Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lithuania
Vilnius/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think we'll like Puerto Rico if our gaming group

* often consists of 3 and sometimes 4 persons
* doesn't mind long rules, but don't like when the rules are somewhat not intuitive and you have to look at the book quite often while in play
* likes Settlers of Catan
* can hardly stand long downtime
* prefers theme
* doesn't like very confrontational games, but enjoys modest confrontation
* strongly wants a game that would be deep, would give player many various choises and strategies and would be highly replayable

feel free to recommend any other game if you think you know something suitable for us,
and thanks in advance for advices!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is just silly.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just lost wrote:
Do you think we'll like Puerto Rico ... ?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Heaton
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Come back Bale...
badge
In 'Arry we trust!
mbmbmbmb
I'd say your 90% there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll like it. It sounds like a great next-step for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I just lost wrote:
Do you think we'll like Puerto Rico if our gaming group

Ok, let's do this point by point.

Quote:
* often consists of 3 and sometimes 4 persons

Sounds good for PR.

Quote:
* doesn't mind long rules, but don't like when the rules are somewhat not intuitive and you have to look at the book quite often while in play

PR isn't bad for this so I'd say this is good for ya.

Quote:
* likes Settlers of Catan

Kind of a wash. My group loves SoC but isn't a big PR fan. They're not really the same type of game at all IMO.

Quote:
* can hardly stand long downtime

Well, PR doesn't have much downtime if my memory serves me, so your good here.

Quote:
* prefers theme

Theme isn't eaxctly PR's strong point. It's about as strongly themed as, well, Setllers really. It's there, but not really strong, just like most Euros.

Quote:
* doesn't like very confrontational games, but enjoys modest confrontation

Sounds about right. PR is not big on confrontation. There's a bit of ability to screw with other peoples plans, but it's alot more of an efficiency machine game.

Quote:
* strongly wants a game that would be deep, would give player many various choises and strategies and would be highly replayable

Sounds right.

Quote:

feel free to recommend any other game if you think you know something suitable for us,
and thanks in advance for advices!

You'd probably do ok. I'd take a good look at the rules and such, and then see if it's something you'd like to play first. Some extensive research akways help me narrow games down from "maybes" to "yes" or "no".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's a safe bet tht if u are on this site, like boardgames that the bulk of the top 10 games will be something like(at least at some point). PR is really a must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
One caveat. Settlers has a strong positional nature: you can look at the board and get a sense of relative position and strengths of the players. PR is very anti-positional. There's a lot of little tiles and pieces spread out among the players and there's no way to get a grand picture at a glance. PR is really a maximizing game and you have to keep the various elements mostly in your head. To me, it feels too much like running a mental spreadsheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! It sounds like a great fit.

Players: it's best with 3 or 4 players. I go back and forth between the two as far as which is ideal.

Downtime: it's true that every now and then a player will need quite a long time to figure out their role choice or building choice. But, the lack of any hidden information means that everyone has plenty of planning they can be doing during this time. Also, as soon as the player picks their role, everyone usually has a little something to do, so it's never like you're sitting there for ten minutes waiting for the turn to come back around to you.

Theme: Theme is pretty strong, I think.

Confrontation: sounds like a good fit. There's modest confrontation, the best example I can think of being the Captain phase. It's kind of a guilty pleasure to see the look of horror cross your friend's face when he realizes you've just blocked him out of shipping his biggest goods and he's going to have to spoil them all, mwa ha ha! But again, the lack of hidden information means your friend had a chance to anticipate this, so it's not like your slamming down a card from your hand and saying "ha, you're screwed!!!"

Deep, lots of choices, highly replayable? Man, you hit the nail on the head.

The fact that your group likes Catan doesn't really tell me much either for or against their chances of liking PR. They're a lot different.

The main caveat is what you said about unintuitive rules where you have to keep consulting the rule book. This will definitely be the case the first time you play. It even takes a few plays to fully internalize the very contrived-seeming Captain phase rules (of which there are many)! This may annoy people in your group just as it did me. But it's funny how the unintuitive magically becomes intuitive once you get familiar with it.

I think it's gonna be a big hit. And if for some reason it isn't, and no one wants it, it's not one that will be a difficult trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi First! (May I call you First, or should I stick with the more formal Mr. Last Name? ) Welcome to the BoardgameGeek!

I think it's worth a try for your group. I'd say it hits pretty well on all the criteria except the theme is not really strong. It's a 'heavier' game than Settlers, but the rules are fairly straightforward. After the first couple games, you won't need to refer back to the book I should think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Apart that it has no real similarities with SoC and theme isn't its strongest point, it satisfies quite well all your criteria.

Recommended. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I just lost wrote:
Do you think we'll like Puerto Rico if our gaming group...

In Puerto Rico your best move is defined by the balance between making sure that the player to your left can't make a good move, and making a move that helps you. Very very rarely, effectively only when another player to your right has screwed up, will you simply make a move because it is good for you. All the rest of the time you'll need to be concentrating on stymieing other player's plans and trying to figure ways that you can still move ahead while making sure they can't. If this sort of circle-of-dominoes-all-leaning-on-each-other interests you and your group, then Puerto Rico will likely be an excellent choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
if you don't like PR and you like all the thing you said then you lied about what you like. Go out tomorrow and buy it. Oh it doesn't have a strong theme, but you could rename the crops, you know in stead of corn it could be an illicit drug...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
if you don't like PR and you like all the thing you said then you lied about what you like.

With the exception of confrontation (I like confrontational games and games with significant screwage) my likes largely match the OP's. I also strongly dislike Puerto Rico...but then I strongly dislike right/left binding.

There are more potential critical criteria than those listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lithuania
Vilnius/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot everyone for advices!

I'm sure it's best just to check it out if PR is for us!
one more quick question is the game language independent ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to have the game in a language you all can understand. It's not the worst case in language dependence (as all the information is out there), but while you're learning the game, the downtime will be bad if you have to look for translations. So, getting a version you can understand is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree with the consensus that this game sounds perfect for your group. I also agree that just about any of the top 10 would work well for a group that doesn't mind heavier rule sets. Check each game's reveiws for details about downtime and player interaction.

As for language, there are quite a few important pieces in PR that have printing on them that everyone must know and be able to understand (the violet buildings). Each building has a special ability and people need to be able to see what they are, what they do and which ones they own at all times. There may be player aids for these, but I would rather have actual game components in the majority language of the gaming group (cross referenceing a few dozen things for each game would get a bit hectic).

The rest of the components (the role tiles, the summary on the player mats) could be taken care of with a chart of translated values.

Since the pieces are just simple tiles, you could even translate them and make a set of your own. There may already be a translated set here in a language you can use. Laminated card stock works well (the thicker the laminate, the meatier the tiles will be).

Best of luck to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang. I was really really hoping this was going to be a joke thread.

Oh well, carry on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.