GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Railways of the World or Defenders of the Realm? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. Kidder
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a sucker for a deal (or even a perceived deal). Eagle-Gryphon is running their Summer Sale and Bundle 1 looks really tempting.

(http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Mar...)

For those that don't feel like following the link, they make you pick one game in each group.

The Base Game choice is Railways of the World or Defenders of the Realm. I've never played either of these games, but the reviews I've read/watched make both games look amazing. Also, they are both ranked pretty well here. While I love fantasy/sci-fi themed games, my family likes things with a more realistic theme. Normally, games that play well with 2 or 3 are best. Both games have a lot of expansions if I end up really liking either one. Which should I go with?

If it makes any difference, for Category A, I'd probably choose Railways of Great Britain if I went with RotW and Pizza Theory (for the kids) if I went with DotR. For Categories B,C,D and E, I was thinking Incan Gold, Venture, Modern Art: The Card Game and Fzzzt! respectively.

For the bundle price and free shipping, I'd basically be getting the base game and category A for approximately the same price as CSI and then categories B-E for 'free'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways is awesome. Buy it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GunsTooMuch wrote:
The Base Game choice is Railways of the World or Defenders of the Realm. I've never played either of these games, but the reviews I've read/watched make both games look amazing. Also, they are both ranked pretty well here. While I love fantasy/sci-fi themed games, my family likes things with a more realistic theme. Normally, games that play well with 2 or 3 are best. Both games have a lot of expansions if I end up really liking either one. Which should I go with?

It's very much an apples and oranges choice; those two games have nothing in common. It comes down to what you are interested in. You may have answered your own question when you said "While I love fantasy/sci-fi themed games, my family likes things with a more realistic theme".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kidder
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I was looking more from a longevity and a "how often will this hit the table" standpoint. Railways of the World with the Great Britain expansion is pulling into the lead. I'm getting the feeling it will have more versatility with the people I normally play with, with the possible exception of the amount of table space required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.