GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,482 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Guardians of the Galaxy as a theme is super hot coming off the Marvel movie. This expansion uses the characters showcased in the movies and not the original comics. This is likely the crowd favorite and the most popular grouping of the Guardians.

This is an interesting expansion as the storyline of the infinity gems is a very tight story and it is showcased brillantly in this expansion. Thanos is a famous bad guy and is a great Master Mind. The addition of the artifacts (permanent abilities) and the use of the shards is fantastic. The Guardians are very powerful and fun to play with.

Likely, if the Guardians are used with certain Master Minds they will walk all over them. This is to be expected as power creep is setting in a tad. The original Master Minds were likely too easy but they can be easily changed to fix that. Even so, I think this expansion is really fun and adds a lot to the series. A great addition that I recommend to everyone.

If not for the movie, I'm not sure these characters would be well known. With the success of the movie, this is an expansion that would be easy to play with non-gamers. In order to play the game, you need to have at least one person that knows how to run the game.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are just cards and some cardboard chits (shards). The cards match the base game perfectly. We get lot of neat art work for all of the characters. The dividers included are still terrible.

Rule Book:

The rules are printed on a single page of paper (front and back). The rules can really be read as they come up in the game. It really is just a resource to look up powers that may come up during a game. It is an easy read, but you won't memorize everything until you use the cards a few times.

Flow of the Game:

1. New factions:

A. Guardians of the Galaxy

2. New Powers:

A. Infinity Gauntlet - There are 18 shards included in the game that will release powers via the cards.

a. Shards are always +1 for a scratch for a hero or a villain
b. Artifacts - these give heroes a permanent advantage/this card sits in front of you after going through your discard pile and being played

3. New Mastermind:

A. Thanos:

B. Kree:

4. New Characters:

A. Drax the Destroyer
B. Gamora
C. Groot
D. Rocket Raccoon
E. Star-Lord

5. New villain groups:

A. Infinity Gems
B. Kree Starforce

Should I buy this game?:

Yes, this might be the best expansion of the bunch (other than Dark City). I would recommend this as an instant buy for anyone buying the base game. I like what it adds and the heroes are really cool and will bring people to the game that enjoyed the movie.

Dark City is the big box expansion, but Guardians is a fine addition for the smaller boxed expansions and I think it should be an instant buy.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 575 Legendary: Guardians of the Galaxy: A movie smashed records and a game might do the same
william4192 wrote:

Yes, this might be the best expansion of the bunch (other than Dark City).

As someone who has every product with the name Legendary on it, I AGREE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kurt de vos
Belgium
bredene
belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
could you use this expansions as heroes for the legendary encounters and predator games ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gomoriki wrote:
could you use this expansions as heroes for the legendary encounters and predator games ?

I don't see why not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.