Dreamblade» Forums » General

Subject: Help me justify getting this game! :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Lago
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamblade looks like a cool game, and I definitely like the aspect that it seems to be as much a board game as a CMG. However, as with many people around here I *hate* the collectible aspect of the game. I guess I should clarify that: I actually like collecting (which is part of the problem since I'm not made of money I guess!), but when the M:tG model of 'we will come out with expansions every X months and add completely new game-play aspects that invalidate old cards and necessitate buying new ones to effectively play the game' comes into affect I get a bit pissed off.

I don't mind the fact that there are many cool figures out there and I may not get them all *as long as I don't need to get them all in order to be able to play*. So, assuming I buy a starter pack and 2-3 boosters am I going to be able to play this game with some good replayability?

I had been led to believe through some of the reviews that the basic abilities of the minis are within a pretty limited range and that the depth comes from the tactical choices on the gameboard...all to the good so far. Now I hear rumblings that the new Baxar's War set minis have "new abilities"...ok, I smell M:tG power creep here. Is this true? Does the base set mix well with Baxar's War? How much is the new set changing things and opening up the possibility of huge FAQs and legalistics rulings on gameplay?

I really want to get this game, but don't want to let myself get sucked into another endless pit of 'keeping up with the Jones' just to play a fun game.

Thx,

DuLac

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, stuck in the same quandry I was in:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/129124

In the end, I decided Just Say No. For several reasons. I felt I had to take a personal stand against the collectible games (starters and boosters) concept. Also, it's too expensive (compared to the price of your average game) to get even enough base figures for a good game, and even then, the nature of the game will probably mean that it won't sustain interest over many games without the need to later on buy yet more figures. I'm not interested in tournaments and playing for money and all that guff, I should point out.

Your opinion may differ, but in this case I felt I had to put my personal foot down and concentrate on games that do me the basic courtesy as a customer of showing me what I'm buying!

Now, here comes the usual discussion again ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only thing I can justify it with is that, well, its a good game!

People arguing against collectability either can't play casual games or they can't control their spending. This game is just FINE with limited miniatures, and keeping the budget low. If you aren't looking to play competitive, then you can keep the cost low, and its a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought one starter and one booster to get the urge out of my system. I like the concept but the fixed board pattern doesn't do it for me. I'll keep the minis for other uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gordon seahorn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
UniversalHead wrote:
Ahh, stuck in the same quandry I was in:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/129124

In the end, I decided Just Say No. For several reasons. I felt I had to take a personal stand against the collectible games (starters and boosters) concept. Also, it's too expensive (compared to the price of your average game) to get even enough base figures for a good game, and even then, the nature of the game will probably mean that it won't sustain interest over many games without the need to later on buy yet more figures. I'm not interested in tournaments and playing for money and all that guff, I should point out.

Your opinion may differ, but in this case I felt I had to put my personal foot down and concentrate on games that do me the basic courtesy as a customer of showing me what I'm buying!

I'm firmly ensconced in the same camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lago
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. Any word on the Baxar's War issue? Are the new figures and their powers really introducing power creep into the game? Are they playable with the original set?

Looks like it might be smartest to stay out of this for now at least.

DuLac

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dulac3 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Any word on the Baxar's War issue? Are the new figures and their powers really introducing power creep into the game? Are they playable with the original set?

Looks like it might be smartest to stay out of this for now at least.

DuLac

Baxar's is compatible w/ the base set. As for power creep, I don't see it but I'm a casual player. I personally enjoy the game and if you keep it casual just playing w/ commons and uncommons it's quite fun (and cheap if you get full sets on eBay of common/uncommon).

~telengard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also moved away from M:tG, deciding I'd rather buy one or two boardgames that 4-6 people can play.

"Just Say No" is probably a good idea, but Ebay for cheap commons/uncommons might something worth considering. Just play Dreamblade with a few other "peasant" players, and if you can do something similar to magic: limit the number of rares and uncommons you can field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Barkå
Sweden
Solna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There do not seem to be any power creep with Baxar's War, in the sense that it's minis are not generally more powerful than the ones in the base set. But as the expansion creatures are as good as the base set, you will of course have greater possiblities when you build your warband, making it potentially more powerful.

There were a multitude of special abilities in the base set, so Baxar's War do not mark a significant change in how the game plays. This in no way contradicts that positioning is the most important aspect of Dreamblade, it's just that you will have to take the special abilities into account when you move around. Without them the positioning would be easy and stale.

There also do not seems to be any more rules problems with the new minis, and it seems like wizards have really worked on making stable rules.

