GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Village» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Strategy flaws rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand what you are saying, and I too believe that rushing the book and selling at the market is a strong strategy...

But I don't think removing the "call back to farm" rule really fixes much. In my experience, that is seldom used, and it wouldn't extend the game very much most of the time.

Your mileage may vary, and I woulnd't be against playing without thattt rule to try it out. I just don't think it'll have as much impact as you suggest.

If you play without that rule, please let us know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
woosh ito
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really curious to know how to counter the "die fast strategy"...

Anyone with enough successful experiences in that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty successful at this and fundamentally don't play this way.
The only times I've seen people go flat out for death they've often come unstuck if others don't follow suit: What are you going to do, fill the book on your own?

For me it's a game about the number of points you get for each action and making the best choice each turn but remembering you may need to compromise in the short-term to win out in the long-term.

A few guidelines I have in my head throughout:
Stay flexible and don't waste any actions: Always position yourself so you can benefit from whatever is available on the table. So, for example, never Collect Grain with no one at home (a big fat zero points for that action).
Spend time, not cubes (when you have the option).
When you die: Make sure you die in the right place. If you're using Marriage/Birth actions to make this happen you're wasting actions. I'm more than happy to allow you to use an action in this way.
If you're not going to win, do not end the game.
Be ready for the end and make sure you've got a big final move up your sleeve when it does happen.
Goods still in possession at the end are not worth anything

I think judging when the game will end is the hardest bit to get right. If you're flogging everyone to death you're making this much easier to judge for me.

One correction of the OP: Unless you're first player: when you throw cubes down The Well you are not gaining extra actions - you're giving extra actions to other players. They will be making points from these bonus actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your player counts for these games?

In a 4 player game, it's really hard for one player to rush the book without serious help from the other players. Sure they can get the maximum number of family members in the book, but that won't necessarily end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting point. I think it is a little dependent on group dynamic. If one goes die fast strategy and the others spread out, I don't think he will be able to end of the game (he will need maybe to get 7 guys into the book) and he will lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Batcow wrote:

And I don't get the correction of the OP, what do you mean? in every turn you may spend 3 cubes of the same colour on the well to get an extra action, so how do I give an extra action to my opponent? Letting other cubes on the table? That's not giving an extra action, you spend 3 cubes almost at the end of the round when the action you want is no more available and at the end of the round there are not many good actions left....

When you spend 3 cubes to take an action, you're not taking an extra action. You are spending cubes instead of taking a cube on your turn, thereby leaving a cube on the board for another player. Each round the number of cubes placed on the board will give each player the same number of turns. The first time the well is used in a round, the start player will get an extra action that round because of the cube not taken on that player's turn. The second time it's used, the 2nd player will get an extra turn, 3rd time - 3rd player, etc. Now it may not be a desirable action and it will most likely be a plague cube, but it's still an extra turn that round that the other players won't get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joerg Schaefer
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the game suffering from strategy flaws, it's your group suffering from groupthink flaws. Have a look at my strategy article for my thoughts on the game if you're interested: Understanding Village

Basically, if all players or at least three out of four go the die-fast route, this strategy will win everytime but everybody except the winner is doing a mistake because they will lose. Accordingly, every other player should be motivated to do something else to win. If they do so, the one or two players who do this strategy, likely will lose the longer game to players going a long-term strategy (council, church).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a few thoughts come to mind about all of this...

I have found the market strategy to be more powerful than the kill strategy. Any non-Inn game I have played where we let one player go unchecked in the market has always won. If you aren't playing a heavy market strategy, you at least have to take some of the tiles away from the person who is. If the quick-killer isn't also playing the market, I would try moving into spot three in the city hall and then using free goods to scoop up customers.

I have seen a player go the whole game only killing one person and getting all but one other meeple into the church. He only lost by four points, so its not a bad strategy. Since cramming the book with dead people caps at five people and church points do not, I would try using a slow kill/priest strategy to counter a quick kill strategy, but I have to admit that this has not been a problem in my group, so I am only hypothesizing.

Quick kill strategies also rely on taking purple/yellow spots in the book. By similarly doing a quick kill and taking those spots away from them, they have to work a little harder to get their last kills. You can't place in green/red unless you pay for the first step at which point you start looking at diminishing returns for those actions.

