GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,455 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Vinicius Matos
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi.
First, I'm glad to see the efforts of some collegues who do a great job with Descent variations.
However, I have seen that most of them focus the overlord automation to turn the game solo or full coop.
I actaually like the overlord and to play as overlord. The major problem of the game to me is the lack of motivation to kill monsters.
I believe that, "mutatis mutandis", the Forgotten Soul loot system could be used at the campaign or single scenarios with human overlord. We probably need to find a way to avoid heroes to get too much firepower early in the game, maybe nerfing the loot system.
What do you think? Someone here has already done the test?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see that the heroes need more loot at all- also, the coop loot system works because there is no pause for a shopping step. Incorporating a variant of the coop loot system into campaign would probably require cutting down (or out) the shopping phase, which would in turn make searching search tokens much less beneficial to the heroes. On top of that, too many of the quests have objectives which essentially force the heroes to avoid the monsters if they want to have enough actions to win- that's not really much different than not having actions to waste on searching, but it's a problem that's still there, but more exploitable by the OL (he could hide his monsters in a corner- or just not reinforce them- rather than engaging the heroes to keep them from gaining gear, whereas he can't move search tokens out of reach.)

All that being said, it could probably be done- it would just take a significant amount of thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinicius Matos
Brazil
flag msg tools
Another idea that occurred to me while showering - the wisest time to a man, is that the monsters could drop gold to complement search rewards, or even replace the gain of gold via search tokens.
Each monster cam drop gold according to his HP.
I know overlord could hide or not reinforce the mosters, but this looks quite similar than a limited and hard to reach ammount of search tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wallack Wallack
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
viniciusjf wrote:
Another idea that occurred to me while showering - the wisest time to a man, is that the monsters could drop gold to complement search rewards, or even replace the gain of gold via search tokens.
Each monster cam drop gold according to his HP.
I know overlord could hide or not reinforce the mosters, but this looks quite similar than a limited and hard to reach ammount of search tokens.

All of those ideas are cool but you are thinking only on heroes side. Adding features only to the heroes side would unbalance the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinicius Matos
Brazil
flag msg tools
Yeah, actually I thought this too.
The second idea coudl include some extra reward to overlord kills too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Rayburn
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some kind of morale boost for the monsters where new ones are spawned or get bonuses the more heroes are killed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinicius Matos
Brazil
flag msg tools
I thought extra xp for overlord, but morale and bonuses is nice too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wallack Wallack
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
viniciusjf wrote:
I thought extra xp for overlord, but morale and bonuses is nice too.

You can always play more as a GM or DM or even use the automated OL variants if you want to have more loot for the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.