Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Claude Ranise
France
Croix
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Combat and Largest Army Variant.
These are two excellents ideas and have the advantage of being easy to implement.
thumbsup

I will definitly use the Largest Army Change without any modification

Do you imagine having two battles of more than 20 units while the third player wait? I think this would be interesting to keep the limit of units per attack as well as using the round approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Claude Ranise
France
Croix
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Combat and Largest Army Variant.
Thank you for tour clarification, it looks like I have missed a point.
In this case you are right the battle is much quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Largest Army:
At first glance your idea seemed interesting. But the problem I see is the nerfing of certain cards if they come late in the game:

Norse-Recruit3-Hel- gain two Norse mortal units
Greek-Recruit4-Apollo- gain two free Greek archers
Egyptian-Recruit6-Bast- All mortals recruited with this card cost one food

Other cards will become stronger:

Norse-Gather-Thor- eliminate any single myth unit
Greek-Next Age-Zeus- gain one free hero
Egyptian-Recruit-Osiris- gain one hero
Egyptian-Recruit-Anubis- you may trade mortal units for mummies (3 max)

The Egyptian player ends up with one "useless" card and two very strong cards potentially earning 9 points vs. 3 or -2 for Greek and Norse.
I know it all comes down to the luck of the draw but there might be an issue with balance. Any thoughts?

Regarding combat:
I like the system as is. But I like combat in "Empires of the Ancient World" better. It has Hit markers like you suggest, but also arranges the army cards into "fast" and "slow" - the fast units you commit to battle must fight before the slow units. Now if these two systems could be merged I would be interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the basic combat system but just want to speed it up, I'd suggest downloading the percentage charts that are here on the Geek. You just have to make one roll of percentile dice to resolve each combat, but the underlying system remains identical. Not allowing retreats by defenders would alter the balance (as attacking would be more attractive as would bashing a weak opponent). It would also prompt more army building, as you would have to build a large, strong army to try and deter such attacks. Both not allowing defender retreats and allowing the entire mix of units to be chosen for each matchup would also lengthen the game by making the average combat longer (the no retreat rule for obvious reasons and the added unit availability would widen the decision tree).

As the previous poster said, changing the largest army system would introduce game balance issues. Also, there are the same issue in regards to buildings. Are you going to assign points to them as well so that cheap houses don't count as much towards the largest city VP card?

I think that the solution to the largest army "problem" should come from the other players. If someone is stocking up on cheap, weaker units, then that's a point where a high value attack card becomes valuable. Someone adding tons of humans to his army should be drawing a target on himself. Combat is most often a poor choice, but not in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine the great variants you could come up with if you played the stock version more than once!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Claude Ranise
France
Croix
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by stock version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stock version: the game that comes in the box, playing by the rules as written.

I'm simply observing that it seems premature to be "fixing" a game after only playing it once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Claude Ranise
France
Croix
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I see, being not english native I haven't understood your sacartic humour. Thank you very much for the explanation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Claude Ranise
France
Croix
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on your ideas were interesting!
I will still use your idea for the largest army.

It is a forum, you can't prevent some folks to read through discussion and make some humour when it is easy to make. Look at the number of readers who read this thread, they did it to read new ideas.

So please if you have other ideas please let them coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the "largest army" variants.
I'll propose in my palying group the next time we'll try AoM and I really think it will be iserted as a "rule to use always"!
:-)
very good idea.
my thumb is up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve e^(iπ)+1=0
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to try this next time. I may add .5 toward the VP for the mortals, simply because of game balance.

A few questions:

1) What advantage does the Armory now give?

2) Is Ragnarök(Hemidall) the never-ending battle it was meant to be now!?! I've pondered how to make this happen so that this was a truly wicked card.

3) The Celts Berserk still lose on ties and the Medusa wins ties?

4) How do the following cards work:
Sekhmet/ Ares 6 armies vs 8
Isis - resurrect the unit the first unit - still counts as a win?
Aphrodite - remove one unit from board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.