GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

WarQuest» Forums » General

Subject: I see battles being done off the board. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am definitely intrigued with this game! However, I have a feeling that there will be tons of figures on the map making battles a real pain in the arse. Having to order the units into ranks will make it impossible to do with the available space. I almost envision a 10" square felted legged mini-table that you can rest on the map where you actually put your figures on to resolve the battles. Just a thought.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mlinhardt73 wrote:
War of the Ring handles this issue fairly gracefully with army tokens. Would be super simple to homebrew up if a solution isn't included with the game.

I'm sure. It would be nice to have a map the size shown on the Undead Viking's preview video! That would allow battles to take place without any issues. Plus it would look absolutely epic!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
mlinhardt73 wrote:
War of the Ring handles this issue fairly gracefully with army tokens. Would be super simple to homebrew up if a solution isn't included with the game.

I'm sure. It would be nice to have a map the size shown on the Undead Viking's preview video! That would allow battles to take place without any issues. Plus it would look absolutely epic!

-Ski

The map is HUGE. Still may not be big enough? gulp

EDIT: Map is 31" x 46", so roughly 2'1/2 feet by 4 feet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
skifreak737 wrote:
Teamski wrote:
mlinhardt73 wrote:

-Ski

The map is HUGE. Still may not be big enough? gulp

EDIT: Map is 31" x 46", so roughly 2'1/2 feet by 4 feet.

If you look at the Vassel video showing the correct size board, the figures being 28mm or so look pretty big on it. So, if you have a battle as shown on the Undead Viking video of about 10 figures on a side (which I am sure in game terms is probably as large as they come) there is no way that can fit on one or two spaces on the board. I'm not knocking the game, but the board is going to get pretty crowded by the time the game is over. I kinda wished they stuck with 15mm instead.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:

If you look at the Vassel video showing the correct size board, the figures being 28mm or so look pretty big on it. So, if you have a battle as shown on the Undead Viking video of about 10 figures on a side (which I am sure in game terms is probably as large as they come) there is no way that can fit on one or two spaces on the board. I'm not knocking the game, but the board is going to get pretty crowded by the time the game is over. I kinda wished they stuck with 15mm instead.

-Ski

One thing to keep in mind is the men don't stay on the areas when you leave. They follow the Warlord/Leuitenant so there should be plenty of empty spaces around. Still might get crowded especially with 5 players. A battle board is said to be a planned stretch goal.

I don't know much about mini's as only a few board games I own even have any but I would think with the larger size you also get more detail? That sounds pretty nice to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

One thing to keep in mind is the men don't stay on the areas when you leave. They follow the Warlord/Leuitenant so there should be plenty of empty spaces around. Still might get crowded especially with 5 players. A battle board is said to be a planned stretch goal.

I don't know much about mini's as only a few board games I own even have any but I would think with the larger size you also get more detail? That sounds pretty nice to have.

I asked on KS if they could do the supersized board as an add-on. That would be a cool thing if they could wing it.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:

I asked on KS if they could do the supersized board as an add-on. That would be a cool thing if they could wing it.

-Ski

It sounds like if nothing else they will get us a hi-res image to have printed out locally. That would work also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

It sounds like if nothing else they will get us a hi-res image to have printed out locally. That would work also.

They responded that they will look into it with their manufacturer. I think the board would really sell well.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard D
Canada
Bonnyville
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glenn's 2001 game "Napoleon in Europe" had a map the size of the one for Warquest and included a separate board on which to conduct the battles.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/178138/napoleon-europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't pretty much all of Glen's games involve "off-map" combat resolution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the GOOD ones. ;-)

Railroad Tycoon or Age of Empires III didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the board won't be too crowded. The armies are constantly moving around, so there are always clear areas where a battle can be set up.

We are going to include a reference/ battle board as a stretch goal that will allow the player to keep his or her largest army off-board in case things get a bit crowded. This will also allow you to just pick the entire army up and place it right in front of your opponent for the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budley wrote:
Only the GOOD ones. ;-)

True, we did have to add combat rules to fix these oversights.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Budley wrote:
Only the GOOD ones. ;-)

True, we did have to add combat rules to fix these oversights.whistle

At least Age of Steam added
when zombies weren't all that popular! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are all the mini's bases the same size? I was thinking of 3D printing some trays to place armies on that would allow me to move the entire army at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm Sorry
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Teamski wrote:
mlinhardt73 wrote:

-Ski

Wait wait wait. The board in UV's video isn't the board that comes with this game??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.