Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anybody know why the rules state that if an enemy fighter misses, it leaves?

I've been rolling a D6 and allowing a 50/50 chance (even or odd) to come back for another pass.

Anybody ever house rule this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Savage
United States
Unspecified
Florida
flag msg tools
B-17 is abstracted, there are actually hundreds of B-17's in the sky all
around your bomber, usually a fighter would make one pass, swing around and take another pass at the bomber stream, (if he survived the first pass that is,) the chance of his coming back and making another run at the exact same bomber is pretty remote I think, the bombers formed boxes. It's tough enough to make 25 missions in B-17 without giving the
fighters more advantages than they already have anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not just remote, probably impossible. Don't forget the bomber is moving along at a couple hundred miles per hour. After the fighter has made its pass it would have to return to a firing position, but during that time the original target bomber has moved several miles away.
The main exception to this would be straggler bombers that have left formation due to damage. In that case fighers would be able to make multiple passes. I believe bombers in that predicament already face more attacks in B-17.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chairman7w wrote:
Does anybody know why the rules state that if an enemy fighter misses, it leaves?

I've been rolling a D6 and allowing a 50/50 chance (even or odd) to come back for another pass.

Anybody ever house rule this?

They come back if you are out of formation. The idea is that an unsuccessful fighter is driven off by the other B-17s.

Considering that the game is more lethal than historically (anyone ever fix *this*?) I think a B-17 can use all the breaks it can get. I have played this game around 100 times and only *once* has a crewmember made it through 25 missions, and not in the same bomber...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, thanks guys.

I am gonna nix my houserule then, Savage had it right, why give them any more advantages?

Watch your six!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me lucky so far but I have made it 17 missions in the same bomber with only 2 crew losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's not easy being green
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you realize what you've just done? You have jinxed your entire crew!I fear your next mission may be your last!surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
Considering that the game is more lethal than historically (anyone ever fix *this*?)...

The game is extremely deadly - it basically simulates the most deadly missions that B-17s flew. This is how I fixed it:

Before each mission roll a die: 1-5, consider the mission uneventful (other planes may have been shot down but your plane escaped unscathed) and mark it as successful with no casualties. On a 6 you do the mission, with all the risks that the game has to offer. When you only do around 4 high-risk missions per tour (as was historically accurate) your survival rate becomes much more realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Antone
United States
East Falmouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I don't think these missions were less lethal in real life than in the board game. Read this:

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/b17.htm

Brad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.