GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,638 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Duel of Ages II» Forums » Rules

Subject: Map Building questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Q: When placing a random platter, do you pick and then place your 3 items or pick it at the moment you'd need it? Stated another way, which is the correct sequence:

Option 1: Choose random, then place either your personal platter or the random one as you like, place key, place other platter
Option 2: place platter, place key, choose/place random

There's a definite advantage in Option 1, being able to see both platters before having to pick which to lay down first.

I've actually always played it with Option 1, but when looking at the rules to answer the 2nd question below, it occurred to me that might be wrong.

Q: When placing your 3 items, does each placement have to be individually legal or just legal at the end of the 3?

I'm pretty sure it's individually legal given the wording in the rules, but I figured I'd ask. There are definitely times where I'd love to place an adventure, but I want it to face into the platter I'm going to place (the adventure being the joining key), not into an existing platter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played:
White picks their platter and places it along with two keys.
Black picks their platter and places it along with two keys.
White gets a random platter and places it along with two keys.
Both teams alternate with placing sets of three keys until the map is built.

This works for three platters. If there's more platters then alternate with one random platter and two keys until the platters are accounted for.

Obviously this is also based on standard non-split maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kraack
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that white could place 2 platters and only a single key in their first placement, we've always had white pick their platter, then black, then random, then start building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sabash wrote:
we've always had white pick their platter, then black, then random, then start building.

It hadn't occurred to me to pick the randoms up front, but I really like that interpretation. And it meshes fine with the DOA 2 wording, which is just "One platter is chosen by Team White, one platter by Team Black, and the rest are random"

In Duel of Ages 1, it fairly explicitly stated that you pull the random platter at the moment you place it. Which is why I assumed that in DOA 2. Maybe that's changed though? Brett, you out there?

Quote:
Team Black begins. They select and
place any three map pieces. They can
choose any three of the following:
1) any of the triangular map keys,
2) a random platter from the face-
down platter stack, and/or
3) their team’s chosen platter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can place any pieces you like, as long as 1) it fits together when you're done, and 2) you include your chosen platter in your first placement set. If you decide to place a random, you draw the random. You can't draw the random and then not place it or place it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
SpitfireIXA wrote:
You can place any pieces you like, as long as 1) it fits together when you're done, and 2) you include your chosen platter in your first placement set. If you decide to place a random, you draw the random. You can't draw the random and then not place it or place it later.

Cool, thanks Brett!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But one don't have to say where one will place the random before drawn?

(Rules doesn't say so, so hence that's likely a no, but I'm asking anyway just to make sure / make it clear.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
But one don't have to say where one will place the random before drawn?

No, you draw and then place it where ever you like.

The best part of Brett's answer for me was the "it fits together when you're done". You don't have to lay down 1, then 2, then 3 with each being valid one at a time. You place all 3 and the map just has to be valid at the end of your placement turn.

That's an important bit because it means you can lay down a platter then add the adventure key to join them with the adventure open to the newly placed platter. If you had to do things in sequence, first you'd have to place the key and thus it'd have to be facing an existing platter.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.