GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,066 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Northeast

Subject: VlaadaCon 2015: July 25, Holliston, MA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thom Goodsell
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You’re invited to the second ever VlaadaCon, July 25th, 2015, in Holliston, MA. Vlaada Chvátil, best known for hit games Galaxy Trucker, Mage Knight, and Through the Ages, has designed a surprisingly wide range of games spanning many genres and play styles. VlaadaCon is our effort to get together with other fans to celebrate the depth and breadth of this talented game designer. We will have both planned events and open gaming, as well as door prizes to raffle off for attendees.

There’s a wrap-up of last year’s event on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/16739686#16739686

Registration is $8 in advance or $10 at the door. For more information, see the VlaadaCon website at http://www.vlaadacon.org. Reduced registration and/or additional raffle tickets may available to those willing to run an event or lend a Vlaada game to the library. Contact the organizers for more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is such an awesome idea! I would gladly play any of these games repeatedly all day long. Just a little too far for dropping in from NYC.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Goodsell
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we do have at least one person coming up from NYC, but I understand what you're saying. The plan is to keep running these on the Saturday before Gencon for as long as people keep coming, so maybe another year will work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hall
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I heard about last year's too late and really want to go this year but can't guarantee it personally. Either way, I hope it's successful!

I also love the idea of playing a single designer's games all day, and I thought I would borrow the idea for a "WallaceCon" perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Goodsell
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_sylvan wrote:
I heard about last year's too late and really want to go this year but can't guarantee it personally. Either way, I hope it's successful!

Thanks, Ian. I hope you're able to make it, but obviously there are sometimes things that get in the way of gaming.

the_sylvan wrote:
I also love the idea of playing a single designer's games all day, and I thought I would borrow the idea for a "WallaceCon" perhaps.

We're very supportive of anyone who wants to steal the idea (and we're happy to offer whatever advice we have, if you want it). A couple others that we've joked about are SimmonsCon and FeldCon. (The space we use actually hosts a game group including our friend Walter Hunt, but he probably needs more than one published game before we do HuntCon.) Part of the attraction of VlaadaCon was the large breadth of Vlaada's games—from Bunny Bunny Moose Moose and Pictomania to Mage Knight and Through the Ages—so there's something for almost everyone. But it's certainly possible to apply the same treatment to any other designer, as long as you can get enough interested players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Goodsell
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a reminder (and bump of the post) that VlaadaCon is in 11 days and advance registration ends this Saturday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Goodsell
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Final reminder, VlaadaCon 2015 is tomorrow, Saturday, July 25th. If you're not familiar with Vlaada by name, here are a few of his games that we expect to be playing:

- Codenames: that's right—CGE was gracious enough to send us an advance copy of Vlaada's new word/party game! Follow the clues from your team captain to identify your secret agents in the field without stumbling across the assassin. Barring a disaster with the UPS delivery truck, you'll be able to play this new release even before your friend who pre-ordered a copy for Gen Con delivery. (This may be the only time we ever beat out Gen Con for anything.)

- Through the Ages: one of the classic civilization builders. Take your people from the beginning of antiquity through the modern age in the span of a few hours. The 4th ranked game on BGG.

- Bunny Bunny, Moose Moose: as the hunter walks through the forest in real-time, you have to decide if you're a bunny...or a moose...or a bunny that looks like a moose...or just a funny-looking bush. Think fast, as the hunter may shoot at any time.

- Mage Knight: Build your army, fill your deck with powerful spells and actions, explore caves and dungeons, and eventually conquer powerful cities. Part deck-builder, part table-top RPG, part board game, this expansion and conquest game can be played cooperatively or competitively, in various formats. The 8th ranked game on BGG.

- Galaxy Trucker: Vlaada's classic real-time spaceship building game, designed especially for those people who like watching bad things happen to good people. (See also, Space Alert.)

- Dungeon Lords: worker-placement dungeon building. Build rooms, buy monsters, and install traps to prepare for the nasty adventurers who are planning to smash and loot your dungeon.

- Task-Kalar (Tournament): once again, we'll be hosting an afternoon tournament of Vlaada's head-to-head, abstract spell casting game.

Other games in the VlaadaCon library include Dungeon Petz, Grænaland, Pictomania, Prophecy, Space Alert, and Travel Blog. Con staff will be available to teach all games.

Registration is $10 at the door: http://www.vlaadacon.org.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.