GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,916 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Fast & Furious: Full Throttle» Forums » General

Subject: Why so quiet on this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got wind of this game, almost by accident. Seems there's not much promotion going on, and the lack of comments, updates, videos, reviews, etc... on the Kickstarter page has me leary to back.

Why is this so quiet? With the latest movie out in theatres, now would be the time to blast promote this game everywhere, but I see nothing. I understand the KS goal was set so low as the game is already ready to go and will be released no matter what, but with only $6k raised and a week to go, it seems to me something is missing. I'd think this game could easily be 3-4x as much raised by this point.

What gives?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
The guess I'd hazard is GS's poor rep at this point, and that is a race sim, rather than a game about car wizards or large sweaty bald men punching each other. Coincidentally, GF9 seems to be releasing a game about large sweaty (bald) men punching each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goodnuff
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
It is a Game Salute kickstarter short and simple. I am quite interested in this game but there is no way in heck I would back a GS KS...I will watch for it in stores and see how things play out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I think it has to do with the movie tie in. That stuff may work for the Hoi Polloi but not for geeks with the exception of Firefly and BSG fans. Had it been more generic, I think it would have gotten a better buy-in.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on the direct tie-in point. I'd prefer it to have been a generic game without all the movie stills, and character straight from the movie. I feel it's more distracting than useful. It would have made more sense had it been promoted direct with the movie, as it is though...generic would have been as well, if not better. It looks like, from the FB page, that it started out generic (10sec cars).

As for Game Salute...I've heard this before...but I don't know the reasoning. What's bad about GameSalute KS's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to anyone's opinions of Game Salute. I have found the team of players I am working with to be professional and very skilled.

Carla & I designed the game in a completely generic vacuum, never guessing that we would have gotten the rights to F&F. That said, to say it would be better without the license is very misguided. It looks great and the game plays solidly. The rules are posted on the BGG Page, Fast & Furious: Full Throttle.

The only time you use the characters are for an optional rule, which I assume many people will do. But the game is designed as a customize your own ride and try to outsmart the opposition in the garage then test it out on the road. If you never open the character deck the game still shines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
buffburgo wrote:
I agree on the direct tie-in point. I'd prefer it to have been a generic game without all the movie stills, and character straight from the movie. I feel it's more distracting than useful. It would have made more sense had it been promoted direct with the movie, as it is though...generic would have been as well, if not better. It looks like, from the FB page, that it started out generic (10sec cars).

As for Game Salute...I've heard this before...but I don't know the reasoning. What's bad about GameSalute KS's?

Er, speaking from personal experience: They're incredibly bad at projecting dates if they're not just acting at a distributor (the Keyflower KSes are probably the only ones they ever delivered anywhere near on time.) The seem to bundle shipments of games together so delays on one can adverse affect more unrelated games. Things that are "print-ready" in their original project outlines were definitely not print-ready as it takes months or years to actually see them print.

Also: See this geeklist.

That's about them on KS. They've been one of the more responsive companies for missing part requests, at least in my own experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buffburgo wrote:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/171113/game-salute-caution...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:

Carla & I designed the game in a completely generic vacuum, never guessing that we would have gotten the rights to F&F. That said, to say it would be better without the license is very misguided. It looks great and the game plays solidly. The rules are posted on the BGG Page, Fast & Furious: Full Throttle.

The issue has to do with the bad stigma that movie tie-in games have. We all know just how good of a designer you are (not trying to suck up here either), however, movie tie-ins are always a tough sell. If you look at Spartacus, it took a LONG time through the word of mouth for that game to be recognized for actually being a good game. Just check out the stunned reviews of it on BGG to see just how maligned the game was when it came out. Licensed games always seem to try to allure fans of the subject matter to make a quick buck. Again, we see exceptions of course, but for movies that aren't obvious geek magnets, game spin-offs scream the game isle at Walmart.

The challenge is to convince people that the game is good despite the movie tie-in. I know a lot of us race fans are NOT Fast and Furious affectionatos.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I think I'm going to have to pass on this KS. I like the idea of the game, although I'd like generic over movie still images on the cards. But I am just leary over the small turnout for the KS. Hardly any comments, 1 update, and not much in way of really showcasing the game. And if I'm going to have to wait a year to get it, I'll wait till retail, even if I have ot pay a bit more.

