GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,810 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Napoleon Against Russia» Forums » Rules

Subject: General Retreat Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Franceschetti
Italy
Fratta Polesine, (RO)
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello,

I have some questions about General Retreat Order.

1. When General Retreat Card is played some friendly units are in EZOC.
May I disengage them to retreat through the Supply Sorce or are they excluded from the General Retreat Order.

2. Units going after a General Retreat must move toward the closest Supply Sorce. What happen when the closest Supply Sorce is friendly controlled but in EZOC? May I move units to a different Supply Sorce hex?

Guess some flexibility into the path of retreat during General Retreat should be opportune. Units should move toward a friendly Supply Zone, possibly the closer one, but anyway they should move way from enemy combat untis. IT make no sence to general retreat units toward a friendly controlled Supply Sources that in on the way to be overruned and occupied by the enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure on 1) as in these games units engaged cannot easily disengage. They would be exposed to fire and charge by enemy units.

On 2), though I do not know the official answer, I guess that the GR means moving the army towards some positions out of the map, following a road that goes to a supply source. The fact that enemy units are close to a hex in that road would not mean that they are in the real position of the supply source, outside the map, so the friendly army could still flee from the battle and regroup in their retreat objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Franceschetti
Italy
Fratta Polesine, (RO)
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
marticabre wrote:
I'm not sure on 1) as in these games units engaged cannot easily disengage. They would be exposed to fire and charge by enemy units.

On 2), though I do not know the official answer, I guess that the GR means moving the army towards some positions out of the map, following a road that goes to a supply source. The fact that enemy units are close to a hex in that road would not mean that they are in the real position of the supply source, outside the map, so the friendly army could still flee from the battle and regroup in their retreat objective.

I may agree with you over point 1.

As regard point 2, rule 20.52 states that the exit hexside is the objective hex of the GR March Order, that to say the closer Supply Hex.
So, if the enemy is adjacent to the supply hex GR units must end the GR movement entering an EZOC; at that point the GR March Order ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I agree with the moving into EZOC.

What I wanted to discuss what your idea that in a general retreat units should not move towards a supply source that has enemies nearby. If the supply source drawn on the map is really only a road hex that leads somewhere to a real supply depot, and enemy units are closing to the road, your friendly army maybe will have to run to get to the depot before the enemy does. In that sense, it would be logical to try to reach that hex before the enemy does.

On the other hand, if the enemy has blocked the road maybe it's better to look for alternative supply as surely the enemy has sent units down the road to burn your supply depot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hobley
United Kingdom
Andover
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the ComSim forums and this question seems never to have come up. However the General Retreat card says -

"On the turn this card is played (only), all Friendly Forces may freely disengage from EZOCs automatically at the start of the coming friendly movement phase".

Given the question has not been asked before I suspect everyone has been playing it that whether using the cards or not if you declare/play 'General Retreat' you get to disengage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Franceschetti
Italy
Fratta Polesine, (RO)
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Andrew H wrote:
I checked the ComSim forums and this question seems never to have come up. However the General Retreat card says -

"On the turn this card is played (only), all Friendly Forces may freely disengage from EZOCs automatically at the start of the coming friendly movement phase".

Given the question has not been asked before I suspect everyone has been playing it that whether using the cards or not if you declare/play 'General Retreat' you get to disengage.

You are right with reference to Napoleon Against Russia Card.
Indeed I was playing The Coming Storm (Jena scenario). I was supposing General Retreat Card was the same in all the games of this series. I assume changes occured with Napoleon Against Russia takes over older volumes in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hobley
United Kingdom
Andover
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With LNB I would say if in doubt use the latest rules and/or wording on a card. There is quite a process of refinement and clarification that goes on and I guess that is what happened between TCS and NAR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Franceschetti
Italy
Fratta Polesine, (RO)
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Indeed I'm using last version of the living rules.
As regard cards we must remember that decks are specific of different volumes, with unique cards in different decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.