positive

I've seen someone end a game with over 60 bonds because of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JavaJack wrote:

"As long as I live, I learn...". That's what we say in my country

Arcadious wrote:

Are you sure that there is no any baron card, giving you end bonus, for such achievement? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sun Of A Beach wrote:
Here it is:
It's the start of the game - round one, turn one. I decide to connect Atlanta with Jacksonville - so, I'll need 7 tiles on plain ground... that's $14,000 and it'll take 2 turns: 4 + 3, on putting tiles. So, in fact, I'll need, totally, 3 bonds of 1. I was wondering if I could take a 5 value bond, from the beginning, (instead of 2+1).

The answer is "no", because as was mentioned you're only allowed to take the minimum number of bonds needed to complete a given action. The longer answer is "why on Earth would you want to?", since taking out 5 bonds when 3 would do will just cost you VP and cash...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
Sun Of A Beach wrote:
Arcadious wrote:

Are you sure that there is no any baron card, giving you end bonus, for such achievement? laugh

In the Western U.S. expansion, there is such a baron card. Since you can't take out bonds unless you are immediately going to spend the money, it rewards you for spending ambitiously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, my!... Really?... Wow... surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Sun Of A Beach wrote:

Let's say that there are 4 cities: A, B, C and D. I own B, C and D and another player owns A. I can deliver from D to A, but I can't deliver from A to D... Is that so?

Just a comment. You don't "own" cities in the game. Believing you "own" cities only leads to hurt feelings when someone else builds into "your" city later in the game. Don't think of the cities, or worse, the cubes as "yours". Deliver them and remove all doubt as to who owns what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christophe joseph
msg tools
Just a question about Baron Cards.

How do you do it if there is a tie.
For example, if 2 players have the most money, do you score it or not ?

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. If there is a tie the baron is not scored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christophe joseph
msg tools
Thx a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.