Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This, to me, would be as close to the ultimate rail game out there. I am wondering if anyone would be interest in seeing Age of Steam get an 18XX twist to it.

Myself, this would be VERY much of interest to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently working on something similar, but more in the Prairie Rails vein than the 18XX one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
docreason wrote:
This, to me, would be as close to the ultimate rail game out there. I am wondering if anyone would be interest in seeing Age of Steam get an 18XX twist to it.

You betcha. I've been noodling several ideas in this vein, ranging a partnership game which uses percentile share ownership, to something using an 1829-style linear stock market (handling share sales is...interesting).

One thing I'd note though is that adding a shares market to Age of Steam results in something that really isn't Age of Steam any more. They're something else, something far closer to an introductory 18XX (1829 or 1830 branch) and should probably be considered as such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:

We are releasing something along that vein next Essen, along with two new railroad games.

meeple

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Jeez. Sell us crack cocaine instead, why dontcha? surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
A limited run for Essen attendees or for the market at large?

John Bohrer wrote:
docreason wrote:

We are releasing something along that vein next Essen, along with two new railroad games.

meeple

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something that I wanted, but now it looks like the market is over-saturated before any are released. May the best designs win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
One thing I'd note though is that adding a shares market to Age of Steam results in something that really isn't Age of Steam any more. They're something else, something far closer to an introductory 18XX (1829 or 1830 branch) and should probably be considered as such.

The more I think about this, the less enamoured I am by the idea of grafting in an 18XX-style shares system. I would much rather play an 18XX game (that's my personal taste); especially if JC is right about this (and I would wager he is).

However if this was successfully done so that AoS still used the same basic system and played in roughly the same time - with the added tension of a shares market - I'd go for it. I hate sounding negative (I don't mean to be); I don't think it's an impossible task, I just think this is along the lines of the fabled "Civ-Lite". We may never see a variant that works well enough, or at least not to my expectations.

Having said all that, I'll be trying myself - right after I've grafted in another variant to my upcoming GB map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.