GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,547 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

One Night Revolution» Forums » General

Subject: Is anyone else disappointed about the theme/name change to Revolution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it seems silly, but I'm really disappointed that the game is now no longer branded as Resistance. And I honestly can't wrap my head around the explanation that it was to avoid confusion over people thinking it was an expansion only to Resistance. There are plenty of other games that have standalone sets with the same name. I'm disappointed that the response to the confusion wasn't simply someone saying "this is a standalone game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The explanation is lame but I don't really care what they call it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
waitreally wrote:
I know it seems silly, but I'm really disappointed that the game is now no longer branded as Resistance. And I honestly can't wrap my head around the explanation that it was to avoid confusion over people thinking it was an expansion only to Resistance. There are plenty of other games that have standalone sets with the same name. I'm disappointed that the response to the confusion wasn't simply someone saying "this is a standalone game."

I'm with you, my friend, but considering that I'm not a paying customer, I don't feel particularly entitled to complain much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
They say the name change was to avoid confusion over whether or not this game is an expansion to the Resistance but think about this. What was the first "You are awesome" reward that we received? That reward was that they would include a One Night Resistance module in the upcoming Resistance app they are working. So if the name has been changed to One Night Revolution then will we still get this reward? If we do wouldn't THAT cause confusion having a module for game set in this new Dystopian universe in with an app for the games in the Resistance universe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
And 28 is coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah new name sucks. Makes no sense at all. I wonder if it's a legal issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a fan of this at all. The worst part of the whole deal is that backers were not a part of the process. We had no voice in the matter even though we helped make the game possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one am glad I didn't back this game. This incident is looking disturbingly bait-and-switch-y. The explanation for why they're doing it sounds really silly and possibly fake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tankbot
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm disappointed in the name change. They felt compelled to change the name due to feedback from a "small amount of people". I think they overestimated their "Resistance" branding and underestimated people's general intelligence. Seriously, do they think people blindly buy games based on a title without even reading the back of the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie H
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sorry about that, Chief
mbmbmbmbmb
I was willing to Kickstart a One Night version of The Resistance. I might have been able to live with the name change if it had happened BEFORE the Kickstarter ended, but it feels like a bait & switch to change it after the KS deadline. I've asked for my refund already, and I'm hesitant to back the new Coup KS. I'll see how I feel about it when I get my KS reminder email for Coup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Burns
msg tools
Very disappointed.

Stick to the original name that people were willing to kickstart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Medvinskiy
United States
Folcroft
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ekh_86 wrote:
I've asked for my refund already, and I'm hesitant to back the new Coup KS.

Don't expect to get full refund. Travis will substract KS fee first "because he never got them" and then you will need to pay PayPal fee. So, you'll get about $20 from your $25 pledge.

Edit: Looks like i was wrong and Travis really doing full refunds. Glad to see that IB&C is improving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hickname wrote:
ekh_86 wrote:

Don't expect to get full refund. Travis will substract KS fee first "because he never got them" and then you will need to pay PayPal fee. So, you'll get about $20 from your $25 pledge.

OK that is straight up shady. I've been trying to give Travis the benefit of the doubt here but that's not cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Geordie Geek
United Kingdom
Chester-le-Street
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
Hickname wrote:
ekh_86 wrote:

OK that is straight up shady. I've been trying to give Travis the benefit of the doubt here but that's not cool.

I asked Travis why he was lying about delivery about Coup Reformation, he refused to send me my games or offer any kind of refund, had to get the police involved and the bank to process a chargeback. The man is straight up shady, so this just stinks of the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
As long as I get my game and it plays well it doesn't matter to me what they call it. It's weird we weren't asked or told earlier before the campaign ended but again I'm paying for gameplay here not really the name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie H
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sorry about that, Chief
mbmbmbmbmb
Hickname wrote:
ekh_86 wrote:

Actually, the refund has hit my card already, and it was for the full $25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekh_86 wrote:
Hickname wrote:
ekh_86 wrote:

Well thats good! Hopefully he's learned from previous mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
I also asked for a refund and was provided it through kickstarter with no issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Lillo
Italy
Battipaglia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaFees wrote:
They say the name change was to avoid confusion over whether or not this game is an expansion to the Resistance but think about this. What was the first "You are awesome" reward that we received? That reward was that they would include a One Night Resistance module in the upcoming Resistance app they are working. So if the name has been changed to One Night Revolution then will we still get this reward? If we do wouldn't THAT cause confusion having a module for game set in this new Dystopian universe in with an app for the games in the Resistance universe?

I sent Travis a message about it and the reply I got is: "There is no change of plans to have a simple announcer for ONR in the resistance app."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timbob1907 Tim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like that it's a different name. The game is what I want not a specific name. Plus I like names that can be easily said. I already have one night and resistance. So it's nice that this can be called revolution.
I think all the hate is a little unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Medvinskiy
United States
Folcroft
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ekh_86 wrote:
Hickname wrote:
ekh_86 wrote:

Nice. Looks like Travis improved in this part of business. Coup refunds was not so smooth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timbob1907 wrote:

I don't think much anger is due to the name change itself but due to people not believing the reason IB&C have given for the name change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Geordie Geek
United Kingdom
Chester-le-Street
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
timbob1907 wrote:

I don't think much anger is due to the name change itself but due to people not believing the reason IB&C have given for the name change.

Nail on head!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Lillo
Italy
Battipaglia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
timbob1907 wrote:

Exactly. The fact that the reason provided rings so unbelievable opens up to a lot of speculations over what the real reasons are. If there really are legal issues over the brand, we should be warned about as it might cause delays or even mean we might not receive the game at all! (Up Front, anybody?)

The fact that we're offered a full refund is definitely the decent move to make, but strengthens my conviction that there is more we haven't been told. At this point, a couple of clueless backers causing the name change seem like the lesser evil...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Teague
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
This.

I haven't decided yet whether to ask for a refund or not.

But I'm definitely not backing Coup G54 and likely any other future IB&C kickstarter. My son will probably back it, however, as he's a big Coup fan. I've given him the option of backing through my account if he wishes after explaining why I would not be doing so myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
<not official opinion>I think they had to change it because players complained it had no mechanisms similar to the resistance and is entirely werewolf-esque. So, rather than a backlash of everyone complaining it was a marketing tool to use the resistance name to sell it, they remove it and get the backlash, immediately rather than later, for removing it devil

I believe asking the backers for a new name would've ben the easiest thing to do to make them feel less bait and switched.
</not official opinion>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.