Popular Tags: [View All]
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The night before Thanksgiving weekend, Randy, my wife (Leah) and I began to binge on boardgames. Leonardo DaVince was the 2nd game of the night and this was our very first 3 player sessing of it.

We played with the advanced setup. There were two bronze inventions and 2 silver inventions with one being the same category as one of the bronze inventions. Leah and I decided to upgrade our laboratory and get a component for the two bronze inventions. I grabbed the component for the bronze invention that is in the same category as the silver invention already up. Leah, saw me do this and opted to get the other bronze invention instead. Randy decided to start with 5 florins and with 4 components to give himself flexibility for the first few turns and started going for one of the silver inventions.

The game started and Randy forgot the rule that you can't upgrade your laboratory while it started an invention. This slowed him down a bit since he was counting on this. Leah and I was able to get our respective bronze inventions and we were in good start. It was pretty interesting that in turn 1 noone went to the resource shops. We only bid on the council, workshop and the apprentice area.

The game progressed and we were all struggling in getting the right components and try to beat others to the inventions. By midgame Leah had 1 invention to her name, I had 4 and Randy and 3. I was able to have 3 inventions in one category which made me very efficient in that category. However, all the gold inventions for that category never came up and were at the bottom of the deck. At this point, Randy was catching up to me and made me very nervous. I had a rocking good start but mid game I couldn't decide on what inventions to do and just made me inefficient.

At round 7, Randy was able to secure the council and rearrange the invention deck. Luckily, he mistakenly bought the wrong resources and spent quite a bit on other resources anticipating the new inventions to show up. I also made a mistake by putting the wrong resources for this round underneath my laboratory effectively wasting half a turn. Leah up to this point was always caught 1 turn behind others in completing the inventions, which I think securely took her out.

For the last two research rounds I was able to research a gold invention (the invention he was gunning for but got the wrong resources for), which is my fourth different invention. He just opted to research a silver invention in a category he already has.

In the end, the scoring was

John Paul: 42 = 29 + 13 (for 4 different kinds of inventions)
Randy: 40 = 32 + 8 (for 3 different kinds of inventions)
Leah: 19 = 19 + 0 (for 1 different kinds of inventions)

It was a very exciting and nerve wracking experience. My kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.