GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,406 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Manitoba

Subject: Looking for gaming group/people rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
j mc
Canada
flag msg tools
I have a gaming group and we play almost every week at my house - but I am looking for some new opportunities to play with people. We are limited to my board games and most of the people I play with are satisfied with the lighter end of games - there are so many games I feel I'll never be able to try!

Either monthly games or even just individual players - what kind of things are around the city? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has never been a better time for gaming! If you're on facebook there are two monthly get-togethers available (that I know of).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/250170428328864/

This group has been meeting for years, always the 3rd saturday of the month

---

https://www.facebook.com/groups/741726799241844/

This group has only been going this year, and typically the last saturday of the month

These are both very welcoming events. You might even find some smaller groups to get hooked into.

---

There's also a board game cafe in the exchange district called ACROSS THE BOARD. Great selection of games and good food, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Jimcon, the board game convention that happens every November, and all the game stores have open gaming days. If you connect to Jimcon on Facebook, they post messages about game stores' events.

What kind of games where you wanting to play anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevan sumner
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Join us in June for Manitoba's longest-running game convention! www.prairiecon.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're up for a road trip, the PrairieCon convention is June 5-7 in Brandon. There is always a strong Winnipeg contingent there, so it would be a good opportunity to meet a broad variety of gamers from Winnipeg area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Fuller
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. Curious what kind of games you are interested to try out that maybe your circle isn't? I'd be down for trying to get a night together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j mc
Canada
flag msg tools
Eppic wrote:
There has never been a better time for gaming! If you're on facebook there are two monthly get-togethers available (that I know of).

This group has been meeting for years, always the 3rd saturday of the month

---

https://www.facebook.com/groups/741726799241844/

This group has only been going this year, and typically the last saturday of the month

These are both very welcoming events. You might even find some smaller groups to get hooked into.

---

There's also a board game cafe in the exchange district called ACROSS THE BOARD. Great selection of games and good food, too.

Been to the 2nd group a couple of times - it does seem like a good group. So far I have only managed to get in to play party games - and drag a poor guy through a first time Suburbia game vs. two experienced players.

Across the Board is really hard to find time for as I have 3 kids ~_~

I'll definitely try out the first group as well - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j mc
Canada
flag msg tools
nerman8r wrote:
There's also Jimcon, the board game convention that happens every November, and all the game stores have open gaming days. If you connect to Jimcon on Facebook, they post messages about game stores' events.

What kind of games where you wanting to play anyway?

May check out Jimcon for sure!

Heavier games - my group is great but they mostly shy away from heavier games, especially Euros. The only Euro I've attempted is Takenoko because it's barely a euro game and people just don't feel it. Maybe the theme doesn't help (where is the fighting?) - but any worker placement/resource management games seem to be a no go in the group, and I'm weary to purchase a deeper Euro to meet the same result - may pick up Five Tribes, however. But yea - I want to play something dry and heavy for once

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j mc
Canada
flag msg tools
frieque wrote:
If you're up for a road trip, the PrairieCon convention is June 5-7 in Brandon. There is always a strong Winnipeg contingent there, so it would be a good opportunity to meet a broad variety of gamers from Winnipeg area.

Hmmm maybe - I'll look into it - didn't know it existed, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j mc
Canada
flag msg tools
KkrakK wrote:
I'm in the same boat. Curious what kind of games you are interested to try out that maybe your circle isn't? I'd be down for trying to get a night together.

Something heavier, like a Euro. I have played.. one half-Euro game and I feel I'm dragging everyone through the dirt every time I bring it out, so I don't anymore. Play time is a big thing as alcohol/other things run fairly rampant in my group, and some people (like my wife) have an aversion to anything mathy or meeple heavy. I remember getting Catan thinking it was a safe bet and oh boy... did it flop hard every time I attempted it.

A get together eh - my thing is I have 3 kids so it's hard to get out. I could do something once in awhile like these monthly events, but not frequently. I usually have to resort on inviting people over, so we have (mostly) weekly gaming nights.

As far as getting a night together, not sure what you had in mind but I'm usually stuck at home, though it is possible to get out here and there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Enns
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you can find time on a Tuesday evening from 6-10 pm you could try playing a game with us. There is usually three if us and we usually play heavier euro's. We do play lighter fare at tomes but games rich with depth and a dash of complexity are our go to games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j mc
Canada
flag msg tools
syliconslycer wrote:
Well, if you can find time on a Tuesday evening from 6-10 pm you could try playing a game with us. There is usually three if us and we usually play heavier euro's. We do play lighter fare at tomes but games rich with depth and a dash of complexity are our go to games.

It is possible yea - May 12, 26 etc are days that could work. I tend to live a fairly reclusive and insular life these days but I'm sure I could work up enough bravery to try it out!

As a background I'm a male, 31 and have 3 kids, wife, house, job - those kinds of things but I am a big gamer too~ I've always wanted to get into board games and I have enough friends, but maybe not the right ones to game with (though some are pretty fun to play with, as long as you don't go much past 7 Wonders in complexity).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Fuller
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got two kids myself, so I am in the same situation. Between that and my job it's hard to get out that often. We should keep in touch though, even if it's a once a month thing, I'd be down.

I've been into the older SPI magazine games lately from ARES magazine, I've been digging The Mushroom Eaters as well. Not exactly sure what constitutes a "euro game" but I'm pretty open to whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Justason
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
I am also looking for a group to get together with one in a while. Rather nervous about throwing things out there like this, but here it goes I guess.

I have lived in Winnipeg for just under a year. I am a 31 year old male, I don't really have family here, just a job that can make it difficult to get out a meet new people.

