GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Starfarers of Catan» Forums » General

Subject: Any chances of a new edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephane Nolet
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the new 5th edition of Catan is available, do any of you think they will revisit Starfarers as well? I'm interested in this one but I'm not sure I want to pay the ridiculously high price people are asking on eBay for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
Noloatmo wrote:
Now that the new 5th edition of Catan is available, do any of you think they will revisit Starfarers as well? I'm interested in this one but I'm not sure I want to pay the ridiculously high price people are asking on eBay for it.

From your mouth to God's ears, my friend. A new edition of Starfarers would be great. I wouldn't count on it, though. For some reason, this game never took off (no pun intended).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to find this on eBay just after it sold out at the distribution level. It is by far the favorite Catan game at my house. However it sees fewer trips to the table due to its length. Still happy to have it and would love to see a reprint of this fabulous game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game would make a great reprint, even if they had to paste on some popular theme to do it. The game is always satisfying when we get it out, including new people. So, the cost is high but it is not a let down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this would almost have to be a Kickstarter. As good of a game as this is (and it is a great game), the funky "gimmicks" (the spaceships) are a very expensive bit to produce, and they were/are very fragile. I don't know that it would be financially viable for Mayfair to try to do it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
I think this would almost have to be a Kickstarter. As good of a game as this is (and it is a great game), the funky "gimmicks" (the spaceships) are a very expensive bit to produce, and they were/are very fragile. I don't know that it would be financially viable for Mayfair to try to do it again.

I think you're probably right, but another option would be to offer a more expensive option with the shipsnand a less expensive option without. They're not really necessary for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true. Ships can be represented on the player boards with upgrades added as chits. A simple ship die could easily be rolled for movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dredry Toenail wrote:
Very true. Ships can be represented on the player boards with upgrades added as chits. A simple ship die could easily be rolled for movement.

Not necessary, because you can replace them with dice? You are all wrong - all of you! yeah, but those ships are the coolest bits and it is amazing so much production went into a game, I don't suspect you'll see anything like this again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrackAttack wrote:
This game would make a great reprint, even if they had to paste on some popular theme to do it. The game is always satisfying when we get it out, including new people. So, the cost is high but it is not a let down.

I was disappointed that Star Trek: Catan didn't take advantage of this version instead of the original version. It would have made a heck of a lot more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrackAttack wrote:
Dredry Toenail wrote:

Not necessary, because you can replace them with dice? You are all wrong - all of you! yeah, but those ships are the coolest bits and it is amazing so much production went into a game, I don't suspect you'll see anything like this again.

Hey, I would never buy Starfarers without the ships, but there are some crazy people out there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
The ships were wonderful thematically and artistically, but terrible as an actual mechanism, i.3. "shaking your ship" to generate a movement factor. Simply awful. A single die replaces them quite easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
The ships were wonderful thematically and artistically, but terrible as an actual mechanism, i.3. "shaking your ship" to generate a movement factor. Simply awful. A single die replaces them quite easily.

What's actually different between that and a die roll? They take about the same amount of time and both require shaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things that I recall: the colored balls tend to resist falling neatly into the transparent "exhaust" chamber (static electricity?) which has a tendency to lead to players smacking the ships down smartly on the table, which can lead to breakage of the legs (and lord knows those ships are fragile enough already). It's also easier to just look at pips on a die than to add up the values of the revealed colored balls which you may or may not have memorized.

Truthfully, it is probably just six of one, half a dozen of another, but I feel that anything that dissuades the players from banging those ships around is a good thing. They make great-looking "Christmas trees" for the various upgrade pieces, but they just don't function well as random-number generators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Nolet
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for all your replies. Being a bit unlucky concerning old versions vs new edtions/reprints, I know that if I buy that game, whether on eBay or elsewhere, a new version will be announced a few days/hours later. It happened to me a few times in the past and it's quite frustrating. You look at the news, powerless, and just shake your head in disbelief: "Awww man!"

So, if some of you are praying for a newer version, try convincing me to buy the older one. Your wish might get fulfilled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Shields are offline.
mbmbmbmbmb
People who think a die roll is as good as shaking your own enhanced mother ship are probably the same people who trade with pirates. No fame rings for them.

This game hits the sweet spot for us and new players on so many levels: There's a Cataconomy, exploration, strange alien encounter cards, good versus evil (pirates), and it's sooooo satisfying to upgrade your ship.

Our ships get a little more brittle every year but I'm not going to put this on the shelf. If you get a set, you have to accept that it's going to get a little bit broken. That's a tough reality if you've paid eBay prices.

One of these days someone will do a Kickstarter for 3D printed replacement bits.

(FWIW, I tried to repair the broken mast on a ship once. You can read about the tragedy here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/933534/repairing-mothership-...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Birdwise
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled upon this game at a local thrift store and paid $2.99. All the pieces except one broken ring were present and in excellent condition. I hope to find more games in great condition in the future at such a low price!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmix wrote:
I stumbled upon this game at a local thrift store and paid $2.99. All the pieces except one broken ring were present and in excellent condition. I hope to find more games in great condition in the future at such a low price!

You are like the luckiest person ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.