There is a card in Village Inn that gives extra points for book kills and also awards for a sixth kill. Whenever somebody in my group picks this card up, they finish very strong because they are essentially rewarded for ending the game early and penalize players who don't have enough time to complete their objectives. It is hard for others to amass points as quickly and it does sort of support the OP's idea that quick kills can be hard to counter. (This is also one of many reasons we don't play with Inn any more.)

The other "strategy flaw" we have discovered is that, when playing with Inn, players who are picking up cards score significantly higher than those who don't. Similar to my market comment above, I have never seen a player who didn't go to the Inn win a game (when in play). It is possible that if you were to play with Inn instead of vanilla, you could counter quick kills with bonus scoring cards.

Village Port also has "goal" cards that would be difficult to complete with a quick kill strategy. Again, just a hypothesis, but a player who can extend the game to complete their goals would have 13 points over somebody who played quick kills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If one person tries to kill quickly while the others don't and, at the same time, they use the "Birth action" as fast as possible to prevent the "killer player" from using it, quick-kill strategy is easily countered.

During my first games people thought market strategy was far stronger, but in the end it all depends on what other players do. If everyone use the market, it stops being strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Batcow wrote:
Geremiah wrote:
I'm pretty successful at this and fundamentally don't play this way.
The only times I've seen people go flat out for death they've often come unstuck if others don't follow suit: What are you going to do, fill the book on your own?

For me it's a game about the number of points you get for each action and making the best choice each turn but remembering you may need to compromise in the short-term to win out in the long-term.

A few guidelines I have in my head throughout:
Stay flexible and don't waste any actions: Always position yourself so you can benefit from whatever is available on the table. So, for example, never Collect Grain with no one at home (a big fat zero points for that action).
Spend time, not cubes (when you have the option).
When you die: Make sure you die in the right place. If you're using Marriage/Birth actions to make this happen you're wasting actions. I'm more than happy to allow you to use an action in this way.
If you're not going to win, do not end the game.
Be ready for the end and make sure you've got a big final move up your sleeve when it does happen.
Goods still in possession at the end are not worth anything

I think judging when the game will end is the hardest bit to get right. If you're flogging everyone to death you're making this much easier to judge for me.

One correction of the OP: Unless you're first player: when you throw cubes down The Well you are not gaining extra actions - you're giving extra actions to other players. They will be making points from these bonus actions.

When I am the first to have 5 in the book I just continue to play and gain points as anybody else if everybody is slow..meeples are virtually endless....it's not that I am at disadvantage having more deaths...as you write in your guidelines...use time when you can..that's not countering a die fast strategy if you say slowing down is the tactic...

The marriage action to bring back a worker is not a big deal, in every round there are turns which are bad or even wasted, so spending the action to come back to the farm isn't really a big deal.

And I don't get the correction of the OP, what do you mean? in every turn you may spend 3 cubes of the same colour on the well to get an extra action, so how do I give an extra action to my opponent? Letting other cubes on the table? That's not giving an extra action, you spend 3 cubes almost at the end of the round when the action you want is no more available and at the end of the round there are not many good actions left....

If you are playing well you have no wasted actions. Actions are the primary resource of this game. Cubes and time are secondary. You use them as efficiently as possible.
When I play the main way of working out who is winning is by counting how many wasted actions each person has made.

If others are not filling the book for you you're taking extra birth actions while I'm earning points. This can erode your advantage in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ok this was in Essen Euro tournament year I participated. I what I learned practicing & analyzing & in tourney:

Batcow wrote:
It comes to this: if anybody has a die fast strategy the other players will do the same to not lose ground on the city book and by my experience, playing with hc gamers, the game ends during turn 4.

Yes, usually. But last spots can be hard to fill, so player(s) having meeples in travel & city hall can sometimes lenghten the game (to turn 5), if they wish. I mean usually 4 turns. Players should always rush for easy yellow & purple graves.

Batcow wrote:
There is always a player who runs his meeples in the book because you get good points and you get control over the lenght of the game, if you slow your pace to much to gain more vp's somehow it turns out bad all the time. You can't slow the pace of the game forever, a lot of actions costs time so even if you slow down the pace your meeples will die anyway during the game.

Yes, especially at the start one should fill easy spots (yellow & purple).

Batcow wrote:
Letting people die is not a disadvantage as you have so much generations to use in the game, you'll not end up without meeples! We never arrive to play the 4th generation! Also...getting to the shop to get stuff you need everywhere else is one of the very first actions to play..but without cubes everyone tends to put meeples in the shop paying a lot of time...after 2-3 moves some meeples are already in the city book..it's almost impossible planning a good strategy going slow when the others are running to enter the city book.

