GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Normandy '44» Forums » Rules

Subject: Maximum Odds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Kiertscher
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
Weltenbeherrscher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
looking forward to my first game on the weekend. While reading rules and looking on a single player game of my own, I have a hard time understanding 10.6 (I am not a native English speaker).
Can anyone explain what they mean with
"Attacker and defender column shifts are applied BEFORE the minimum and maximum restriction. Example: 10-1 odds with two shifts left would use the 7-1 column"
I don't understand the Example. There is no 10-1 column, I would understand it the way, that 10-1 is max column meaning using column 7-1, now the shifts are applied so final column is 5-1???
Thanks for clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The other way around, I think. If you determine the odds are 10-1, two shifts left would make it 8-1. This is still more than maximum, so the odds are set to 7-1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kiertscher
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
Weltenbeherrscher
mbmbmbmbmb
but again, there is now 10-1 ratio, the maximum is +7-1.
Or do i have to consider that there is also an 8-1, 9-1, 10-1, 11-1 etc. ratio but no column for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

There is always N:1 ratios.

The CRT only has certain ratios, so you can only use the ones on the CRT.

E.g. a 5.43:1 ratio may exist when you do the math...but the CRT does not have a 5.43:1 ratio, so you use the 5:1. The same logic applies to odds > 7:1. You may end up with a 10:1 ratio when doing the math, but since there is no 10:1 ratio you must use the 7:1 column.

The rule section you discuss is attempting to say that you do all shifting FIRST...then determine which CRT column to use. So 10:1 with 2 shifts down would be 8:1...but still >7:1, so you use the 7:1 column. If you picked the column first (10:1 is greater than 7:1, so use the 7:1.../then/ apply the 2 shifts, down to 5:1), those 2 shifts would actually be a /5 odds/ ratio swing... (10:1 down to 5:1).

Moral of the story is...do all the math, THEN determine which column to use.

-K
Co-developer N'44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kiertscher
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
Weltenbeherrscher
mbmbmbmbmb
OK great, I think I was confused by reading to shift where there is no really something to shift...
Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.