I wish the designers all the best of luck in the game and hope it's successful, but I just can't do it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've lurked on this topic and have done my version of homework. First I went and read the rules. Then I watched a few video reviews on how it's played. And in full disclosure, I'm a fan of racing games but not a fan in any way of the Fast and Furious movie series. Anyone who's trying to portray action adventure that's based in the reality of the modern world and stages a fifteen minute scene of an airplane rolling down a runway without ever going off the end is just a dumbass moron with no concept of reality or the laws of physics. But with that rant out of the way, on with my thoughts on the game.

PROS:
1. Designed by Jeff and Carla Horgar. A big plus! They're the designers of Thunder Alley which IMHO is an outstanding racing game. Jeff also designed Manoeuvre which I love.
2. It's a card/hand management game. I think it's a plus since you're not dealing with dice and have more control over your hand decisions.
3. For 2-4 players. For the theme it's portraying, down time will be minimal even with 4 players but from watching the video tutorial it seems to play nice with just 2 as well.
4. Variety. The tracks are very nice and allow you to design your own course. Also, the ability to configure your car to your design specs is a nice ability.
5. You can play with or without the personalities.
6. The KS price point is very reasonable for what's included.

CONS:
1. Theme - Fast and Furious. Not a turn-on for me though it must have an incredible following since it always seems to do well in the theaters. Not sure if that's the same crowd that would buy the boardgame for the same reason.
2. It's a card/hand management game. There's always the argument of the luck of the draw, but probably no more than the roll of the dice. But it's not by any means a racing simulation. That may put off some folks. I don't think it's a big "con".
3. For 2-4 players. If you're going to race, then bring in the whole field. If you're going to race, have lots of cars involved. It seems like this game could support more than 4 players but maybe it was the sweet spot for downtime or a price point for deck/component size. But, it's a street race, so I can live with a backdrop of just a few cars racing through city streets.

I guess I could argue a few points either way but I think this will have a place in my collection. Recently I played Start Frei with four players (it only supports 4) which falls squarely in the family racing game realm, and enjoyed it. I see this game as also falling into that category but with more customization ability. As such, I'll be getting on board here before the KS closes. And if there wasn't one final incentive, it's this guarantee from Gamesalute:

Quote:
We're so confident that you'll enjoy Fast & Furious: Full Throttle that we're backing it up with our Game Salute Guarantee. If you don't enjoy Full Throttle when you receive it and play it, just send it back to our headquarters and we'll issue you a full refund, no questions asked.

Of course, YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't necessarily mind tie-ins. I've watched all of the films and I like the property that is being used in this instance (I'm even down to watch 2 Fast 2 Furious at a moment's notice, but that is due more to the amount of screentime Eva Mendes has rather than to it being a good or even just okay movie). But I am really just not interested in the license being used for this game. I would have preferred a much more generic street racing game. Or if it needed to be licensed, maybe getting with EA to license out the Need For Speed game license.

I am still interested in the game though. After reviews come out and people have their hands on it, I'll look closer at it. I expect at some point that people will upload some custom rethemed cards to one of the print sites and when I see something like that, I'll buy the game and get some quality cards to go with it.

EDIT: It is decently priced and does look to be a good game. I was surprised for a bit that it is ending with such a low amount. I imagine it is a combination of things that saw it not bringing in a ton of money though:
-GameSalute
-Theme and License
-There isn't a million add-ons and extra minis that jack the price up into the $300-range

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it did fund today and one last pro/con I can think of is "no stretch goals". Some folks like em, some don't. I'm right on the fence over it. If it's KS'd at a low price as in this case (30% off MSRP from what I can calculate) then I don't mind not having stretch goals. If it's something that won't be mass marketed or have a higher funding cost, or a really big project with lots of expansions, then I like to see some exclusives included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is a rare case where the low price on Kickstarter is one of the leading reasons to get the game. I don't think you will find the price any lower after the campaign if the game is decent, which it should be considering the designer.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sirron Young
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know if they ship to a PO box? I know some kickstarter games do and some don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.