Yes, at the start one should die as soon as possible.

Batcow wrote:
So, if the game goes 3 rounds and a half I can assure you don't have time to develop the travel, the church and the city council in order to make them a good investment. Usually we have time to develop one of those 3 other than going hard at the market.

Yes, the market generates by far the most points, it should always be part of your plan. City hall supports that (due 3rd spot giving free resources) <= City hall is quite strong. Church gives a few points. Travel is useless except for dying there.

Batcow wrote:
If the games lasts, say 5 turns, the strategies are all well balanced...but if it's going to be a quick game....market beats 'em all! Consider also this...if you don't spend cubes to travel and other stuff you can use 'em to get extra actions paying 3 of 'em for an action of your choice.
Yesterday I ammassed 35 points from the market in 3 rounds and a half in a 2 player game. Those were more than half of my points as I ended up at 61.
I was also the Church winner (14vp's)and the city book winner (12vp's), I was nowhere to find in the travel section and in the city council.

No, travel is still least useful. And again city hall is another way to do market strategy.

Batcow wrote:
The problem is, there is one rule which allows the die fast strategy to be to simple. When we play, Santa Klaus flies by when somebody ends up in the unmarked graves!!! You can't end up there if you plan well...and if you use the "come back to the farm" action instead of making love!

The meeples not living long is intended rule. This game was never meant to be about highly polished engines as far as I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Haas
United States
Lenexa
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You could house rule and lower the points of the meeples in the graves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my experience (100+ games played, mostly won), the Quick Kill or Meeple Mass Murder strategy in analogous to the Corn Barron Strategy in Puetro Rico. Against inexperienced players or at a table where group think rules, it seems infallible. To be a good player you have to be able to combat it. I can tell from the OPs first post that groupthink and unimaginative play have a lot to do with his opinions. He got 35 points from the Market in 3 rounds? The other players had to be so incompetent as to be essentially helping him make sales for that to happen. Also, he makes extensive use of the "back to the farm" rules to get meeples into the Chronicle (and thus was surprised that another player says to use it once, at most). This is a very slow, inefficient way to play. The Family action used to retrieve a meeple is a complete waste. The move to place a meeple in a good place to die near the end of the game (the only time that SHOULD be necessary) is usually a complete waste, too (only a quick dying Traveler has a chance to make points).

Some tips for fighting (a) meeple murdering maniac(s):

* Use the Family actions early: This ensures that you will not run out of meeples at the end of a round and be forced to take a Church or Harvest without the needed meeple. It also causes other players, especially the murderous ones, to run out of meeples in exactly this way. It also means that they will be hard pressed to get the #4 meeples into action in a game if it does not run to at least 5 rounds (a little math: there are #ofplayers+1 Family actions available each round. If you make a point of using the +1 in each of the first three rounds, everyone else will birth #2s in rounds 1-3 and that is it. So much for too many meeples!) Also, actions later in the game tend to be more valuable than early actions. It makes sense to spend early round actions on meeples and then you may skip the family action in a later round when you need to jump on one of the point-making actions.

* Selectively fill the Book: Aim to grab the last space in the Craft and Farm areas of the Chronicle. Even if you are keeping your meeples alive as much as possible, deaths will occur. Try to time them to grab the easy-to-get-to parts of the Chronicle. Helping fill the Craft area is especially important because that is the most convenient place for the murderous players to use up time. It is also the easiest place to get a well timed kill of your own in and for the same reason! Once the Craft area of the Chronicle is full, the more psychopathic players will have to choose between making the goods needed for the Market and getting their meeples into the Chronicle (and thus the OP's need for the Family/Retrieval action).

* Defend the Market: The Market is both the most overrated and misunderstood of the actions in this game. There are two ways to get exceptional efficiency from the market: One is to take the market cube when you can by multiple tiles. The other is to buy (at least) one tile ON SOMEONE ELSE'S TURN. The key to using the Market well, in general, is to do the latter in such a way as to prevent your opponents from doing the former. To do this, you will need to hold a couple of Craft items at your farm to be able to block your opponent from making a multiple sale. This can usually be done efficiently because all Craft items have primary uses other than being sold and because...

