GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,084 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Legacy: Gears of Time» Forums » General

Subject: Why is playing a fate card a free action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shush Ruth
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game recently. I'm blown away by the elegance of the game's design and the strong thematic integration. It's hard to see why this is not a top 500 game.

Anyways, for our first game, we played the regular version and the fate cards added a strong element of randomness to the game that we were not happy with. From the next game, we've decided to play one of the variants mentioned in the rule book- dealing out one fate card to each player at the beginning and removing the rest of the cards. So I was wondering why, in the standard game, the designer did not impose a cost of an action on playing a fate card, given that they are so powerful?

Also, we wished that the number of copies of each card present in the deck was indicated somewhere in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harkins
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Play games and be awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
shruthless wrote:
Just played my first game recently. I'm blown away by the elegance of the game's design and the strong thematic integration. It's hard to see why this is not a top 500 game.

Anyways, for our first game, we played the regular version and the fate cards added a strong element of randomness to the game that we were not happy with. From the next game, we've decided to play one of the variants mentioned in the rule book- dealing out one fate card to each player at the beginning and removing the rest of the cards. So I was wondering why, in the standard game, the designer did not impose a cost of an action on playing a fate card, given that they are so powerful?

Also, we wished that the number of copies of each card present in the deck was indicated somewhere in the rule book.

Wow, thanks for the compliments!

I have 2 reasons I made the Fate cards free actions:

1. It was more thematic (As-in, "it's fate" and supposed to happen)
2. The opportunity cost of the card itself seemed like enough of a cost or perhaps too little, and doubling up (the card + the action) seemed consistently like too much.

I get what you mean about the randomness of distribution. It's not for everyone, but makes it much easier to setup and understand for first time players. Personally, I really enjoy the marketplace variant, where you can take an action to select a fate card, but that pushes forward influence cubes for your opponents.

Thanks again for the kind words, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Legacy and that you found the Fate card variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shush Ruth
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Ben.
Floodgate wrote:
I have 2 reasons I made the Fate cards free actions:

1. It was more thematic (As-in, "it's fate" and supposed to happen)
2. The opportunity cost of the card itself seemed like enough of a cost or perhaps too little, and doubling up (the card + the action) seemed consistently like too much.
By "opportunity cost", do you mean the fact that it takes up the space of a tech card in hand?

Floodgate wrote:
Personally, I really enjoy the marketplace variant, where you can take an action to select a fate card, but that pushes forward influence cubes for your opponents.
We'll surely try this variant down the road once we get a good grasp of the power of each of the fate cards. I see us playing this game quite a few times. And then it'll be on to Forbidden machines!!!

Thanks again for designing such an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.