GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,406 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Boardgame for a fan of these video games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jenilee E
msg tools
My husband and I have just started getting into board games, and have loved the ones we have tried so far. Our list is Munchkin, Pandemic, 7 Wonders, Dominion, Citadels, Legendary Marvel Deck Building, and recently Mice and Mystics. His favorite video/PC games include any of the Elder Scrolls or Fallout games, and he is obsessed with League of Legends. Does anyone have any recommendations for board games that might offer an experience along these lines? We are looking into Pathfinder Society for something to be like the Elder Scrolls (RPG, free-world-ish), but are at a loss on League of Legends. Recommendations? Ready? Go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash Up
Small World
Are the first two I would check out that may fit nice with a league player. They both have a very kill the other player heavy with "champion choice" like mechanics. My friends and I like small world slightly more but you listed off card games so maybe smash up is the better choice for you. They do not fit the rpg or free-world category but defiantly the league. And to be clear I do speak from experence; the same friends that I played those two games with are also my league teammates.

Good luck! I know there are more out there but thats what I got as of now.

edit add:
Oh! so to get a free-world feeling maybe try games that are related to the "pick-up and deliver" mechanic like Firefly: The Game. If free range is where you want to go. Firefly is the only game like that I have played, its good but you might want more options so ask more about that or ask others opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Dickson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite new to this hobby to, and some of the games you've listed are the ones I've either loved or am interested in playing. So I'd like to see what else people come up with as well. I would add pathfinder rise of the runelords to your list, very RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game is what I'd recommend for someone who really likes that open world RPG thing but it's extremely rules heavy (the rules are thematic and the game is very balanced). But it does give you a goal and a free explorable open world to go about levelling yourself up to achieve that goal.

Also, Summoner Wars: Master Set. Awesome game, very deep, quick playing, will appeal to his LoL side

*edit* Raymond's rec for Pathfinder might do it for you guys as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a reasonably priced copy I would recommend Runebound (Second Edition) as an elder scrollsesque board game experience.

Or keep an eye out for the Defenders of the Last Stand Kickstarter to start next week (if memory serves), it looks to scratch the fallout kind of itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Dickson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hadn't heard of defenders of the last stand. Sounds interesting though and very fallout-esque

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL is it?

Well, if I might introduce my own invention:

Whack & Slaughter

W&S is meant to be played with up to 8 players, each player fielding 1 miniature representing his Hero. Those heroes either duke it out in an all vs. all match or in team matches (4 vs. 4) with scenarioes like capture the flag, king of the hill and the likes.

The best part is: You can pick any miniature from any range, since the rules allow you to adapt your choice of attributes and skills to the look of the miniature and your prefered playstyle.

What's even better?

The rules are free - go and get them at the BGG entry

And if you've got any questions regarding the rules - I'm always around

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Summoner Wars: Master Set or Summoner Wars: Alliances Master Set.

Also, Mage Wars Arena, or wait to see what Mage Wars Academy is like.

Not very much like LoL, but Pixel Tactics is an excellent strategic game.

I'm not a huge fan of the Pathfinder Society for RPGs, but I'm one of those hippy, narrative style roleplayers. It's more than worth it to show up and try it, but if it doesn't click for you, don't give up on RPGs right away. Even Pathfinder can be narrative and sandbox, but you need the right group to play with. Rise of the Runelords, as another poster suggested, is a great adventure to play through.

It's also worthwhile to look into Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition. You can download the ruleset for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest thing to League of Legends might be Rum & Bones, but it isn't at retail yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenilee E
msg tools
I have looked at Small World before, I think it would be fun and a lighter-on-the-rules game than Mage Knight, although Mage Knight also sounds good. Rum and Bones is definitely one I will be watching for, as it seems the closest thing to a board-game version of LoL I have seen so far. Whack and Slaughter, I will be printing the rules and cards and such off to give to my husband for a birthday present next week, I think he will really enjoy that
As for Runebound, that one seems like a great game, but so expensive! (Around $200-$250!) After some research, it appears to be out of print now which explains the price. But I am wondering if Descent 2nd Edition is a good alternative? It is definitely one that I have looked into and will probably buy soon (for me as much as him, I think it looks like a blast!).
These are some great suggestions, keep them coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joyfuljenilee wrote:
His favorite video/PC games include any of the Elder Scrolls or Fallout games, and he is obsessed with League of Legends. Does anyone have any recommendations for board games that might offer an experience along these lines?

Mmmh I don't know LoL but it seems like a skirmish game to me...
What about Krosmaster Arena, it has simple rules with a very anime, videogame* tactical game heart (area of effects, super deformed pre-painted mini, 3D cardboard elements, summons, cute items & power-ups...).

My nephew loves it and I found myself extremely surprised how much I've enjoyed playing myself; don't let the cuteness fool you, there is strategy here, both in the squad assembly (healer + tank? ranged + sorceror?...) and in the skirmish phase (attack up front throwing the hard hitters in the middle, take your time to collect money and power-up while swarming with summons...).
Yeah it's not chess, but it's light and fast and fun.

Beware this can turn into a money-milking trap (tons of chara upgrade packs) - the base set is just good enough if you don't plan to play it competitively!
* The kiddo explained me it's based on some weird videogame called Wakfu, or Dofus - didn't get it...

Other suggestions:

- I absolutely love Mage Knight and I wrote a review saying that it isn't that hard to get in; but, surely it's not in the same range of complexity as Munchkin, Dominion or other deckbuilders. There are many moving parts, rules to remember and mental gymnastic to solve puzzles each turn, for 2-3 hours. Again, to me, it's pure awesome and a worthwile experience, but I see that it may not be for everyone, please consider it with care.

- Have a look at Cadwallon, it's a simple game where you lead a gang of thieves struggling to amass more money than your rivals. Mixed reviews about it.

- Also, Super Dungeon Explore is another chibi miniature fight, 1-vs-many. It looks gorgeous but it's quite expensive. I don't know if it's worth the effort to be honest.

- If you want a rpg-feeling with an eye on tactical combat, I think Descent is your way to go. It takes a group of players (4+) to be fully enjoyed but there are co-op variants and mods, heck somebody even soloed it (Nerdook's D6 automated Overlord)! Tons of expansions and a huge community... if you can think of something about "fantasy", you'll find it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
This IS my happy face...
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest might be something worth looking at. It has a fantasy theme, hero drafting, PvP and PvE aspects and ist quick to setup and play.

I never played Krosmaster: Arena, but I heard it's what comes next to the MOBA genre on the PC.

For the Story/Exploration/PvE part of Skyrim and Fallout, Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients might be something since it does not need a dungeon master and you can play on the same side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Morris
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Duel of Ages II for that League of Legends itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rhoades
msg tools
I really enjoyed League of Legends and avoid that type of miniatures games so I guess it depends on what you enjoy about the game. To me the core of LoL is a wide variety of characters available to you and you can try out and pick and choose the characters based on your style. To me games that do a bunch of promos is the opposite of offering this versatility because unless you purchase the game during a certain period of time you are locked away from those characters. In LoL if you want a character from 2009 it becomes cheaper and easier to obtain not more difficult.

The board games I played that scratched that itch for me was Sentinels of the Multiverse and Battlecon albeit thematically different. +1 everything Jin Juku said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.