GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,813 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Sheriff of Nottingham» Forums » Variants

Subject: allow multiple different goods to ship rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've played the game 4 or 5 times so far

problem:
so far i've noticed that my bag gets opened a *lot*. like, almost every round. in every game. people's knowledge of my love of playing mindgames may be paying off.
however, what this means: in 5-player games, my score is usually in the very low 100s, with the lowest so far being around 60 (where i could not draw more than a pair for the life of me) and a high of 204 where i just drew continuous sets of bread and cheese and legally shipped 5 of them at a time, getting challenged and paid every round.

my options are: ship contraband, get caught every time, and pay up, or ship 2-3 legal cards at a shot, get paid a tiny pittance in penalties, and lose the game because of insufficient income.

proposed solution:
allow the player to declare multiple types of goods. 1 type is free. 2 types are still free. 3 or more, you MUST promise one of the cards to the sheriff.

this adds an extra incentive to lie (since promising the sheriff a chicken when you don't have any means you don't have to give him one), which will hopefully offset the sudden influx of truth-tellers somewhat, but will still make the game a little more playable for people like me.

as an extra bonus: this also makes telling the truth easier, so maybe the sheriffs will ease off on the bag-checking and make lying worthwhile again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the whole reason for only 1 declared good is to force people to have to sneak in legal goods when they are stuck with only 1-2 of goods they are trying to collect. For example, let's say I'm close to being the apple king and bread king. I have 2 of each. I can declare 4 apples and hope my bag doesn't get checked. I managed to get 2 extra goods in that round putting me closer to being the king of each item, but it's a risk, because if I got caught I'd lose 2 of those items and pay a fine.

There's a strategy in sneaking in legal goods that you don't declare and I think you'd lose a lot if the game didn't force you to declare only a single legal good.

Granted, I've only played once -- and this was a strategy I employed and I won quite handily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actually i think we've been playing the game wrong, and were only confiscating illegal goods - looking at the rules now, it seems like any misdeclared cards get confiscated...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infomage27 wrote:
actually i think we've been playing the game wrong, and were only confiscating illegal goods - looking at the rules now, it seems like any misdeclared cards get confiscated...
Indeed. If you pack 2 Chickens, 1 Apple and 2 Mead, then declare 5 Chickens, you only risk losing (and paying fine for) Apple and 2 Mead. Those 2 Chickens are safe no matter what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.