GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,248 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing with more than five? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,
A couple of questions:

1) Are there any expansions of Carcassonne that allow play with more than five players?

2) My friends and I were thinking about using two base Carc sets, painting some of the meeples other colors and trying to play with, say, seven people. This seems like it might make things tough with too many players fighting for not enough stuff. Anybody tried this? Thoughts on why this might or might not work?

Thanks for your input.

-Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals comes with the pieces for a 6th player. We play it with 6 all the time. 7 might be okay. Definitely use the river in that case, and hopefully have a bunch of extra tiles from expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think to many players kills this game. 3-4 is optimal IMO, so with 7 players I would rather play two separate games, one with 3 players, and one with 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't consider playing with 7, personally I think 4 can feel too many without an expansion. The more players you have the fewer tiles you get to lay and it gets to the point where you want to play a meeple on every tile earlier in the game.

2p -> 35 tiles
3p -> 23 tiles
4p -> 17 tiles
5p -> 14 tiles

7p with two sets -> 20 tiles.

As Stephen says Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals comes with components for an extra player. I'd be tempted to remove a meeple when playing with 6. Carcassonne: Expansion 3 – The Princess & The Dragon has a large number of tiles and you could ignore the extra rules (there is one tile I would remove if doing that, the one with the field + volcano), we have done this for extra tiles when playing 4p.

It is also possible to buy extra player sets. www.boardgameextras.co.uk/ sell them in the UK and http://www.meeplesource.com/ in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Box versions include extra meeples up to 8 in most cases I think. don't do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
The Big Box versions include extra meeples up to 8 in most cases I think. don't do it!

yeah, I just played an "every tile in the Big Box 5" game with 7 people and by half way through, 3 people had quit to go watch TV. Too much down time, even when using a "draw 3, play 1" variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for your responses, everyone. Sounds like the consensus is "doable, but not advisable." And yet I think I might try it because the group I play with often numbers seven and really likes Carcassonne. Maybe I'll try to get that big box #5 that comes with the extra meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.