2 Posts

Sushi Go!» Forums » Reviews

Subject: WABA Review 1: Sushi Go! Full Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake Mathieson
Western Australia
flag msg tools
This is a post from my blog, A Turn In The Game Of..., if you would like to see other reviews and session reports like this, click or copy this link: Now let's begin the review.

Hello all, first of all, I AM NOT posing something every day, it just happened that WABA was today. What? You say you don't know what WABA is, well, let me give you a rundown.
Basically, it's an event every two or three weeks where a lot of the gamers of Perth come together to play games for multiple hours. It gives you the chance to meet many new people and play new games, which are two great things. Anyway, at WABA this evening I played ten games, of which seven were different. The games I played were:
Carcassone x2
Machi Koro with the harbour expansion
Smash Up
Forbidden Island
Luchador x2
Sushi Go! X2

Anyway, in this review I will discuss only one of the games in detail, and that is, Sushi Go! I may do follow up posts to do a review of some of the other games but for now let's focus on Sushi Go!

Length: 20mins.
Players: 2-5
Price: About $25 within the U.S., 50-60 euros within Europe and around seventy dollars in Australia due to ridiculous shipping. However, buying the game locally will decrease the prices of the game.
Game Style: Filler/Gateway game
Designer: Phil Walker-Harding
Published by: Gamewright
Main Mechanics: Drafting

Rules Summary:
In Sushi Go! there are three rounds of play. After those three rounds you will do final scoring and whoever has the most points wins. Simple, right, well let's go into detail as to what a round is.

At the start of a round, each player receives a certain number of cards in their hand, in a four player game, you receive eight cards. These eight cards could be chopsticks, puddings, tempura, wasabi, sashimi, maki rolls, nigiri or dumplings and each have different effects. At the start of each turn, a player will choose a card from their hand to play face-down in front of them and pass the rest of their hand to the left. Then, each player reveals the card they played. The mechanisms are similar to that of 7 Wonders. But with a twist, a player can put a chopsticks card into their hand to playe two card instead of one that round. At the end of a round, scoring happens.

Unused chopsticks are worthless. Puddings score at the end of round three only and are the only cards kept from round to round. At the end of the game, the player with the most puddings receives six points while the player with the least puddings loses six points. Tempura give you five points for every set of two you have, while sashimi gives you ten points for every set of three. Nigiri is worth its face value, but when combed with wasabi, it's worth three times as much. Maki rolls award players for having the most of them with six points and awards points for second place too. Finally, dumplings give you points depending on how many dumplings you get. After scoring a round, discard all of your cards except for puddings and begin a new round.

My thoughts:
This game is interesting, I like it quite a lot, it provides good player interaction and interesting decision making. You wouldn't think the game would be that interesting by me just telling you the rundown of the rules, you need to play the game to really understand what decision making goes on. By the way, those rules I just told you, that's all the game has to offer, that's it. It's easy to teach to new players and, I'm calling it now, this could replace settlers of Catan as THE gateway game. But that's just speculation, anyway, to the negative points.

This game can be quite mean, again, you wouldn't think so, but playing the game you get a sense of aggression and trying to stop other players from scoring. Especially in a four player game which I played, aggression is high. I once took a tempura even though I knew I couldn't score it, just so my opponent couldn't score the tempura. But, it's not as mean, as say, AGRICOLA, THE MOST AGGRESSIVE EURO EVER. But putting Agricola aside, Sushi Go! has some other issues. It is a very simple game, which could get boring for heavy gamers, and it is incredibly luck based, so euro gamers will not be happy. That said, all heavy euro gamers should go play something more suited to them like AGRICOLA, THE MOST AGGRESSIVE EURO EVER and leave the rest of us to play Sushi Go!

Sushi Go! is a fun little card game that you can play in 15-20 minutes, making it a great filler game for when you have a bit of time, but not a lot. Sushi Go! was definitely one of the top games I played at WABA tonight and I understand its success around the world. The game has flaws, don't get me wrong, but the game is good.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

msg tools
Fun little game. One of the best parts of the game is card design. Each type is obvious because it has a unique background color. Once you know the colors you no longer have to read the card. Once everyone gets to that point you can get a full 3 rounds done in 10 minutes.

I highly suggest getting the soy sauce promo. To me, it completes the game. It removes one of the annoying aspects of the game. Some cards become useless near the end of a round. Chopsticks are useless at the end of the round. If nearing the end of the round you know there is not 3 sashimis available for a complete set then they are waste cards. Soy sauce makes every card something you can score on at the end of the round. Soy sauce is you get 4 points if you have the most colors (main background color) for that round. This includes soy sauce itself and chopsticks as separate colors. So those failed sashimi sets and chopsticks become useful at the end of the round by being colors for soy sauce.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.