* Be a generalist: As mentioned above, the key to Village is efficiency. The most inefficient thing you can do is to take a cube from an action area which you cannot use. Typically, Town Hall, Harvest and Church actions are, in some combination, the last ones on the board. Town Hall can be used if you already have a meeple there. If you do not, then you need a meeple on your farm to use it AND it has to be the first time someone entered the Town Hall in the round and even then you just get the First Player Ring. The other two late round actions expressly require a meeple on your Farm. If you follow my first bullet point, you will always be able to use these. Meeple killers, not so much!

* Spread out, you guys: Your #1 meeples should spread out. One dies in a Craft house, one on the farm. The others need to get to Travel, Church or Town Hall safely before their expiration dates. This will go a long way toward not losing meeples to the Unmarked Graves. NEVER EVER EVER put 2 or more #1 meeples in the Craft area unless you are using the Quick Kill method and are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you can kill both before the Craft spaces in the Chronicle are filled. If any of your opponents are quick killers, or just plain old competent, you will not be able to do this. Remember, ANY player with a #1 on his Farm (or a #1 in Craft and another any # on his farm) can burn six Time (eight with a plague cube) instantly with a Craft action.

* Start fast(ish): Early on, use Time a "normal" rate, about 2 Time per action. This typically, will get you a one meeple each in the Craft and Farm areas of the Chronicle. If it does not, it means that at least three opponents are going for the quick kill, which means you need to realize that this will be a shorter game.

* Slow down!: Later in the game, use brown cubes to get into the Church and the third space in the Town Hall to make Craft goods without spending Time. In a pinch, you can also spend cubes in the Craft area, but that tends to hamper you from Travelling. Optimally, most of your cubes should be spent in the Travel area, especially if your opponents are group thinkers who will leave all the Travel cubes for you. These last two points have the effect of trapping the meeple mass murderers into thinking they have it made early, only to realize that the game is going to drag into a fourth and even fifth round because you are "playing wrong" and thereby winning.

Welly, welly Well, then: Use well actions sparingly. As mentioned, using them does tend to make extra actions for opponents. Try to focus on using them either to avoid taking cubes for non-actions or to get contested, point producing actions. But if you follow my advice, you will not face the need to take non-actions very often and you will have multiple options for generating points at almost all times.

* Go to Church: With extra meeples birthed early in the game, you have plenty for the Church. Do not rush, but putting meeples into the Church is the most open ended way to "monetize" them, which is to say, turn them into victory points. Also, remember that a late round harvest can be very efficient if you have meeples in the first window of the Church. Try to limit spending coins to cases where the meeple you buy wins a Mass or, late in the game, when necessary to get them out of the black bag. If you are not short of meeples, it is ok to have one or two in the bag trying to get lucky!

* Have fun!: Enjoy watching the meeple killers use take one empty turn after another. At an average rate of 2 points per action, it takes only a net of four "dead" cube takings to make the difference between 3 meeples in the Chronicle and five!

All of the above is solid advice, but it does not mean that the Meeple Mass Murder strategy is bad. Like Corn in Puerto Rico, it is a fine strategy which can win and will win its share of games. it is especially true if super-majority of player (3 out of 4 or 4 out of 5) are going for a quick kill. Contrary to most Euro-game strategies, this is a case where you cannot simply play differently than the group think strategy. But it is not an unbeatable strategy, not even close.

The OPs position on this is driven by a couple of wrong assumptions about what it is possible to do in the game. One is that the Market is a dominant point maker in the game. This is only the case if your opponents let it be. Blocking multiple buys in the Market is laughably easy. Another is that killing your own meeples quickly automatically means you will shorten them game. Without a psychopathic super-majority, it does not. Finally, and most importantly, the mere fact that each players starts with 11 potential meeples, does NOT mean that there is no problem with quick-killing your meeples leading to taking non-actions. Each player is limited by the number of meeples he can actually activate, which is one per round unless he focuses on getting the extra family actions or spends Well actions on Family (a zero point Well action. Yikes!)

By the way, I have dubbed my anti-mass meeple murder strategy the Village Elders strategy. It works very well mainly because it takes advantage of one of the subtlest parts of Village. That is the fact that you cannot choose to only take certain actions over and over again. The limited number of cubes in each action area (and the high cost of Well actions) ensure that every player will have to use every action in any game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't quote the whole lot TerrapinStation but YES!

This is pretty much exactly as I play expressed in a much longer form than I managed.
Although how heavily I'll end up in Church/Travelling/Market/Town Hall can vary greatly from game to game dependent on what opportunities arise and how others around the table are playing.