You could buy the starter and 2-3 boosters and get good replayability, but if you play wiht people who have an unlimited budget, you will not be on equal ground. I would actually say that Baxars's have made the game easier to play with a limited budget, as there is less need for the rares with the greater number of commons and uncommons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've jumped into it and have no regrets..sunk about $350 and so far worth every $1...if you haven't seen all the minis then resist this:

Dreamblade Base Set Miniature Photos
http://www.mrbass.org/boardgames/dreamblade/base

Dreamblade Baxar's War Miniature Photos
http://www.mrbass.org/boardgames/dreamblade/baxarswar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Browning
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actually played the game yet, but a brilliant review by Michael Barnes convinced me that must have it. As has been stated before: Dreamblade looks like a game that you can play with only a couple boosters and a starter. Now here is the good part:

There is an ebay store called the toy vault. I was able to purchase a starter set and 4 boosters from them for a total cost of $52. (This includes S&H) From what I have heard, this is more than enough to make a solid game experience. $50 is the same cost as the average store priced board game. Starters are $13 and booster are $7 at this store. Go check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get addicted to HeroScape - MUCH MORE SATISFYING. Also, HeroScape is not stuck in the "collectable random figures per box" catagory. When you BUY a HeroScape product, you know what you're getting. When you're putting together an army, you can buy however many that you want. HeroScape also looks damn good.

A "main set" being released sometime soon - figures are pretty damn good.

http://z.about.com/d/boardgames/1/0/_/h/heroscape_under_flap...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Browning
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My one big problem with heroscape is that it takes so darn long to set up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Lopez
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of it depends on how big your gaming group is, how much time you have to play games and whether you are playing competively or casually. I usually have an hour or two to play games in the evening before my son has to go to bed, and it is usually just the two of us. And so when we are looking through the game shelf to decide what to play, we will usually break out with the Dreamblade figures.

For me it offers a strategic game that is fun to play, sets up quickly and plays well with two players. And also with all the figures and possible combinations of those figures the game doesn't get stale. Also very simply, my son likes to play Dreamblade.

I have a lot of games I'd like to play, but really can never get to the table for various reasons. For example, I would love to have the chance to play Dune or Game of Thrones all the time, but as I mentioned before my gaming "group" usually consists of my son and myself (and sometimes my cousin.) Or I really love War of the Ring, and although my son likes to play it, it's not something he can delve into night after night. Now I do like games like Ticket to Ride, but only if I play a game every now and then or I get too bored.

What I'm trying to say is it is important to look at not just what games you would like to play, but when it comes down to it what will actually get to the table. When I am making a purchase decison it will usually lean towards buying some more Dreamblade singles on ebay versus Princes of Florence because I know what I am actully going to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
dulac3 wrote:
Dreamblade looks like a cool game, and I definitely like the aspect that it seems to be as much a board game as a CMG. However, as with many people around here I *hate* the collectible aspect of the game.

Then print out the full set from the free encyclopedia pdfs on the WotC site. Print three copies if you have the ink. The game is really quite good, and doesn't need the figures to carry it, unlike other pre-painted mini games. You can play booster drafts, you can play sealed, you can play constructed. All with just a little shuffling. And maybe $20 of ink and $5 of cardstock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian Bolt wrote:
Curse you! These are far and away the best pictures I've seen so far. I've already bought a reasonable mix of figures. But some of the ones I don't have look gorgeous. More buying... Sigh.

Or instead of hoping to get the guys you want and buying blind starters, you could get the whole set for free.

http://ww2.wizards.com/Dreamblade/articles.aspx?doc=20061004...

http://ww2.wizards.com/Dreamblade/articles.aspx?doc=20061026...

http://ww2.wizards.com/Dreamblade/articles.aspx?doc=20070119...

You only need the minis to play in tourneys, and if you are good enough to win $10,000 in a tourney, then you can afford to buy singles. Either way, you don't have to settle for not knowing what you are buying. Dood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gypsylord wrote:
My one big problem with heroscape is that it takes so darn long to set up!

That is why it is nice if you have the space to make boards that you can leave set up. Makes things really fast.. you get right into drafting.

Even if you have limited space modular boards help with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbass wrote:
I've jumped into it and have no regrets..sunk about $350 and so far worth every $1...if you haven't seen all the minis then resist this:

Dreamblade Base Set Miniature Photos
http://www.mrbass.org/boardgames/dreamblade/base

Dreamblade Baxar's War Miniature Photos
http://www.mrbass.org/boardgames/dreamblade/baxarswar

Dammit, mrbass, that was just downright cruel. Now you've got me wanting to buy this damned game again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.