I love games. Video games, card games, board games. I have played D&D for many years, I played (and causally still play) Magic: The Gathering. I like my games to have a good helping of player interaction, or at least keeping everyone involved somewhat.

I do enjoy games with more depth but the people I play with currently tend to shy away from those games a bit. So recently I have been enjoying Love Letter, King Of Tokyo, Tsuro, Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizard's Duel on Mt. Skullzfyre, and Zombie dice. The most complex games I have gotten them into have been Lords of Waterdeep and Betrayal at House on the Hill.

I don't really use facebook but if there is another way to find a group I would love to hear about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Fuller
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hell, forget facebook, we could just start our own group here. Maybe the next step is to get a better idea of what everyone is into...everyone loves lists. Maybe a top 5 favorite games list followed by a top 5 games I'd love to try out list....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If folks have logged the games they own, want and want-to-play, you could use the Gameshelf website to find games that people have in common.

http://www.gameshelf.se/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I (co)organize one of the monthly gaming groups at the top of the page with a facebook link. We usually meet the last saturday of the month. There are games for all types and levels of player. It's a very casual environment.

Also, snacks, drinks, and a raffle are provided, free of charge.

If anyone wants to receive the emails just message me and I'll put you on the mailing list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Fuller
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while, but further to my last post about lists, here's mine.

1. THE MUSHROOM EATERS
2. KING OF TOKYO
3. MARVEL LEGENDARY / LEGENDARY VILLIANS
4. HUMANS
5. ARES MAGAZINE GAMES (like NIGHTMARE HOUSE for example)

Here's a list of games I'd love to try out.

1. I do own a copy of Federation Commander : Klingon Border, but have only played a few solo games. I'd love to play this with a group
2. WINTER WAR. There are a small number of Wargames that I would love to try out. I'm not a HUGE fame of the idea of playing a game that recreates a real world war scenario, but there are a few that are on my radar.
3. THE MANHATTAN PROJECT. A lighter game, but it looks like a fun one.
4. GODZILLA : KAIJU WORLD WARS. Big fan of giant monsters, and even though I haven't heard the best reviews of this one, I'd still love to give it a try and destroy a city!

And here's a quick link to a bunch of games I have on my wishlist to give you an idea of things I am keeping an eye out. Lots of hex and counter style games on there, but that doesn't mean I'm not into trying other styles of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Page
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I am 26yrs old and just moved from Calgary with my wife (who is 23yrs old) and we just gave up some good board game friends and looking to gain some new ones.

We are looking for a board game group or individuals who like to play board games.

Games we like to play, to give you a spectrum:
Coloretto
Ticket to Ride
Escape
Tobago
Resistance / Avalon
Dominion
Stone Age
Castles of Burgundy
Puerto Rico
Terra Mystica
etc... (we really are up for anything under 3 hours)

Anyways, if anyone thinks they would like to game with two low key people who don't mind losing and don't mind winning PM me or let me know when your gaming group meets.

We also like ice hockey, movies, tennis, camping, etc.
Looking forward to connecting with some cool new people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Rod
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
johnp98 wrote:
Hey, I am 26yrs old and just moved from Calgary with my wife (who is 23yrs old) and we just gave up some good board game friends and looking to gain some new ones.

We are looking for a board game group or individuals who like to play board games.

Games we like to play, to give you a spectrum:
Coloretto
Ticket to Ride
Escape
Tobago
Resistance / Avalon
Dominion
Stone Age
Castles of Burgundy
Puerto Rico
Terra Mystica
etc... (we really are up for anything under 3 hours)

Anyways, if anyone thinks they would like to game with two low key people who don't mind losing and don't mind winning PM me or let me know when your gaming group meets.

We also like ice hockey, movies, tennis, camping, etc.
Looking forward to connecting with some cool new people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnp98 wrote:
...just moved from Calgary...

Sorry to hear that. Why would you come to Winnipeg? (Note, I'm talking about the place, not the people, the people in both places are awesome).

Check out the facebook page - the next game day is Jul 18.

As well, what part of the city are you in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TnT! wrote:
johnp98 wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Why would you come to Winnipeg?

Better music scene
Better theatre scene
Better hockey scene at all levels
More, better education
(until recently--time will tell) more progressive politics
Better mix of ethnicities (and therefore restaurants)
Better quality of life at a much lower cost

I've lived in both places, and know some wonderful people from/in both. I'd move back to Calgary for only three reasons:

- winter amateur sports
- winter weather
- better modern dance scene

That's it.

OP: hope you hook up with some like-minded gamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
TnT! wrote:
johnp98 wrote:

Better music scene
Better theatre scene
More, better education
Better quality of life at a much lower cost...

Lakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Page
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SD40 wrote:
tommynomad wrote:
TnT! wrote:
johnp98 wrote:

Better music scene
Better theatre scene
More, better education

Lakes.

Moved for a job at the HSC - but really enjoying the hospitable people.
And yes I got myself a Jets jersey (although the Oilers are my #1 team).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnp98 wrote:
SD40 wrote:
tommynomad wrote:
TnT! wrote:
johnp98 wrote:

Better music scene
Better theatre scene
More, better education

Lakes.

Moved for a job at the HSC - but really enjoying the hospitable people.
And yes I got myself a Jets jersey (although the Oilers are my #1 team).

If only the the two organizations could arrange...a relationship of sorts. Like say, Byfuglien for Hall, straight up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kornelson
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but if any of you are looking for gaming on a monthly basis and don't mind the drive to Steinbach, check out our group at http://bgsemc.com.

We're having a big game day on October 24th.
Details in this post: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1448751/board-game-day-oct-2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.