Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the ongoing search for a satisfying lunch-hour game*, I took this title to work after a five-year absence.

To reclaim the time taken by the rules explanation, we set up the pieces randomly rather than using the usual method of placing individual pieces in turn order. We also used the newbie variant of drawing one's starting tiles randomly instead of choosing them face-up.

Everyone picked up the rules quickly, including the ones for "swappy-changey" tile and the zero-value replacement tile. The only thing that didn't sink in straight away was the rule about a maximum of one non-character tile per turn, plus any number of character tiles. Still, everyone got it by the end of the game.

The game was in fact over very quickly owing to four rice cakes having been "burned", which was very odd indeed. It certainly caught me unawares; I had only captured two figures before the game ended.

Final places:

Place Name Majority Others
===============================
1st Jun Rice (2) 2
2nd Simon Hats (3) 1
3rd Yakov Buddhas (2) 0
4th Me - 2

* The existing stable includes Ra, Carcassonne, Alhambra, Meuterer, and China. I should check out the many GeekLists on this topic, for other ideas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish there were people at my work receptive to this idea.

I have just tried to "break the ice" by introducing Texas Hold 'Em.

It's a slow start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Damien,

Two suggestions for you:
1. persistence; I pioneered the gaming group at my work, it was viewed oddly at first, now they play my games even when I'm not there.
2. come and work for us!

Having checked out several GeekLists on this topic, there are two more shortish board games on my lunchtime radar (neither of which I own):

Clans
Through the Desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
other lunch time games: verräter, hex hex, bohnanza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.