Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about how to teach this game lately. One thing I've been thinking about is scoring.

Instead of the "highest of your lowest" as the way to teach scoring what about making "sets" that include each of the four colors?

Whoever has the most "sets" of blocks (a set being 4 blocks one of each color) wins?

As far as I can tell, this results in the same winner as the "highest of the lowest" method, and is a lot easier to grasp since set collection is such a common mechanic. It also makes allocating your treasures/wilds more intuitive IMO.

Can anyone think of a reason this won't work as a simpler way to teach the scoring.

Between this, renaming the conflicts as revolts and wars, and renaming all the pieces things easier to remember, the folks I teach this game may not be able to read the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes saying you collect sets is easier for many people to understand.

There was a bit of a discussion about this a while back which resulted in the "teaching T&E" file which is posted on the T&E game page...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=17571

This file is a doc of hints on how to teach the game, rather than a rules summary or player aid.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Falls apart" is a bit strong. If there's a tie on sets of all four colours, then how far can you go choosing only three colours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.