GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new version as pictured, not the 1981 original.

Have been meaning to get this to the table for months, but wanted to be able to do it justice as I've been relishing it.

OK, I played the first of the ten cases... The Munitions Magnate.

I don't want to spoil the case for anyone because there is unlikely to be any replayability in the cases, but you know that when you buy it.

Woohoo... I correctly deduced the perpetrator and the motive, but didn't get all the nuances of the case, so I scored 85 out of the possible 140 points.

Sadly I then had to deduct 5 points for every non-'free' lead I followed in excess of Sherlock.

It was my first case and I was trying to be meticulous and followed 15 scorable leads compared to Sherlock's miserly 4 !

That meant I had to deduct 55 points, leaving a final total of only 30.

But still a moral victory

thumbsup Uber thematic

thumbsup Beautifully produced. High quality documents and love the Newspaper sheets for each case.

thumbsdown No real replayability, but well worth the purchase price for 10 great cases to solve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice: forget about the point deductions for extra clues visited. Enjoy the ride!

Also, I can vouch that the game is replayable after a 25 year interval between plays. At least for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wwalker98 wrote:
My advice: forget about the point deductions for extra clues visited. Enjoy the ride!

Also, I can vouch that the game is replayable after a 25 year interval between plays. At least for me!

I shall be 60 in July so I doubt I'll be around in 25 years

I'm all about theme, I'm only checking the points out of curiosity,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bosch
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
badge
In honour of the brave crew of Hr.Ms. Java 27-02-1942 † Battle of the Java Sea
mbmbmbmbmb
wwalker98 wrote:

So true. I love following all the leads and getting the sub plots right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
wwalker98 wrote:

I shall be 60 in July so I doubt I'll be around in 25 years

I'm all about theme, I'm only checking the points out of curiosity,

I have a File in the section that offers tips on how to "replay" a case.

You'll never have the same experience with a case as the first time, but if you put some effort into "distancing" yourself from a case (the file explains what I mean) and perhaps getting the assistance of a third party to administer the quiz, I think you can revisit them after, say, a year(?) away from them.

…And try revisiting a case with a different group of players. Make yourself last in play order. Try not to direct the players you're working with, but discuss the case so far and offer some practical advice on how to take the next step in the investigation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
You did a lot better than me on my first play. We solved one of the side cases, but failed to solve the main case. Then again, it was late, we were tired, and my partner and I never thought to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
examine the crime scene blush and so never came across the cigarette butt, and were really confused at all the references in the rest of the case to what brand cigarette people smoked, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm treating this as a solo game so it's kinda hard to go last in the turn order

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo is tough, because you receive all the information and can process it without a cacophony of counter points. With a group, you might remember the leads you tracked down—but more easily forget the ones others worked on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Solo is tough, because you receive all the information and can process it without a cacophony of counter points. With a group, you might remember the leads you tracked down—but more easily forget the ones others worked on.

Well, the game recommends a pen and paper...

On one page I wrote down anything that I thought might be relevant from the briefing and on another I wrote down the lead codes along with anything useful they turned up.

My memory is awful, but this worked well for me,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:

Wasn't it originally designed as a solo game? I had it in the eighties and that's how I played it, not through lack of friends particularly but because it wasn't really marketed as a group game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keitharchaeologist wrote:
BradyLS wrote:

Wasn't it originally designed as a solo game? I had it in the eighties and that's how I played it, not through lack of friends particularly but because it wasn't really marketed as a group game.

I also bought in the eighties. I don't remember thinking of it as a solo game. Rather, I thought of it as a co-op game even though that idea was not fully developed. More accurately, the closest point of reference I had as AD&D (1st) without a DM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
BradyLS wrote:

Well, the game recommends a pen and paper...

On one page I wrote down anything that I thought might be relevant from the briefing and on another I wrote down the lead codes along with anything useful they turned up.

My memory is awful, but this worked well for me,

Pen and paper is an excellent idea. 25 years later when my daughter played the cases, we could compare notes. (Of course I kept my notes, don't look at me like that!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
You did a lot better than me on my first play. We solved one of the side cases, but failed to solve the main case. Then again, it was late, we were tired, and my partner and I never thought to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
examine the crime scene blush and so never came across the cigarette butt, and were really confused at all the references in the rest of the case to what brand cigarette people smoked, etc...

Been there, did that!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenmar
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wwalker98 wrote:

I definitively agree! There is no point in rushing to the end of a case. It is much better to investigates the nuances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Coelho
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I JUST played the first case through today and oh my gosh, what a ride!

Like another poster noted as well, we designated one person as the official 'reader' and I took notes, like a list of suspects, notes on the suspects, their addresses, etc. While I poured over the map and looked at my notes, she skimmed through the newspaper looking for odds and ends and then we would discuss our theories and next movements, with me providing the locations through the directory and she moving us along through the case book.

What fun! I haven't had this much joy with a game in quite some time--nothing seemed too far fetched or randomly difficult, and logical deductions from evidence more often than not paid off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.