Subject: I'm The Boss vs Quo Vadis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm The Boss vs Quo Vadis?
Which would you choose, and why? I enjoy negotiation games, and both of these seem to be highly rated as such. But in what ways do they differ?

Considerations I'm interested in hearing about include the ideal number of players, age/group suitability, game-length, amount of theme, luck, confrontation, tension, interaction, and social elements. Which of the two makes the best choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
But in what ways do they differ?

Well, one is a Sackson and one is a Knizia. They occupy differing means of getting to a "Negotiation Game".

The Sackson game has a solid mathematical foundation, upon which is heaped loads of random, chaotic stuff, which helps drive the negotiations, and cause them to change mid deal, etc. But there is so much random, "take that", stuff going on, it doesn't tend to feel as nasty as some negotiation games, and, it tends to even out as white noise over the course of the game. People are always sending people out of a deal on vacation, or getting I'm the Bossed, etc. This is what chromes up the negotiation in the game.

The Knizia game has a solid mathematical foundation, upon which is heaped, well, basically nothing. So it is very austere. There is very little that chromes up the negotiations in this game. But, that being said, it still works really well.

Quote:

Considerations I'm interested in hearing about include the ideal number of players,

ItB 3? 4-5 6? is best.
QV 3? 4 ok 5 best

Quote:

age/group suitability,

Our first game of Quo Vadis, my 6 year-old won. No one took her seriously. She agreed to most deals. She gleefully accepted a deal to shut me out of the Senate at the end, and as she had accepted most all of the deals she was offered, she won. We were shocked. My 9 and 13 year olds thought it was kind of neat as well. I have only played ItB with adults.

Quote:

game-length,

ItB runs much longer than QV. 90 mins at least. QV plays really fast, which is pretty neat. 90 minutes would be a really long QV game. This is what is so interesting about QV. It has a solid, if dry, negotiation game, that borders on a long filler game.

Quote:

amount of theme, luck, confrontation, tension, interaction, and social elements.

I'm the Boss feels like it is more fun, just because there is so much take thating going on, it automatically creates activity to negotiate about. Quo Vadis? - theme is pretty standard Knizia-tack-on, but the laurels, the Senate, Caesar, fit the game.

I own QV?, which I got in an online sale group order this year, and enjoy it. I don't own ItB, but have played a few times, and enjoy that as well. Which makes the best choice? Hard to say, but this might have helped give you a bit of clarification. Depends on your ideas as to what makes for a good "negotiation game".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get on very well with I'm the Boss. I never really felt that I had any idea what was a good deal or a bad deal, and consequently spent most of game either getting royally stuffed (for asking too little) or ignored (for asking too much). Maybe this improves with replays, but it wasn't enough fun for me to make any effort to play it again.

Quo Vadis for me, had a much more obvious value component, in terms of tokens and of position. It didn't mean that the deals were necessarily obvious, as not everyone's evaluation of who was the worst threat etc was the same, but it did feel like I was assessing things from a much more solid base.

Personally, though, I prefer Elfenwizards to either. It's very similar to Quo Vadis in many ways, but you have a dice pool of 'voting points' rather than a single vote per occupant of a room. The down side is it's rather difficult to get hold of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think that Brad has done a very good job of explaining the differences between the two games. Like him, I enjoy them both. I wouldn't want to choose one.

Elfenwizards better than either, Tim? So when are you bringing it to Chelmsford?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the most fun times I EVER had playing a game was a game of Quo Vadis actually. We had myself, two guys who teamed up together as a team, and three other people.

The wheeling and dealing was heavy, as was the posturing. We found out later the person who won cheated by hiding laurels in his hand. It was a complete blast though.

I'm the Boss is usually real good fun to, but I never had a peak experience like I did one time with Quo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:

Elfenwizards better than either, Tim? So when are you bringing it to Chelmsford?

I like it better, not claiming any more than that - lots of dice are not to everyone's tastes, and I know both the others are well-respected. I'll bring it Tuesday though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.