GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,366 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » GeekBay

Subject: Giving the Seller the Run-Around. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially since Jan 2015 I have noticed a significant number of ever involved requests for purchases that drag on and on but never close the deal. They seem to follow the same basic pattern;

1/ Geek message: I would like game x
2/ Mail back with postage options and paypal details.
3/ Long pause, longest 5 weeks.
4/ Sorry for the delay message, still interested. If I added Game y to the mix, whats your best deal
5/ Throw in some extra discount and revise postage.
6/ Another long pause then a holding mail. Yes that's great, I get paid at the end of the month I'll be in touch.
7/ A month later send a chasing mail
8/ Silence or reason for delay (usually absolute catastrophe, death, lost job, car crash).
9/ Chasing mail.
10/ Nothing heard again or 'I've changed my mind'

Meanwhile a growing pile of games sits on the hall stand waiting for a green light that doesn't come. Previously I've had this rarely, perhaps once a year. This year I have had 6 already.

Anyone else experienced this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, except that I rarely send chaser e-mails. So after the first exchange that ends with "Great! I get paid on Thursday, so I'll buy it then" I never hear back from the person.

Too many other fish in the sea for me to go angling for the one elusive one.

I haven't experienced such a dramatic increase as you have, but if I think about it, it's probably happened at least 2 or 3 times this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just say, "offer expires on [reasonable future date]" and save some headaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I get those, if I've heard nothing for a couple days, I delete the email and pretend it never happened. If a potential customer is not communicating with me, I feel no obligation to communicate with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I no longer even spend time on providing shipping costs, instead I provide them the ship from zip, the weight and box dimensions (of game box)... why? Everytime I have spent the effort on getting a quote, perhaps fifteen times, a sale never materialized. All my sales (over 150+) were from interested buyers who purchased out right. The interactions that took time on quotes, never, ever panned out.

And I can't miss something that never happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quintious .
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamers are flaky. That's just part of the deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont do holds, Buy now or move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
I no longer even spend time on providing shipping costs, instead I provide them the ship from zip, the weight and box dimensions (of game box)... why? Everytime I have spent the effort on getting a quote, perhaps fifteen times, a sale never materialized. All my sales (over 150+) were from interested buyers who purchased out right. The interactions that took time on quotes, never, ever panned out.

And I can't miss something that never happened.

I usually just sorta guesstimate shipping, based in prior experience (ie, "It will be around $10-15 -ish.") I have had a few of these pan out, although rarely enough that more effort isn't worthwhile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I don't do discounts (okay, almost never). They cost what they cost, right? There is almost certainly a better deal out there somewhere, and plenty worse ones. The gamer that has the time to find things cheaper usually has far more time available to waste than me. Haggling is a drag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I always add the shipping costs when I put my games up for sale. Sometimes I lose a few bucks, sometimes I gain a few. Makes life a lot easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Thorne

Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quit doing auctions for delaying buyers. I expect and posted 48 hours to finalize after I send the bill when the auction ends.

I get sob story after sob story of emergency room visits to unspecified emergencies that I MUST understand about the delay.

Then the local pickup crowd, expect me to drive to them. Then they want to lower the offer.

Many buyers here on BGG think that there is some kind of rule that they can offer to pay then wait until payday to get around to paying. They don't even ask for terms, they just quit talking and go silent.

I send requests for payments and hear squat.

Cancel the order and they squeal like a pig heading to the slaughterhouse. I have been called names and verbally abused by the same buyers.

You can't teach people to be respectful.

The percentage to EBay is 7% higher but they have to pay when you set the sale to require it. That is the price to pay for removing the non payers.

Of course, this is a generalized statement. I for the moment will not sale much here. A shame indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Laughlin
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zaxxon2000 wrote:

Word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2manygamez wrote:
zaxxon2000 wrote:

Word.

Photograph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-paying buyers are a drag, for sure. The way I deal with a situation like you describe in the OP is to tell them that I don't hold the games without payment. If they want to buy it, great, but if somebody else comes along in the meantime and buys it, too bad for them.

I'll be more aggressive about followup if they do a formal purchase via the BGG marketplace. I'll follow up a couple times before I give them negative feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If they drift outside of the three day payment requirement, the item gets relisted immediately. I will then wait a day or so, before cancelling the transaction - unless we have agreed on a different payment time frame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeramy Poulin
United States
San Digeo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eBay very recently (in their Spring Update) started forcing buyers to pay immediately regardless of the sellers wishes. Buyer can create a pending sale if the seller allows that option but eBay won't remove the inventory so someone else can buy it in the meantime.

eBay pushed for this because it's the 'standard' online method of buying stuff everywhere now. If you are holding items for a buyer for any length of time, you are doing them a favor beyond what should be expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.