Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. Silberman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
We've come across a situation with the merchant expansion that isn't covered by the rules. What happens when you are able to purchase two or more buildings during your turn due to paying exactly? Are you allowed to place merchants in each building (assuming the colors are correct), or do you only get to place a merchant on one tile per turn regardless of how many buildings are placed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same problem last night with our first play. Initially my wife simply placed her first building on the trader tile and added a trader of the correct colour to it. Next she took a trader from the general stock that matched the colour of the second building she was about to place. Placing it again on the trader tile and adding a trader. NEXT, she redesigned her Alhambra by putting a further building tile on the trader tile and...in other words she put down three traders in one turn.

Shortly afterwards I had the same opportunity when my wife asked, out of curiousity apparently (it would be my turn of course) whether we were interpreting the rules correctly. After some discussion we agreed to this interpretation:

In a turn traders can be added to your Alhambra from your trader tile only. With trader replenishment coming at the end of the turn. Thus you can only place a maximum of three traders per turn and are consequently compelled to use the colours on the tile and not dip into the general stock as before. It was our first go so this may change with more plays...but it did seem to work well last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget the above. We played it again last night with the above rule from the start and it just did not feel right. The traders were a handicap with only about four apiece being placed all game. We will from now on, when placing more than one building tile in a turn, replenish the trader disc prior to placing the second tile in order to match the trader colour to the tile, and again if placing a third or fourth tile. No limit on how many traders can be placed in a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael standingwolf
Canada
vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
has there been an official ruling on this in the three years since the question was asked? it came up for me too yesterday. the way i ended up interpreting the rules was that since it says you only move the trader tile "after all building work is complete," i assumed that meant that you can only add a maximum of one citizen to your alhambra per turn. in other words, you have to place all buildings you bought that turn before moving & refreshing the trader tile. and lest this sound limiting, one player still managed to get 11 or 12 citizens in his alhambra.

what this does however is force you, when you buy multiple buildings on a single turn, to decide whether to play them all immediately or put them on your reserve tile in the hopes of adding them as a redesign once you've moved your trader tile into the right place. this is very risky but could potentially be quite lucrative, and it would be much more feasible if you happen to be playing with the master builder cards (extension #4). and if you happen to have the master builder character (extension #2), you could do it as a matter of routine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official Ruling from Queen!

Quote:
It looks like the German rules are a bit more clear about this, there it's stated that the trader tile will only be placed again at the very end of the turn. Therefore even if you purchase and place more than one building in a single turn you can only use the trader once per turn.

Best regards,
Alexander Schmitt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.