GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,946 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Panda Themed Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M
England
flag msg tools
This is probably a fairly odd request, but my girlfriend has a thing about pandas and I want to buy another game that involves them on a thematic or character level. We currently own Takenoko and the Pandakai King of Tokyo expansion and I'm looking into Pandante. Does anyone know of any games that might make a good/fun gift that somehow involves pandas? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandante - I should add there's 1 deluxe edition in the BGG marketplace for $60 which comes with some nice bits - that normally is around $90 (and no I'm not the seller of it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

BGG Panda Search
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:
Pandante - I should add there's 1 deluxe edition in the BGG marketplace for $60 which comes with some nice bits - that normally is around $90 (and no I'm not the seller of it)

FWIW, this game fell completely flat with my group. It was just really, really long and fiddly for something that was trying to emulate poker.

Back on topic, Takenoko's probably a good bet. I'm not a fan, personally, but it's a good game and it's got a cute panda who you need to strategically feed bamboo.

There's also the forthcoming Adorable Pandaring. Haven't played it, and Asmadi's games tend to be pretty hit-or-miss, but they're usually good for non-gamers if nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Overton
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This was really hard to get right.
badge
That Panda is Huge! No, it's Gigantic!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Takenoko. I'm part of Asmor's group and I can speak for the fact that Pandante fell really flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZtbpN8cULE&feature=youtu.be...

It's pretty awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto is about a zoo, which has pandas among other animals. The game has a high cute factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always Pass the Pandas but it's really a simple dice game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP ALREADY OWNS Takenoko

[Hopefully that helps]

Richard,

You might want to include Takenoko in hyperlink so that way more people will see in your first post that you already own it and they'll stop recommending it haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M
England
flag msg tools
Many thanks for the replies - particularly to approach Pandante with caution. And apologies for not highlighting Takenoko in the original post, first one on the site!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCON: War of Indines has one character with a panda familiar, and the panda itself is a playable character with the BattleCON: Devastation of Indines Extended Edition expansion pack. (Not only that, but the cards have custom art, featuring the panda, Juto, dressing up as other characters to use their special attacks.) That's a pretty low density of panda content across the whole game, but if it seems like a game the two of you might enjoy in its own right, the ability to play Panda vs. Penguin is definitely worth the $15 for Extended Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I have Pandante 1st and 2nd Editions. 2nd Edition streamlines the game tremendously, and adds some really cool options.

I was not a huge of 1st edition, but 2nd Edition is my favorite version of poker. In the world. That Tom Vassal review is for the 1st edition.

I wholeheartedly recommend Pandante now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.