Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Teemer
United States
Prosper
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read over the instructions a few times now. I was trying to talk my wife into playing with just her and I, but decided not to as I had the impression it works well with more players.

Your session confirms that I think. I see it playing well with 4-6...best with 6. But I haven't had a chance to break it out yet, so I am speculating.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Sparks
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken and I convinced Drew and Courtney to give this new game a tryout. After explanation and questions we set up and rolled on. Drew started in South America and Africa, Ken in North Maerica and Australia, Courtney in Asia and Africa and I placed in Antarctica and Europe. Courtney had good numbers to start (4, 6, 9) as did Drew (8, 9, 10). Ken's were okay (4, 5, 10) and I made some poor choices (blank, blank, 3). Heavy conflict began when Drew entered Mexico and found a 6. Ken went rigth after it and for most of the game Mexico went back and forth. On the third turn Drew became the evil empire, and became the huge target. Ken purged Drew's hand of Nuclear Weapons. Next turn Drew scored as Courtney played two Oil Gushers (double and triple) of which Drew was the primary beneficary. Drew used that money to literally fill the board with terrorist Columns and a few Cells, then decimated Ken's North America positions with massive terrorist attacks. Courtney simply bought off the ones in Asia and placed some in Africa and South America. I stayed out of it, accumulating cards primarly because I had little else to do due to bad luck with the numbers. The end came when Ken bribed Courtney to help clean all the terrorists out of North America. After seeing the Cells in Mexico and Canada wiped out through infighting, Drew used a card to pull the terrorists off his territories into his camp. He then played an Oil Gusher which game him the money to litter his territories with enough cities to claim the win.

Defenitely a better play with four than it was with three. The fighting between Drew, Courtney and Ken was hard and bitter, especially over Mexico and incidents in Saudi Arabia and Russia. The next plan is to hopefully get five and see how more players adds to the tensions caused by all that proximity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Sparks
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have a better impression when we try it with five. I'll try to write up a real review after that play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends - we've had some classic 3 player games. We've had good 2 player games too, although it's an entirely different beast. You're right though to identify that more players = more tension.

What I would say is that you might need to be familiar with how the game works before playing a 2 or 3 player game. The strategies involved with a 3 player game are very different from that of a 6 player game. Because with fewer players it's much easier to stake out some territory and quietly build up your empire to a city-based victory, you need to be much more, let's say, "interventionist" when playing with just 3. Or what will happen is that someone will win very quickly.

Personally, I've found having a presence in as many continents as possible - without weakening my position - is a good way to keep others in check without necessarily being aggressive.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.