GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,974 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games you recommend with the Take That Mechanic. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan García
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi as the subject says, I will like to get games with the take that element, games that can players can flip from the last place to first in one turn.
I like all type of games light or heavy so recommend anything euro's, area control, strategy, card games, etc.
If it has backstabbery or hidden traitor mechanic that is a bonus.
The most player interaction the better.
I don't like munchkin so no munchkin please.meeplearrrhrobotninjameeple

BGG description of "Take that mechanic":
Maneuvers that directly attack opposing player's strength, level, life points or do something else to impede their progress, while usually providing the main engine for player interaction in the game. Usually used in card games. Mille Bornes is a good example. Munchkin or Give Me The Brain! could also be considered to use variants of this mechanic, where single unforeseen card plays can cause huge swings in player progress or power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb

The publisher Smirk & Dagger Games is very well known for their take-that games.

Cutthroat Caverns is probably their most popular game, and has a lot of expansion support.

~J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers

Starts off as a Euro with a little friendly pilferage, but you can bet that by the mid-game everyone will be maneuvering for the final stages where, inevitably, the winner will be the one who times the placement of his final colony simultaneous to screwing over his biggest rivals.

Great example of a game where nobody is really winning until the last turn, and being ahead just makes you a bigger target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Napolitano
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tammany Hall

Highly interactive and very fierce.

It is a top game in my collection. Check out our recent review of it on the Tattered Board podcast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cordz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Discworld: Ankh-Morpork as a game that incorporates the "take that" mechanic quite well. It also has hidden victory conditions which are unique to each player, which is a fun twist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Nikolaus
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre or The Red Dragon Inn (as well as all of the subsequent games). Both of those tend to hit my gaming group's table when we want to have a lot of direct player conflict.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rhoades
msg tools
+1 Cutthroat Caverns.

I like the backstab elements of Lords of Waterdeep although its not a primary feature it is one of my favorite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few of my favorite games that feature "Take-That!"/betrayal/hidden traitors:

BANG! The Dice Game
Ca$h 'n Guns
ECosmic EncounterW
Cutthroat Caverns
Dragon's Gold
King of New York/King of Tokyo
Ninja Dice
ENothing PersonalW
Rex/Dune
Smash Up
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
EWiz-WarW

Special Note: If you like games with hidden traitors/teams a la The Resistance, I highly, highly, highly suggest you take a look at The Thing Card Game. As an unlicensed game, it is only available by way of print-n-play but it is positively fantastically designed and is the best hidden role game I've played. Just make sure you play it with 5-6 players using the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Fleet a pirate-theme, pick-up and deliver, take that family game. ARRRR! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanuatu - which I don't like

Massilia - which I do like

Both are by the same designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster - just get your puny level-1 knight out of my face! I want that spot. Oh, and we're taking over your battle in France, and voting your favorite law out of Parliament.

This game deserves so much more love than it gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Smash Up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Alien Frontiers
+1 Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
+1 Smash Up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) is being reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand take-that games as card games with effects on cards that directly attack or hinder other players.

My favourite of these by far is Wiz-War (eighth edition) because: spatial play. Essentially Wiz War is a big stack of take that cards, however as spatial play matters and there's a limit to one attack per turn, the feel is very organic. You wait for combos, you run from other players, you run towards other players. The theme is very tangible (you eat a wall, heal yourself, and go on the other side). Best, I think, played with old school rules (variants in FFG edition).

There might be other games you might like, but aren't actually take that games:
- DoaM (dudes on a map) and area control/majority games. Many have conflict, but not exactly take that (games like Alien Encounters, Lancaster, Mission Red Planet, Smallworld, El Grande and so forth and so on. They're fine, but have dictinctively different dynamics to take that genre).
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork combines area majority with take-that in a very random package - good if you like the theme, if not, nothing special. Smash up is another area control + take that hybrid, however the more I played it, the more I realised how clunky it is, leading into AP and downtime.
- negotiation games. Fun. But a different genre. Cosmic Encounter is my favourite game, though I'd never label it as take that, though there are a few elements of that. Does allow for wild swings and very direct interaction, if that's what you're after.
- Bluffing games. Here there is some similarites, though different mechanics. Check Coup Not sure how to classify it, but maybe Love Letter would work for you?
- Games with some attacking. Again fun, but not actually take that. Survive! is a great family game for evil families - simple, thematic, vicious, though not really that swingy. King of Tokyo is a superb little dice driven conflict game, but no exactly take that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argent: The Consortium mixes euro game style worker placement with options to displace opponent's mage workers or end the turn before they can take all their actions. The objective is to become the next headmaster of the school of magic by winning the votes of enough of the faculty, most of whom are secret at the start of the game. There are spells that can be cast on opposing players mages, there are treasures that can affect them, and even the worker mages have different abilities. There are also spells, mage worker types and treasures that can help protect against being wounded or moved. On top of that the board can be customized between up to 30 different rooms where mage workers can be placed, and each mage worker has 2 options as to what their powers are going to be that game. All the options make for a huge amount of variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could take a look at Nuclear War, an oldie. There is going to be a KS for its 50th Anniversary edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of player interaction and tak-that?

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery! The base game plays up to 4, and it will play up to 6 with the expansion. You control a stable of gladiators and vie for influence within the city. The arena combat is fun, but I think the game is really won or lost in the Intrigue phase. Lots of bribery and backstabbing in this game.

Evolution has a ton of interaction. I'd call it aggressive, others call it take-that. It really does a great job of bringing survival-of-the-fittest to a boardgame.

Tammany Hall might be worth a look. No cards or specific take-that effects, but lots of room for negotiations and backstabbing.

For hidden traitor games, nothing beats Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game for me. It can be really satisfying to bide your time as a hidden cylon until just the right moment to reveal your true nature and wreak havoc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Borkman
Australia
Menangle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GUBS: A Game of Wit and Luck, a brilliant, chaotic card game for adults and kids to play together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Survive: Escape from Atlantis!

If you want something truly diabolic and can muster seven players, nothing beats Diplomacy, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always the classic Intrigue which distils the friendship-breaking horror of Diplomacy into 90 minutes of hell.

Otherwise, I give +1 to
Black Fleet and Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Cutthroat Caverns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Carrete
United States
Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should take a look at Chaos in the Old World. It is an asymmetrical area control game that is heavy on blocking the other players. Very fun but you need Addy least 3 but it's better with4 or 5with the expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a geeklist.

Feel free to suggest more.

[geeklist=190989]Take That Games[/geeklist]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Wiz-War (eighth edition). Great game, and we stick to the FFG rules.
+1 Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.