Dawn: Rise of the Occulites» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Unique game with tons of fun to be had; mini review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael B
United States
South Jordan
flag msg tools
I decided to take the plunge on Dawn:Rise of the Occulites because I missed the KS campaign. Boy am I glad that I did, on many levels.

The components are gorgeous! I have the painted edition of this game, and for pre paints I am very impressed, as is everyone who I have showed this to. Eagle-Gryphon did a great job with all the components. Once everything is out on the board it looks great and everything fits the theme tremendously.

Above everything, this is what matters most. The gameplay has very unique card driven mechanics that determines the number of dice. I will be writing a longer review later, but I can say that what appears as a squad tactics skirmish game is MUCH more than that. There is definitely combat involved in the game, but it is by no means the main focus of most of the scenarios. There is a lot of strategy involved in movement, combat, hand management, scenario goals, and unique tribe abilities that change and grow as you play the game more. While you can play a one off game and have a great time doing so, the ability to add skills and adjust abilities that unique to the tribe is not new, but feels much more like an evolution than just a campaign and leveling. New players will have a great time with the basic game, and as they get the hang of the game they can start adding in advanced layers. That's right, the advanced rules are in layers, so you can grow with the game. Overall, the scenarios will all play differently and sometimes you even will even have the tribes working together to survive. Every game I have played has proven to be a good time and I can't wait to get it to the table again. Nearly all of the scenarios can be played with 2-4 players, which adds depth to the game and is not something you often see in this type of game. I have the 3 tribe expansions (which come with a tray that holds all 5 tribes (each member of the tribe in a different pose) and the little helpers (Luftles)), so the 4 player game is possible right out of the box.

I understand that this is an expensive game, even more so for the painted version, but you should still give this game a chance. Last weekend I played a game with a new player (who ended up winning the scenario in a 3 player game), and while he was trying his best to fulfil the objectives of the that scenario and win the game, he really wasn't about counting victory points. He was too wrapped up in having a great time playing. The ability of a new player to pick up the game, have a great time, and be asking about possible expansions and how he can get a copy of the game (all while not knowing he was actually in the lead) speaks volumes about this game and the smiles that are had everytime we play.

This is one of my favorite board miniatures game. I think it is fun for both audiences. If you get a chance to try this game, do it! If you are intersted buy this game and spread the word, this game is just plain FUN!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.