Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] wargames [+] WWII [+] [View All]
Carlos O.
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I would like to get some recomendations: I´m looking for a World War II squad level game. My overall idea is something detailed at the tactical squad level but without overly complicated or complex rules, something you could learn putting some interest on your part in an hour, at best, maybe something like the original Squad Leader (which I played coupl´a times like ten years ago and with a reference list of the actions during the turn was easy enough for a 15 y.o. know-it-all).

So, anybody knows something like this?

P.S.: ignore the Axis&Allies: minis, those would be reasonably fine but I´m a student and my economy is restrictive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Either Memoir 44 or the upcoming Tide of Iron from Fantasy Flight would probably fit the bill.

Higher up on the complexity scale is Lock & Load, which should take about an hour to learn.

Have fun!

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple, you say? Fits a tight budget? Squad (individual man, perhaps) level? Look no farther than www.lostbattalion.com Sergeants! series. Simple. Playable. Cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
engelstein wrote:

Higher up on the complexity scale is Lock & Load, which should take about an hour to learn.

There is no way you could learn lock & load in an hour. It would take you 3 hours just to get through the rule book alone and several more to actually comprehend it. Then, with constant reference back to the rules, you could play it.
Its not particularly complicated for a wargame but learning it in an hour is just totally unrealistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Simple, you say? Fits a tight budget? Squad (individual man, perhaps) level? Look no farther than www.lostbattalion.com Sergeants! series. Simple. Playable. Cheap.

I second that. Offers multiple free scenarios and maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And, Lock 'n Load ain't cheap, if you have to pay retail. There was a sale recently, maybe it's still going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
the face of battle, Cheap (as expensive as you would want to make it)and relative simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
Tide of Iron from DOW

Tide of Iron's coming out from Fantasy Flight... currently it's slated for January. I'm eagerly awaiting it (and hoping it'll be good.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

I've been saving for some Sergeants games and will probably order them soon. Does anybody know if they fixed the problem they had with off-center die cut counters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander from GMT should be out in a month or so. It looks fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos O.
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations. I like what I see from Fantasy Flight Games but probably won´t have the evil empire (soviets, of course) in it. I like the GMT one too but I am undecided still.

BTW, seems I´ve asked in time for some good arrivals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic ATS Infantry game is only 4 pages long, Critical Hint sells an Airborne Introductory module for $25, and I bought D-Day Rangers for $20 on ebay.

I have a rewiew under D-Day Rangers, the basic game can be taught in less than an hour, the more advanced scenarios would take longer.

George

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL Starter Kit #1, if you can find it. I think they're re-printing it, but I don't know when it'll get to market.

Although the Starter Kit is much easier than the full game, the rules are still a little sketchy if you've never played it before. Luckily, there are resources (here, Strategy Zone Online, etc) where you can ask questions and get timely responses.

IMHO, the only real sticky part to the Starter Kit is defensive fire and all of its permutations...but once again, with all the resources available, it's not *that* hard to get, and once you do, there is a lot of fun in the Starter Kit scenarios. Most of them are well balanced, and just about every one we've played comes down to the last turn. The problem here is the number of scenarios...there's only 6, so you dont' get anywhere near the number you would in a game line Memoir 44, where there are user created scenarios available for download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.