Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is best in life? "A fleet horse, the open steppe, the wind in your hair, and falcons at your wrist!"

NO!!!!! It's Conan, the Collectible Card Game!!!!

Conan, the Collectible Card Game allows you to fulfill the great Cimmerian's motto: To crush your enemy, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

With card names like "Grievous Slash", "Eye Gouge" and "Drive Cartiledge into Brain", you battle one another to be the first to ascend to the Throne of Aquilonia, or to kill your opponent outright.

Great art, clever mechanics and a Home-Run license like Conan combine to make a real winner here.

--- PLAY

Conan the CCG allows players to take turns using their "Conan" card to fight off the foes that the other player presents. Both Conan and the Foes use special moves and action cards to attempt to beat the other player.

A down and dirty example: I play Conan and use X, Y and Z moves/actions. You place the Foes down and use A, B and C moves/actions. Once that turn's done, I play my Foes and you put your Conan out and we place our moves/actions.

The first player to either kill the other Conan or achieve 30 Renown (by killing enough foes) wins.

--- DECK BUILDING

It's in building your deck that the true genius of this game shines through (as with any good CCG). It takes finesse and a good tactical mind to build a deck that gets the most out of your Foes and Moves/Actions, let alone which Conan you decide to play with.

The upcoming expansion will certainly add a whole new layer of tactics to this already awesome game.

--- ART

To me, this is one of the game's greatest assets. It's beautiful art. Not beautiful like a waterfall beautiful; but beautiful like a greatsword cleaving through the bad guy's breastbone beautiful.

If blood and violence turn you off, steer clear. But if that was the case, you'd steer clear of Conan anyway.

The art truly captures the feel and mood of the great Cimmerian, and evokes the right frame of mind for the game.

It's not ALL great, there's a few that aren't quite up to snuff compared to the rest, but I can count them on one hand, and they're still not horrible, by any means.

--- THE BAD

The game's not perfect. It's got a few, minor scabs:

- It's not super-easy to learn. It'll take you 2 or 3 games before you really "get it".

- It's got a big footprint. Don't try and play it on an overturned paint bucket, you're gonna need a little room.

- The rulebook is very small. There's an updated, much more clear rulebook online, however, which helped immensely.

--- FINAL THOUGHTS

This game rocks! If you like card games, or Conan, or just fun games: Get it!

I've played dozens of games and haven't seen any "broken" combos or unbeatable decks. Deckbuild, Player Skill, and Card Draw all combine wonderfuly to make a well-balanced, challenging, and most of all, FUN game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.