For me it all comes down to points per action and reading the timing of the game end successfully. Keeping that in mind enables you to beat any 'focused' strategy people come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Geremiah wrote:
This is pretty much exactly as I play expressed in a much longer form than I managed.
Although how heavily I'll end up in Church/Travelling/Market/Town Hall can vary greatly from game to game dependent on what opportunities arise and how others around the table are playing.

For me it all comes down to points per action and reading the timing of the game end successfully. Keeping that in mind enables you to beat any 'focused' strategy people come up with.

I have been accused of liking the sound of my own keyboard clacking... this is actually the short form of my putative "Village Elders" strategy article. You are right that in any game of Village, you have to let the game come to you. When no one else Travels, Travel is an amazing point maker. Less so if you are struggling with other players for those rare travel cubes...

And you are also right about points per action. That is why I call the Market overrated. Sell a Horse and Plough for 6 pts, amazing!... but wait, it cost three actions (make Horse, make Plough, Market) so 2pts per... how average. Travel, if completed, is 2.2 pts per action over a 12 action arc!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TerrapinStation wrote:
And you are also right about points per action. That is why I call the Market overrated. Sell a Horse and Plough for 6 pts, amazing!... but wait, it cost three actions (make Horse, make Plough, Market) so 2pts per... how average. Travel, if completed, is 2.2 pts per action over a 12 action arc!

You're assuming one sell per market action. If you piggy back on someone else's market actions, that 6 points for two actions, which is actually 3 pts per action! In the games I've been people who initiate market day, usually get two sales out of it. You're not doing the math correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
TerrapinStation wrote:

You're assuming one sell per market action. If you piggy back on someone else's market actions, that 6 points for two actions, which is actually 3 pts per action! In the games I've been people who initiate market day, usually get two sales out of it. You're not doing the math correctly.
Yes, if someone is allowed to shop the market at will then they're going to do pretty well.
I always aim to take advantage of the market and always have green cubes to spend when it comes up and will even open a market if I'm well positioned but, as a 'strategy' it's easy for others to mess with and isn't as profitable as many think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've played this strictly 4er only, so this might not hold on different player counts.

TerrapinStation wrote:
* Use the Family actions early:

There are 4 family actions. Unless you take black cube from family action, you are not pushing time forward. That means everyone can take family action (if needed) after you and not lose pace in competition for yellow/purple graves.

TerrapinStation wrote:
* Selectively fill the Book: Aim to grab the last space in the Craft and Farm areas of the Chronicle.

There are 8 spaces in yellow+purple. That is dividable by 4, so everyone should get 2. Waiting "right" moment will force you to do time consuming move in right monent. It will change very little & restrict your action.

TerrapinStation wrote:
* Defend the Market:

I count "defending the market" as market strategy, if you have enough goods. If not, market player(s) can simply start another market via well after one is finished. Usually its the 2nd- trade that will get multiple sales.

TerrapinStation wrote:
* Be a generalist:

Yes, its good to be able to do actions. Town Hall is very, very good action space once you get to 3rd space. Usually in games I have played travelling is competing for the last action (with harvest & church).

TerrapinStation wrote:
* Spread out, you guys:

Yes, die into the book. However, if you don't die fast enough & everyone is doing it spreading out doesn't help. If you are dieing fast, its not "elder strategy".

TerrapinStation wrote:
* Start fast(ish): Early on, use Time a "normal" rate, about 2 Time per action.

I see as normal to die very fast into yellow book. In 2-3 first rounds (everyone has played) they should be filled.

TerrapinStation wrote:
* Slow down!:

Agreed. Once yellow+purple is filled, it might be good to slow pace down. Point making otherwise will be more important.

TerrapinStation wrote:
Welly, welly Well, then: Use well actions sparingly. As mentioned, using them does tend to make extra actions for opponents.

First time anyone uses well at a turn the first player gets a free action. 2nd time anyone uses it 2nd player gets a free action. And so on. Its important to know who will get the action. Usually it should be you & usually you should use well when you get extra action.

davypi wrote:
TerrapinStation wrote:

Also travelling uses 12 extra cubes. That is 4 actions via well. It makes travelling quite inefficient. One should note that since first travel gets you 1+3 points (4), the travelling actions are about the same no matter how many you get them. So sending a single guy(s) there to die is ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.